Dave Burton (BEB)

Really sad to hear this.

I had the pleasure to meet Dave at Greenacres and at the Chuck N Duck at the nats a few years ago. A nicer more genuine bloke you could not wish to meet.

It was because of Dave that I took two models to Greenacres in 2014. Having built my Mini Jazz I took a look at his Dawn Flyer and built and flew that with him and others at the fly in.

My condolences to his family and friends.

He will be missed.

I'm so sorry to read this sad news.

I only met him once - at the Nats in 2015 - and had no idea he was ill, though it did seem I'd not seen so many posts from him recently. I can only underline what others have already said, his sensible, logical approach and the knowledge he had and shared with the forum. He will be greatly missed.

My condolences too, to his family and friends.

Edited By John Privett on 31/12/2018 22:04:12

Bit of a shock to hear this sad news. I didn't know he was suffering a terminal illness but he never let that show in all his interactions on the Forum. I did notice his comments had tailed off recently and now I know why.

My condolences to his family but my thanks for his input to this forum which has been considerably more than the rest of us can muster.

Such sad news, I never had chance to meet him but he always appeared to be one of aero modelling’s great characters. I used to chuckle when a new forum member disagreed with him not knowing who they were locking horns with!

He will be sadly missed by us as by his family.

RIP BEB.

Shaunie.

What sad news to wake up to on New Year's Day!

I only met him once, at Greenacres. I had seen pictures of him posted on this site including one of him playing the bass guitar at the Nats, so I knew what he looked like, besides, you couldn't mistake him for anybody else! So I went up to him and introduced myself with the words, "Are you Biggles' Elder Brother? I knew your brother at Bertangles in 1918!" Rather a banal introduction perhaps but it seemed to amuse him.

I lost my father to cancer when he was the same age as Dave. I am now eight years older. News like this makes me determined to make the most of whatever time remains. Deeply shocked.

Condolencies to his friends and family.

I was so saddened and shocked to learn that Dave will no longer be with us. He made such a huge contribution both to the magazine and to this forum too. When discussions got a little heated you knew that he would be along soon to bust a few myths and inject some calm logic to the proceedings. He was clearly a man of great intellect but also of modesty too. The lack of recent posts was noted and I feared that he might have some serious health issues. I never met him, sadly but I feel that I have lost a friend. He will be missed. My condolences to his family and all who knew him.

I only knew Dave as "BEB" on here. I never met him, nor had I any idea who was behind the moniker - let alone that he was seriously ill. We had our occasional disagreements - usually about the BMFA - but I never doubted for a moment the sincerity of his views. On modelling matters in general, it was clear that he had a lot of knowledge and experience, which he was more than willing to share with those requesting help. As a moderator, he was thoughtful and effective.

He will be much missed.

My thoughts and sympathy to his nearest and dearest.

Another one of the "good guys" gone, alas.

--

Pete

Such sad news; I had the good fortune to speak to him in person when he was still in a senior role at LJM University in 2017. He immediately struck me as someone who balanced his evident intellect with humility and a friendly, helpful charm.

I always felt his contributions to this forum and the wider aeromodelling fraternity were considered and focused on helping anyone who needed assistance.

All in all a true gentleman who will be sorely missed.