What's flying over your house

David Pearce 4

Chap flew over on a motor Paraglider, on hearing the noise my first thought was the National Park boys were trimming the footpath.

The curved white wing looked huge and even though going slowly was to far away for a decent pic by the time I found my camera.

34 minutes ago, J D 8 said:

Chap flew over on a motor Paraglider, on hearing the noise my first thought was the National Park boys were trimming the footpath.

The curved white wing looked huge and even though going slowly was to far away for a decent pic by the time I found my camera.

Noisy things, there is a local club with them no proper silencers 😵,,,

• 2 weeks later...

A small low wing private aircraft flew over a few days ago, engine idling.  He got lower and lower, with just an occasional blip of throttle.  Seemed to be aiming for our flying field. When he got loser, he seemed to spot it was not really designed for 1:1 models, opened the throttle and set off in the direction of an airfield about 5 miles away........

3 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

A small low wing private aircraft flew over a few days ago, engine idling.  He got lower and lower, with just an occasional blip of throttle.  Seemed to be aiming for our flying field. When he got loser, he seemed to spot it was not really designed for 1:1 models, opened the throttle and set off in the direction of an airfield about 5 miles away........

We have a local idiot who lands on our flying field. in a microlight.We know who it is and are trying to sort him out. He has been reported the the CAA. Pretty sure he landed there today as I saw him coming back at 10 30

Sorry for terrible picture... Didn't get to the phone in time to get a good shot. Was out for a run at the time. It was only a couple of hundred feet up. I had about three or four seconds from first hearing the four merlins before it had passed over. Beautiful. 

20220903_152051.thumb.jpg.b2436af7aab24704a440557015983ec6.jpg

3rd sept in Gloucester area. 

Edited by Nigel R

BBMF Lancaster flew four circuits round our villages en route to the Blackpool Air Show.Then met up with  a Spit and  a Hurri .

The Pilot went to our local school ,so every time they`re nearby they try and divert over our village.

Sadly this will be the last one as he`s moving on after this year.

Screenshot_20220813-162010_Video Player.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

It may have been a training flight. Forced landings are often practiced into student selected fields with the intention of climbing away from the late stages of the approach and the blips may have been to ensure the engine wasn’t fouling its plugs or overcooling while in an extended idle to simulate a failed engine. 

• 2 weeks later...

There's the answer - big multinational exercise dropping parachutists at Arnhem.

https://www.gld.nl/nieuws/7764025/zie-jij-ook-steeds-vliegtuigen-laag-overkomen-dit-is-waarom

ARNHEM - With some regularity, residents of Gelderland can see planes flying low over these weeks. Sometimes paratroopers jump out too. The explanation is simple.

About a thousand soldiers from 13 different countries are taking part in a large international paratrooper exercise this weeks, which partly takes place in our province.

They practice under the codename Falcon Leap from September 5 through September 16 . And it is a major exercise, because droppings also take place in Groningen, Brabant and Belgium.

Paratroopers and cargo

The exercise does not just go unnoticed. Aircraft can fly low over daily. In that case, mainly cargo is shed in the first week. The transport aircraft and helicopters of the Dutch Royal Air Force and of other countries take off daily from Eindhoven Air Base.

In the second week, from Sunday 11 September, all participating paratroopers will come to Gelderland. They are all housed at the barracks in Schaarsbergen.

Defense wants to improve cooperation by exercising internationally and using each other's equipment and aircraft.

Market Garden

The grand finale of the exercise is on September 17. Then the annual commemoration of operation Market Garden on the Ginkelse Heide near Ede is on the program. Soldiers of the 11 Airmobile Brigade and paratroopers from other countries are also dropped there.

2 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

Shopping in porthmafog the other day, heard a light aircraft which turned out to be a tug towing a large glider. Glider released over the town.

Finished shopping, heard similar, a towed glider released over the town.

Operating from Llanbedr airfield as it's the nearest ?

Possibly but I’m not aware of any gliding activity at Llanbedr and there is no club there on the BGA database. They may have been from Denbigh https://denbighgliding.co.uk ?

There is a lot of tug and glider activity on Llanbedr airfield today, also lots of glider type trailers parked up there. One of the large hangers doors are open.

Take offs and landings into wind on the very long runway, passing over mochras beach, meaning no RC activity on that beach.

I bet the two chaps seen in recent rcme are pleased.

Edited by Rich Griff