Winter is here....who's been flying?

I set out with good intentions this morning.  At home, the sun shone and the wind was light, but 15 miles west in Ashbourne I was met with a heavy overcast and a 12/14 mph westerly and 7 deg.  I was on my own and I sat in the car listening to the radio for 3/4 of an hour and headed back 😒  I really must be getting old because I just couldn't face unloading and standing in the cold, on my own and flying.  The annoying thing is that when I got back it was still sunny with almost zero wind!

Edited by Geoff S

Perfect morning for AS3X chuckies . Bright no wind. New 12 yrs old Parkzone Mossie UMX was a real handful. Tip stalling constantly. Got a new non flying members Riot up no problem. Tried quick flight with him but buddying will b necessary. No time for that today !🥺🥺Colin

Hi Colin - I've found the PZ UMX Mosquito is very sensitive to CG and used to fly mine with the stock 250mah battery and a small piece of lead in the nose. I've since removed the lead, changed the adaptor for one which will take the Volantex 400mah cells and she's a joy to fly now = provided you don't mind the parabolic arc of the wingtips. 🙂

Thanks Leccy. I’ve got HK 300 lipo in there , not significantly different to original . Found I had to use rudder all the time ! Haven’t checked cg. Must do that. Long grass saved it on the tip stalls. 😂😂😂. Yes wings look about to clap !😂😂 The elevators and rudder are paper thin and bend easily. Ta again Colin

mossiewingbends.thumb.jpg.4a506c35da619beff68f68d76eb76e34.jpg

I keep saying that I'm going to beef up the implausibly thin wing spars on mine - and agree that the tail surfaces are waffer-thin and very delicate - they can suffer extreme hangar rash just getting them to the field.

• Like 2

A beautiful day at Epsom Downs Race Course today. Almost entirely blue sky from 12 noon to when I packed up around 4:30. 9 degrees C and 5mph breeze (or less) straight down the runway left-to-right. A good turn out of 9 members in all and about 15 models, including one maiden (not mine) and 3 very successful flights of my Strange Quark EDF prototype. No fatalities.

IMG_20240201_134732262.thumb.jpg.85687c15d0407f028057db5213631a29.jpg

IMG_20240127_150519370_HDR.thumb.jpg.b6829b38eb4da72356abd174242b03c0.jpg

• Like 4

Arrived at about 9:45. Parked on the road as field looked a bit squishy. Sunny, cool, gentle breeze. Set up.

By now the breeze was far stronger, making it feel really cold.  Took off and found the Double Trouble needed half throttle to make any progress into wind... landing was interesting!

Kev turned up later, with a model far more suitable for the conditions. Big petrol aerobat.

Surprisingly, nobody else arrived.

Nice few hours chatting, drinking coffee, and occasionally flying!

I learnt I need a warmer coat.....!

6 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

I learnt I need a warmer coat.....!

Ever since I bought a one piece wind and waterproof padded suit and a warm helmet type hat with a chin strap to do up snug, I find that I can stand conditions that would have put me off before.  Well worth the £55 it cost to buy the thing.  Oh, and a pair of Zippy hand warmers.

Six or so years ago when I moved here, I was at a loss how windy it would be at the field by looking at the movement of trees and bush and bushes in our garden. It was difficult to interpret, as the merest movement of a bush often meant it was blowing about 10 mph at the field.

I woke up this morning to the steady drone of the wind as it blew threw all the nearby trees and over the roofs. I now recognise this as a gale. I rolled over and had another hours rest in bed. This assessment was spot on, as riding my bike to the newsagent, required me to select the small front ring, the biggest cog on the back cassette, as I inched my way against the wind.

I then thought of all you lucky soft southerners, who at present have zephyrs and get national coverage when the wind gets above 10 mph, threatening total destruction of the known world, south of the Watford Gap. PS, the world starts north of the Knutsford service station, some say Charnock Richards.

30mph+ winds on the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors, and today I have a model that can lap it up: my 40 year old SAS Cygnus. It’s proper 
aerial-bending weather! (What’s an aerial grandpa?)

I’ve had an absolute hoot but my thumbs can’t handle any more cold so I’m heading home. I don’t know, all this talk of “hardy Northerners”…

IMG_9776.jpeg

IMG_9775.jpeg

IMG_9772.jpeg

IMG_9765.jpeg

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Fantastic view jr...sas planes are good, come back sas...

Thanks Rich.  It is a lovely spot…some say the finest view in England.  I couldn’t comment - I haven’t seen all the views in England yet 😉

IMG_9782.jpeg