Flying through covid !

Advert

Posted by Gary Murphy 1 on 01/11/2020 13:01:08:
Posted by Doc Marten on 01/11/2020 11:59:29:
Posted by BackinBlack on 01/11/2020 11:32:12:

Well said. People spread Coronavirus, so if you don't want it, keep away from other people wherever possible. If you HAVE to be close to others take precautions. Simple isn't it?

Yep....

Spot on.

Its like Peter`s mention of the 101 neighbour. She needs to have contact to get by. So precautions must be taken BUT needs people close to help.

It was said here that a family member has had covid 19 and had a nasty cough BUT that would be much worse for a 70 year old, yes so would the flu or such like.

The vast vast vast majority who get Covid have minor symptoms. We need to take care of the old and weak etc BUT get on with life. The way things are going no one will be able to afford any hobbies or pastimes soon.

All the rules and regs ARE NOT consistent. This will never go away, what are we all doing, waiting for a vaccine,good luck with that.

Look out for the next great depression because that's very likely.

The rules are designed to be not consistent - I am getting more and more irritated with the press who seem to immediately look for and highlight inconsistencies!

It is not about some things being safe and others not - it is about stopping doing some less important activities (like model flying) so that more important ones (like sending children to school) can continue - whilst keeping the infection rate to a level which can be dealt with by the hospitals.

I have been very disappointed with the press/media throughout. Maybe I am expecting too much - my expectation is that they report facts rather than express opinions that are almost always critical. Nobody can say whether actions are 'right' or 'wrong' as they can never prove it either way......

GG

Posted by john stones 1 on 01/11/2020 18:35:00:
Posted by Shaun Walsh on 01/11/2020 18:32:12:
Posted by Brian Cooper on 01/11/2020 18:24:56:

Crazy days.

I feel the need to buy more chocolate biscuits. wink 2

I'll swap chocolate biscuits single malt!

No one can eat just one piece of Malt Loaf. Doreen....

I think Shaun must mean a whole malt loaf John.

If you want my opinion, for what it is worth. Ginger nuts. devil

Posted by kevin b on 01/11/2020 18:44:13:
Posted by john stones 1 on 01/11/2020 18:35:00:
Posted by Shaun Walsh on 01/11/2020 18:32:12:
Posted by Brian Cooper on 01/11/2020 18:24:56:

Crazy days.

I feel the need to buy more chocolate biscuits. wink 2

I'll swap chocolate biscuits single malt!

No one can eat just one piece of Malt Loaf. Doreen....

I think Shaun must mean a whole malt loaf John.

If you want my opinion, for what it is worth. Ginger nuts. devil

Nope, natural Blonde. wink

We should be endeavouring to behave in the spirit of the regulations, not looking for ways to get around them. As someone just said: it's only a month, and the weather isn't very tempting anyway. Anybody would think that the government had it in for us ( the public ), in fact they are trying to contain a potentially fatal disease, despite the best efforts of a thick, selfish minority a significant number of which appear unable to enjoy themselves without the consumption of unwise quantities of ethanol.

Covid killed all the glider comps here in OZ, for the first 8 months this year, government over regulation (small number of people aloud to be in groups) killed the next 2 months. We were to fly in a comp on the 18th last month, the weather killed that day, wind and rain. Yesterdays comp, the field was flooded from the rain the week before. The next comp is on the 15th, 2 weeks away, I'm crossing everything.

Covid19, Government over regulation and the weather, I'm getting close to being able to count the days I've flown my models this year on one hand, two days so far.

Cheers,

Dave

Posted by Doctor Chinnery on 02/11/2020 01:00:08:

We should be endeavouring to behave in the spirit of the regulations, not looking for ways to get around them. As someone just said: it's only a month, and the weather isn't very tempting anyway. Anybody would think that the government had it in for us ( the public ), in fact they are trying to contain a potentially fatal disease, despite the best efforts of a thick, selfish minority a significant number of which appear unable to enjoy themselves without the consumption of unwise quantities of ethanol.

That's been my position since September. If the advice is to avoid non-essential travel I can't see that searching for a loophole in order to go flying is in the spirit of the regulations. I'm also acutely aware that many of our flying pals are predominantly in the higher risk groups.

A case of dammed if they do, dammed if they don’t as far as lockdown is concerned. A narrow path between economic Agamemnon and mass death. When Germany France, Belgium and Switzerland have now gone for a second lockdown it would be a brave government and not a little bizarre not to do the same. The exponential infection rate and hospital admission graphs speak for themselves.
On a more positive note the evidence is that vaccines will be a game changer in the long run.

if I don’t fly any models for a month I will have less models to repair. 😁 The power of positive thinking!

Posted by Steve J on 02/11/2020 07:00:54:

ROTFLMAO

>>>>> it's a month today... ask again in another month...

I truly don't know what the government's strategy is. It seems to be do what the polls say and hope that something turns up.

Their strategy for everything. Problem comes when the decision has to be made about something that needs expert knowledge, the public aren't made up of experts.

To, rather sadly, quote a current cabinet MP, "we've had enough of experts".

edit: Mods, apologies if getting a bit political there. Quite difficult to avoid politics completely with covid, life has made the two subjects a bit intertwined.

Edited By Nigel R on 02/11/2020 08:23:19

You ask 10 scientist a question you are likely to get 12 different answers which can make ‘following the science’ problematical. A lot of science is opinion, albeit informed opinion. Physicists still can’t decide whether light travels as particles or waves and the argument has raged amongst them for decades (it depends how you measure it). Personally I think they should ‘lighten up’ Ha Ha - sorry!

Economics is much more straightforward, the answer to everything economic depends on your political persuasion, or at least that was the conclusion I came to when I studied economics at ‘A’ level eons ago. If you are an epidemiologist you consider health and are not concerned with economics while the reverse is also true. In a rapidly changing pandemic brings rapidly changing priorities.

Personally Nigel I don’t think politics has any place on this forum, the clue is in the title, ‘modelflying’. The way this is going I can see this thread getting closed.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 02/11/2020 08:53:01

There are two excellent power flying days this week - Wed and Thu - and I'll be taking full advantage of both of them!

Thereafter its anyone's guess how long this go on but, like as in the Spring, there are several uninhabited slopes within a short distance from me which are entirely suitable for the exercising of both body and mind.

male

Without being unduly political, it still baffles me that I can't stand in an open field, at least 5 or 10 metres away from anyone else, yet I can go and stand 2m away from a complete stranger while I queue up for tea bags.

I am still working, driving all over the country, wandering around on farms with people I don't know.

That's not a risk because it's business, but somehow it is a risk if it's recreation.

Risk Assessment = Likelihood x Severity. The scenario is immaterial.

Can you believe it ,weather forecast

Monday =======windy

Tuesday=======windy

Wednesday ===good flying weather

Lockdown ==Thursday== Brilliant but no flying allowed

Then once we go in to lock down and can not fly Thusrday ,Friday Saturday ,Sunday Monday etc all calm days .Is someone up there having a laugh at us model flyers .I bet come December 3 it will be windy again for day after day

Posted by Matt Carlton on 02/11/2020 10:23:18:

Without being unduly political, it still baffles me that I can't stand in an open field, at least 5 or 10 metres away from anyone else, yet I can go and stand 2m away from a complete stranger while I queue up for tea bags.

I am still working, driving all over the country, wandering around on farms with people I don't know.

That's not a risk because it's business, but somehow it is a risk if it's recreation.

...all true, but of course standing in a field flying doesn't drive the economy forward or generate tax receipts....

Edited By MattyB on 02/11/2020 10:29:05