Servo Advice

Hi, I would appreciate any advice on the quality of servo manufacturers- good experience vs bad? I could pay for premium servos, but I would appreciate any of your thoughts on whether any of the budget servos are any good- (or bad!)

I'm speaking of middle of the road sports models that I fly, as opposed to the high end expensive aerobatic competition stuff.

Thx for any suggestions!

Advert

Futaba 3001 standard ball raced servos will usually be perfectly OK for mid sized sport models. Not expensive and I've never had one fail in many years of flying.

I've got a few of the cheaper mini servos from Turnigy and Corona (!)  in a few smaller models and to be fair, they also have been fine, but I wouldn't go for one of the budget brands in anything special.

Edited By Cuban8 on 06/06/2020 12:52:50

It is very hard to know. I have not been in the hobby long, so I don't have much feel for what makes reliability. With small sport trainer models my performance requirements are not much and so cheaper servos really should be ok, but there is so much variability in quality and quality control.

I have decided to rely on personal reputation in the absence of anything better. George at 4-max is well respected here and has an informative web site. Being a UK company trading on that reputation he has as much incentive to sell me a good servo as I have to get a good servo in my model.

Posted by Tosh McCaber on 06/06/2020 13:38:02:

One of the reasons for submitting my post is- I've bought a s/h Phoenix motor glider from a fellow club member- servos are Tower Pro MG90S, which I've been told have had good and bad reviews?

Probably because they are widely copied/cloned. Lots of info available if you search eg link I've a number of genuine Tower Pros approaching 10 years old which have all been fine. But like Barrie I generally prefer HiTec.

Hi tec are my first choice if buying new.

Futaba also excellent.

Savox are well liked on here I believe.

Cheap ones, well, you pay your money you take your chances I think. All the servos that have failed for me have been cheapies .

Edited By Nigel R on 06/06/2020 15:07:00

I've used TowerPro servos for at least 10 years, some of the early ones showed they were on a learning curve (eg Mg995) but the recent MG996, MG90 and the like are functional and have proved reliable for me. Precision they ain't but for general sports models they've proved fine. For standard size 3kg.cm units it's hard to beat Futaba 3001-3004 or 148s or Hitech 322-422, 425 - all much the same but I like to stick to Futaba (or Savox if I want to go up-market) so I don't end up with lots of different spline fitting spare servo arms.

The problem with picking a servo, (or any piece of model equipment, radio, motor, esc etc.), from a lesser known brand is often future continuity. The likes of Futaba and HiTec will probably still be around. (Though nothing is certain these days alas!). Say you choose a Hitec 422 servo this year and you don't need another set of servo until next or perhaps a replacement gear set, the HiTec 422 will likely still be available. The only caveat may be changes in specification / materials and or variations between batches.

Like most model goods, there are probably only a few actual manufacturers but a lot of badges applied to the same product!

My own view is the installation of the efficiency of the linkage and hinges has more to do with servo reliability than differences between brands.

Provided the servo is adequately powerful for the duty and all the available servo force is actually transmitted to the control surface it is much more likely to be damaged by a crash or handling than to fail in service.

Another vote for Hitec servos here, as my preferred servo of choice, especially in the micro and mini servo range. Excellent trouble free servos - Servoshop have the whole range at very competitive prices and superb customer service.. I also have plenty of Tower Pro 9g servos, and haven;t had any significant issues with those - they have mostly come in second hand models. I don't believe that I have encountered any fake ones yet.

The only servos I have had issues with were the old Ripmax SD200 servos - where I had three out of four servos dead on arrival and never bought another. Then theDurafly 9g servos in a couple of their ARTF foamies,where I had two aileron servos fail in two different models, causing them to crash. AS a result I replaced all the critical flying control servos in my Durafly models.

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 06/06/2020 17:02:44:

My own view is the installation of the efficiency of the linkage and hinges has more to do with servo reliability than differences between brands.

Provided the servo is adequately powerful for the duty and all the available servo force is actually transmitted to the control surface it is much more likely to be damaged by a crash or handling than to fail in service.

Agreed. It amazes me how many of the PNF/BNF models arrive with hideous linkage setups with long servo arms and short control surface arms. Optimise you’re linkage and your servos will thank you for it!

PS - I do like Hitec, but be careful of the plain bearing micro and sub-micros (the HS80, 81 and 82 in particular) - they have a tendency to develop slop in the output shaft and double centre as a result. The 225s, 85s and 65s are much better in this respect.

Edited By MattyB on 07/06/2020 09:55:29

I always try to use Hitec servos and my go to place is Servo Shop, the clue is in the name and Steve has a discount system, the more you buy the cheaper they are. Of course other outlets are available, and i second George as others have. He is a damn good Egg.

HS 81's can give a little trouble with centering.

Another good make I have used in helicopters mainly, is savox, but again personal choice, and horses for courses, and all that.

D.D.

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 07/06/2020 11:49:46

Beware of cheap servos being offered on e-bay . I have seen three club members fall foul of these dangerous copies

Two were supposed to be Futaba and the other were tower Pro They all centered where they felt like centering One set looked very good and worked well on the ground but once in the air they were all over the place and on stripping one a large quantity of solder, swarf etc came out .

4 servos for £10 inc post ? If it looks too good to be true it usually is .

Most are obvious poor copies but to inexperienced eyes they look ok . Buy from a recognised model shop but dont let them talk you into super expensive high torqe digital type servos . They cost the earth , scoff the battery and are just OTT for normal sport use.

Try asking a club mate if they have any spare . Most of us have a draw full of servos ...............just in case

Ps just looked on that well known auction site and they are still on there !

Price is a little higher but 4 S 3003 servos  for £12-50 inc post from China ?  BEWARE !!!

Edited By Engine Doctor on 07/06/2020 12:57:07

Posted by Barrie Lever on 07/06/2020 13:15:59:

John

Are you running HV Rx supplies ie 2S lipo's or conventional 4.8V?

If HV then Hitec 5087 is a superb servo and is pitched at the lower end of your size requirements and but with Big Boy real World performance.

Barrie

Hi Barrie, I am running conventional 4.8v. I will check out the 5087 and thank you for the advice.