What makes a good kit ?

RICHARD WILLS

Anyone building a Hurricane needs to check the incidence of the wing as mine went super wonkey for some reason and it flew very badly. I dont know why it ended up as it did but once changed to a more sensible position my model is now very much better. It would be much easier to change at the beginning than the end..trust me ? 

Its also hard as nails. I got caught out by a very turbulent gust a little while ago and the poor Hurricane was slammed into the ground quite abruptly. The assembled crowd were shocked to see only a broken cowl block, broken retract plate and a pair of bent oleo's as the only damage. All agreed an RTF would have turned to dust with an impact like that. Its why i am such a fan of traditional construction methods. Laser cut spider webs are cool n all, but not very strong. 

I think mine ended up at 9.5lbs and is over powered for scale with a laser 80 fitted, but i think anything smaller might be a bit wimpy. 

large.695578.jpg.fd54a2665081eb9dec585741b42bb02d.jpg

I can certainly testify to the strength of Richard's designs having been caught out in a similar fashion on a landing approach with my LA-7 which resulted in a damaged wing tip and a displaced aerial but more recently I made a stupid mistake of not releasing up elevator on take off which resulted in a vicious tip stall, damage is a torn off nose and a split fuselage, all of which are easy repairs.

Wholeheartedly agree to double check a build to make sure that it is as per the plan, my experience of Richard's designs is that they fly superbly well.

47 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

A Hurricane for me and a 110 and if I life long enough, a B17 Mosquito and a Beaufighter. And an endorsement to the durability of Richards designs I badly damaged the Spitfire, my fault and the JU88 not my fault and both were repaired and flying again in a very short time.  

Mosquito and Beaufighter? I need to go back and read more of the thread!

90 Inch mossie for twin laser 100's? yes please ? 

Now if Richard was to do a Beaufighter , count me in please, but at the moment i've still 2 in the loft waiting, while i finish the 110.( i/c powered - 2x rcv 58 cd's ) some of us are still working ? and have other commitments , perks of being married .

Edited by gillyg1

6 hours ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

Jonathan W is floating between Hurricane and La7 . 

Perhaps a Russian issued Hurricane in snow camo ? 

I guess I am saying 1st choice La-7 but equally happy with Hurricane if that's what you end up producing! I suppose that the radial cowl on the La-7 is better for accommodating IC power.

22 minutes ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

Both aircraft were originally for IC . So makes no odds . Choose your favourite . La7 would be 52 -62 powered . The Hurricane 70-91

Also Rodger Wright has emailed me to say he wants an La7 .

So list will be revised in a bit . 

Richard 

Thanks Richard, I did not realise that the Hurricane was larger. Usually the big ones fly better! What are the respective wingspans please?

Well I admire your enthusiasm for a B17 . But it wouldn't be cheap . My kit cutter has been keeping me posted on the price of wood and even when you consider that many of my kits are half foam veneer ,it still increases production costs . ARTF prices have increased dramatically , which , taking into account that they are predominantly EPO foam , begs the question , why ?

Realistically , as I am working remotely for the next 9-12 months , I wont be producing the 100" B17 yet . 

We also have to consider that , only about 50 people bought the Ju88 and 110 .  So when you feature the work load of creating a 100" bomber kit /manual + accessories , how many would have the space and funds for such a machine ?

Vic and I have had the dream for a while , and I flew a 6ft prototype many years ago which was very successful as a practical , quick build model . I havent looked at Tony Nijhuise's prices for similar sized models , but you get the picture . 

I have an small insight into the workload in producing a kit and the hundreds of hrs required designing, sourcing and acquiring all the required materials, the cost of molds, prototype build and shake down, redesign and then production.

For how many?

A dozen at most... 

Guys dreams are one thing but reality is another.