E-flite 2021 Catalogue

Received the latest BMFA news yesterday together with the E-flite catalogue. After browsing through it for a while I have two observations to make.

Firstly, The range of Spektrum transmitters in the catalogue comprises, iX series, the new NX series and a reduced range of DX transmitters, only the DXS, DX6e and DX8e are there. Are Spektrum trimming back the DX range with the introduction of the NX series?

Secondly, the proof reading must have been done on a Friday afternoon just before leaving for home, or even done at home with the benefit of half a bottle of a good red wine. For example, the UMX Ultrix (wingspan 13.5 inches, mass 65g) apparently flies with a 6s 5000mAh battery. Similarly, the Night Radian FT appears to have 2 2200Kv motors running on a 6s battery, it must go like a rocket.

There were others and probably some less easy to spot, take the specs with a pinch of salt.

Edited By Shaun Walsh on 18/12/2020 07:25:06

Posted by Doctor Chinnery on 18/12/2020 07:36:09:

Not only that, but some ( most? ) prices are eye watering.

I thought the prices were INSANE!.

If somebody was just starting the hobby and used these prices as a yardstick, it would put them off for life.

There are many, many ways to get into our hobby cheaply, and as we are all short of new members this booklet has only one good use.................!

Dreadful.

The hobby isn't just about those starting in the hobby. Put an advert for a gas turbine in the magazine and the costs are high. The same goes for a multi-cylinder radial engine, or a sleek composite glider.

I haven't received mine yet and I agree that some of E-Flite's prices are high, but the notion that they would put off a beginner wanting to get started in the hobby doesn't make any sense. Ads for twin 70mm scale EDFs aren't aimed at beginners.

Posted by Peter Miller on 18/12/2020 08:31:32:
Posted by leccyflyer on 18/12/2020 08:22:35:

Ads for twin 70mm scale EDFs aren't aimed at beginners.

No but that is what the person who picks the catalogue up without any extra knowledge will be drawn to

I have a friend for whom that would undoubtedly be true, but that isn't who the adverts are aimed at. It isn't in E-Flite's interest to have a raw beginner roll a £500 scale EDF into a ball of bits in a 2 second flight. They have plenty of other models aimed at beginners.

Incidentally it's much more likely that folks like my pal would be directly targeted by unscrupluous internet scammers who falsely advertise something that they will not receive. He bought a Spitfire from a FB ad, which used advertising materials from Flightline's 1600mm Spitfire - a £300+ beautiful scale model - on sale for £29.99. The likelhood is that he would have received either nothing, or a tiny, unflyable toy and been dissapointed.

E-Flite are a reputable company, selling good quality products to a range of different modellers. They are not targeting beginners with their higher end models or putting them off the hobby.

Edited By leccyflyer on 18/12/2020 08:53:41

It appears to me that this is the LogicRC catalogue, not the official Eflite one.

I believe that LogicRC are now the EFlite/Spektrum main UK distributor. If so, my concern is that they only seem to be stocking the "e" series DX transmitters - ie. the ones without the twin diversity aerials, and with other important features missing compared to the full DX6/DX8 models.

The Spektrum website still lists the DX6 and the DX8 as current models as well as the "e" versions of both. Frankly I would never buy a DXe, as the full version DX6 and DX8 are far superior and well worth the extra cost. If LogicRC are excluding the full DX models from availability in the UK I would be very unhappy about that.

I am with SJ2, nothing better to do than moan, moan, moan. No one is forcing you to buy the stuff.

IMHO, as I have only been flying for 6 years I have a couple observations.

There are ARTF's and other well sorted ARTF's I have a Eflite carbon yak and its possibly the best model for cost/flying performance out of all the models in my hanger. Quality product that has performed hundreds of flights and made me look good at the same time. My Eflite Habu is another good performer + flown their new Extra and would recommend it.

Can't say I like SAFE and geofenced models, but people learning to fly see and use these benefits so if it gets them into the hobby then all the better.

What's the alternative, balsa bash? Like that's a cheaper option then dream on as even excluding all the hours put in the parts will be more expensive than the entire ARTF in most cases.

Looking forward to both barrels directed to the "rather annoying" IC guy at the bottom of the pits) wink

PS - used Logic RC for a DX8 gen repair this year and service was absolutely great.

I loved looking through the booklet, droool! didn't even read the bmfa mag, but studied the e-flite pamphlet. The prices are what they are- everything has gone up, not just planes. Just need to work more to get the same item, though e-flite stuff are high quality - you pay for what you get.

Only problem is that they are hard to obtain, now, for example had the Citation on order since march, and still not arrived...

