Winter is here....who's been flying?

Not Winter in South Africa, we are having a very hot summer around 30 during the day, some have been around 35 and even hot at night! My son and I visited a local club on Saturday and had some good flying. Both scratch built aircraft.  

IR2.jpg

IR3.jpg

IR4.jpg

• Like 12

Got a couple of hours in this morning, lovely blue skies, but the light NE crosswind made it far coder than it had any right to be, for the first day of the meteorological spring.  Flew both the Seafire and the Spitfire PRXIX and they looked ace against the blue sky, apart from when the PRU Blue did it's job and made the Spitfire all but  disappear.😮 Also did some single channel flying with the Super 30 and a post repair test flight for the wee SEMFF Zero, which it passed with flying colours. Just seconds after I landed a single Typhoon came over the adjacent field  at very low level and motored up into the Cairngorms, where he spent the next 45 minutes cavorting about before going home to Lossiemoutn for tea.

3 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

Got a couple of hours in this morning, lovely blue skies, but the light NE crosswind made it far coder than it had any right to be, for the first day of the meteorological spring.  Flew both the Seafire and the Spitfire PRXIX and they looked ace against the blue sky, apart from when the PRU Blue did it's job and made the Spitfire all but  disappear.😮 Also did some single channel flying with the Super 30 and a post repair test flight for the wee SEMFF Zero, which it passed with flying colours. Just seconds after I landed a single Typhoon came over the adjacent field  at very low level and motored up into the Cairngorms, where he spent the next 45 minutes cavorting about before going home to Lossiemoutn for tea.

Paint over the PRU blue with PRU PINK 

• Haha 1

Nice today with little wind with low pressure centred over the UK and not that cold either.

Filed impossibly muddy so flying operations restricted to a very small part of the field.

Not wishing to risk anything more delicate I flew to heavily repaired Big Dragon pusher.

Complt1.JPG.8b5d3cff6a129894e431603610803b83.JPG

All the blue bits are replacement printed parts. The red are original.

Easy to fly so just over ten minutes of climbing and gliding including some simple aerobatics just to get stick time in. Battery capacity would have allowed to go on for quite a bit longer. 

The interesting bit is that although the printed fuselage was so severely damaged in a crash the far more delicate Depron wing structure was completely undamaged thanks to it being rubber band retained and free to slide forward so slipping the bands off the forward hook.  

• Like 2

Another chilly morning, with light winds, grey skies and a short shower - such was the visibility though that I bottled out of trying that PRU blue Spitfire PRXIX against the gloom. Did get some flying in though, as did a few of us but it would be nice if Spring kicks in sooner rather than later.

Had a nice few hours out. The entrance to our field is still bog-like, and it's all still soft underfoot so it needed a few trips from the car to the pits....

Well worth it. Calm, warm(ish), dry.

Nice time flying the Wotty and baby FW190.  Think the LiPos for my Hawk are past it though...

Surprisingly, only Phil and I were taking advantage of a most excellent day!

Yes, today was a very welcome dry interval. There were 6 of us at the field. 

A club mate flew his E-flite Draco. I'd not seen one before, it's an impressive beast and flies well, but then so it should for the money (£600+ new, although he got his secondhand for £300).

A sun halo marked our departure. 

IMG_8826.JPG

IMG_8822.JPG

IMG_8487.jpg

• Like 4

Had a nice couple of hours over lunchtime, went from -2° at 8:30 to 9° at 11:30...... calm, sunny. I was billy no mates until I left. Nice time flying my Saito powered Spacewalker, and my little Arrows Hawk. 

20240304_114814.thumb.jpg.858c1dc0a8ae9781eb469c564a71f10c.jpg

Need it to stay dry for a few days so we can get a mower on the runway - 8 of my first 9 take-off attempts resulted in a nose over.

• Like 4

Not so calm in NW Durham, nice to see the sun and blue skies, flew the Warbirds FW190 and broke a prop first landing, gusty conditions replaced prop and carried on. Also flew my depron 109f. 5 turned up today.

Got out this morning in deepest Somt. Fog ,fog and more fog ! Patch a quagmire! Teaching an old chap on buddy on his Riot . First time. Fog started to clear and sun up there. It kept moving!!😱😱How I got Riot down after it flew into a fog patch that suddenly appeared I just can’t think ?🤯🤯UMX Mossie still rubbish despite adding lead up front !Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Not been flyable here for about ten days, pretty much constant wind and rain. Forecast is better for tomorrow so planning some flat field fun in the morning then as the wind is building after lunch a spot of slope soaring on the afternoon, fingers crossed.

Start your engines ..........

IMG_1880.thumb.jpeg.bca940dae9e54899d734310df7417dc8.jpeg

Really nice morning today. Almost no wind so no turbulence to contend with. Newly mown strip what could be better? ✈️😄

A bit of a loosener first flight, as I began by being a bit tentative. After that a really good morning. Here's to the next one!

• Like 3

Beautiful day on NE Coast - warm (sometimes t-shirt warm!), calm, sunny. A grand total of 3 of us at the field....... the ground is now firm enough to park on the field and avoid the 20/30 metre walk 🙂

Lubricating the power unit in my little Arrows Hawk means I can continue to fly it with my existing LiPos - good news! My Double Trouble continues its fuss-free-fun-delivery. My Wot4 didn't fare so well - about 20 seconds after take off I got a telemetry lost' warning and it flew a lovely curved arc into the ground from about 150 feet.  Fuselage smashed to pieces back to the wing, engine totally buried with only about 5cm of the muffler above the earth..... led on rx still solid so radio link re-established. I hate crashes when I did nothing wrong. It wasn't its first flight of the day.  I subsequently flew my Hawk again (after a successful range check) so I can only suspect the rx - which is headed for the bin anyway following such an impact.  

I left the 2 Kevs enjoying the sun, while I sulk and veg out to 8 hours of rugby, accompanied by beer and beige baked snacks.....

Edited by GrumpyGnome

2 hours ago, Adrian Smith 1 said:

Start your engines ..........

IMG_1880.thumb.jpeg.bca940dae9e54899d734310df7417dc8.jpeg

Really nice morning today. Almost no wind so no turbulence to contend with. Newly mown strip what could be better? ✈️😄

A bit of a loosener first flight, as I began by being a bit tentative. After that a really good morning. Here's to the next one!

Thats a fantastic looking grass runway.   Enjoy. 

• Thanks 1

20240316_115205.thumb.jpg.a31f94af5d2de8fb83f683767334df34.jpgNice morning for a maiden flight.  Bought a second hand contra drive and second hand airframe. Needed a new ESC and props - expensive.  Got in 4 flights and lots of progress on trimming.  Probably needs another 10 flights or so yo get it completely dialed in.  

• Like 1