New limit on groups in England from Monday?

Geoff S

I've just read that gatherinbgs of more than 6 people will be banned in England from Monday. Not sure exactly how that affects us but I guess fly-ins, shows (Weston?), swap meets etc fall into that category and possibly having more than 6 at the airfield.

Apparently it's because there have been more than 8500 new cases recorded in the last 3 days. Looks like more workshop time and less flying time

Really getting fed up with this.

Geoff

Advert

I have no idea how this works - our club owns its field so in effect, each member is a part owner. Can you stop them exercising their right to fly their models at any time - perhaps limiting any group to 6 within 2m at any time - can we have groups of 6 split apart by 3m - 4m - 10m - 25m?

We've introduced a limit of 2 on the flightline and 1 at a time in the clubhouse - are any others at the field simply regarded the same as unlimited people exercising in the local park while practicing social distancing?

I suspect we'll need to keep an eye on how the regulations are interpreted for golf clubs as they seem to be the first to get guidance/relaxation...

Edited By Martin Harris on 09/09/2020 00:39:08

Given the police/authorities have publicly acknowledged they can't enforce the rules as they are I wouldn't change a thing.

I don't think model flying clubs will ever feature as workload for the test and trace teams.

Sadly we're not in the demographics that are attracting attention.

I'm happy that I can fly models without risk to others even if I were carrying the virus.

Apparently pubs will be open but limited to six people at one table. Does that mean there is not limit for drunken people to gather as long as there are no more than six at each table?

Talking about confusion I thought the limit was six. When did thirty happen? There again during the week there are less than six at my clubs anyway.

Went flying last Sunday, six at the field on a calm overcast warm day, four went home after about an hour (What did I say?) little danger of breaching the rules.

Flew my GP Super Aeromaster after rebearing-ing the OS91 Surpass in it, had two great flights and four more with my WHizza.

Great Day!

Posted by Devcon1 on 09/09/2020 00:59:07:

Given the police/authorities have publicly acknowledged they can't enforce the rules as they are I wouldn't change a thing.

I don't think model flying clubs will ever feature as workload for the test and trace teams.

Sadly we're not in the demographics that are attracting attention.

I'm happy that I can fly models without risk to others even if I were carrying the virus.

I think that not being in that demographic is a good thing: lets keep our heads down and not present an easy target for knee-jerk legislation.

I hope the BMFA put out some club-level advice or a statement soon, I need to send out another email to fulfill my chairman duties and for my clubmates to casually ignore.

Actually the testing system is impressive.

If you have the symptoms you have to go and be tested.

People here in East Anglia have been told to drive to Aberdeen, Wales and the lucky ones to Bradford.

One lady who was due for major surgery in Norwich was told she had to be tested the day before. After a lot of kerfuffle she managed to get tested in Cambridge, a mere 60 miles away.

THey couldn't organise a booze up in a Brewery.

And the new government motto" It has all been changed!"

I drove into Waitrose this morning at 7.45.

The village bus stop and those in Long Melford were all crowded with pupils.

As you say, close together,no face masks. Never mind, unfortunately they may kill their grand parents. but why should they care.

There were about three or four customers in Waitrose. Most civilised.

According to Sky news there are exemptions. Including organised sports events . Are we not a recognised sport ?

Apparently more clarification of the rules will be released before Monday so don't pannick just yet.

Our club has just it out advertising for a swap meet to help raise funds for the Air Ambulance. Hope we don't have to cancel , by if we do then it's just too bad.

Posted by Ron Gray on 09/09/2020 08:44:08:
Posted by EarlyBird on 09/09/2020 06:43:49:

Ron,

Yes the usual confusion as the interpretation depends on the press report you read.

PM will issue a statement today clarifying the new rules.

I’m sure that Boris will make it really clear.

Here is the Gov’s document as it currently stands with reference to the 30.

Phew! A nice bit of bedtime reading for insomniacs - good lord, this stuff needs to be presented in a more digestible fashion - I'm used to reading lengthy bumf from my work days, but most people will skip it.

As it applies to model clubs, I suppose this passage is the nearest or best fit for what we do as regards participation.

You are able to play team sport in any number if this is formally organised by a sports club or similar organisation and sports-governing body guidance has been issued. Where there is clear guidance in place, sports can be played in groups larger than 2 households. If you are playing one of these sports informally, such as in the park or a private garden, there should be no more than 30 people involved (including participants, coaches, umpires, spectators).

An excellent programme on BBC R4 is 'More or Less' which takes a close look at various statistics and recently anything to do with Covid 19. Although one item this morning at 9am examined if jellyfish could swim as fast as an Olympic swimmer as claimed somewhere - answer 'No'. So it's not all doom and gloom.

Worth a listen on iPlayer Sounds.

Geoff

Posted by Ron Gray on 09/09/2020 06:37:54:

It applies to indoors and outdoors.

It would be great if the BMFA could issue new guidelines asap to avoid confusion.

BMFA have put out a holding news item, BMFA link

Members will be aware that the Government is re-introducing tighter restrictions on social gatherings from Monday 14th September. As yet there is not enough information available to determine how this will affect model flying. We will issue further guidance on the website as soon as such information becomes available.