On my list are:

NX 12 or 20;

P51D Mustang;

EC1500 twin;

UMX Citation twin edf.

Posted by Romeo Whisky on 18/12/2020 11:28:45:

...The Spektrum website still lists the DX6 and the DX8 as current models as well as the "e" versions of both. Frankly I would never buy a DXe, as the full version DX6 and DX8 are far superior and well worth the extra cost. If LogicRC are excluding the full DX models from availability in the UK I would be very unhappy about that.

The DX line will only be current models til they’ve burned through existing stock. The newer NX line will replace them once that happens (as per posts from the Spek guy on RCGroups).

Posted by leccyflyer on 18/12/2020 08:44:38:

E-Flite are a reputable company, selling good quality products to a range of different modellers. They are not targeting beginners with their higher end models or putting them off the hobby.

I beg to differ. I still have a very bitter taste in my mouth after my dealings with Horizon Hobby. I will not buy any of their (overpriced ) products anymore, and would not recommend their products to anybody else either. Best avoided like the corona.....

Posted by Jason-I on 18/12/2020 21:01:35:
Posted by leccyflyer on 18/12/2020 08:44:38:

I beg to differ. I still have a very bitter taste in my mouth after my dealings with Horizon Hobby. I will not buy any of their (overpriced ) products anymore, and would not recommend their products to anybody else either. Best avoided like the corona.....

Whereas my experience with E-Flite models in particular and Horizon Hobbies in general has been exemplary - high quality products and top quality service. I have no hesitation at all in recommending their products to anyone, having owned at least 15 of their models, multiple transmitters and receivers.

Jon (on another thread) made a really good point regarding how long/many flights a model may last and its associated cost and my point is that my Eflite Carbon Yak has clocked up hundreds of flights...everyone a pleasure to fly, If I could get another/spares I would seriously consider using it as a trainer as it just goes where its pointed and no vices.

They may be expensive, but if they fly really well and give hundreds of reliable flights then I put that way above chasing an ill mannered dog of a model around that spends an equal amount of time on the repair bench and flying.

I was lucky that my dealings with HH were very good and yes they went through a pad patch agreed (which is most unfortunate if you had a problem at that time) however I have had great service from Logic RC recently.

Why knock something you haven't tried? Who has used Logic RC in the last 12 months and who's got an Eflite model then like or don't like...?

There's part of me, albeit an archaic one in all probability, that baulks at paying nigh on £1000 for a foamy, no matter how glorious.

Mind you, there's not much risk to the investment as you don't seem to need any pilot skill to fly anymore. With GPS, return to home, auto land, auto stability, panic buttons and god knows what else, why bother to learn to fly at all?

Bah. Humbug.

Posted by Matt Carlton on 19/12/2020 00:12:45:

There's part of me, albeit an archaic one in all probability, that baulks at paying nigh on £1000 for a foamy, no matter how glorious.

Mind you, there's not much risk to the investment as you don't seem to need any pilot skill to fly anymore. With GPS, return to home, auto land, auto stability, panic buttons and god knows what else, why bother to learn to fly at all?

Bah. Humbug.

The E-flite/Logic RC catalogue that came with my BMFA news didn't have any £1,000 foamies in there, nor anything with autoland or GPS or return to home.

A direct quote regarding the Apprentice STS;

Easily upgrade to SAFE Plus GPS-enabled technology to add AutoLand, Virtual Fence and Holding Pattern features
Optional and easy to install Landing Assist Sensor (LAS) available for smoother landings
Includes everything you need to fly in one box—nothing extra to buy or provide.

Posted by Matt Carlton on 19/12/2020 00:47:14:

A direct quote regarding the Apprentice STS;

Easily upgrade to SAFE Plus GPS-enabled technology to add AutoLand, Virtual Fence and Holding Pattern features
Optional and easy to install Landing Assist Sensor (LAS) available for smoother landings
Includes everything you need to fly in one box—nothing extra to buy or provide.

I don;t see that in the catalogue on the blurb for the Apprentice STS.

I'm a little confused. The details of the product are the same I would assume, regardless of whether a particular advert explicitly mentions them? It's not the advertisement that I was referring to, it is the product.

What are you defending? The advert? The technology? I'm unclear as to why my rather tongue in cheek and scrooge-esque opinion of some of the tech on offer today is evidently rattling cages.

I'm not a big fan of SAFE or so on as training aids, or in general. I also think the prices are rather steep. Your mileage may vary, I'm not claiming my opinion to be the only one possible.

I also like to put cold brandy butter AND hot custard on my Christmas pudding at the same time. Doesn't mean I expect anyone else should do likewise 😊