What makes a good kit ?

RICHARD WILLS

Ok Chaps , should be about two weeks . 

Is anyone going to do an on line build of the Hurricane or La7 ? 

Just asking since it seems that all of the original threads were lost in 

"The great change over "

Its just that some of the chaps who have not built a foam veneer model might find chopping into , what looks like a perfect wing , a bit daunting !

Am I wrong though  ? Is there an existing standard build thread for either ?

9 hours ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

Ok Chaps , should be about two weeks . 

Is anyone going to do an on line build of the Hurricane or La7 ? 

Just asking since it seems that all of the original threads were lost in 

"The great change over "

Its just that some of the chaps who have not built a foam veneer model might find chopping into , what looks like a perfect wing , a bit daunting !

Am I wrong though  ? Is there an existing standard build thread for either ?

I was one of the leading protagonists which urged the production of the first batch of Hurricanes but mine has remained on a shelf ever since! I've built quite a lot of models including those with foam wings, indeed I'm building one now, a Galaxy Models Mystic. One day I'll draw up a list!

I am a bit reluctant to cut into a perfectly sound wing and although I have a Laser 80 which I could fit to the model, I also have a number of OS four-strokes ranging from a 48 to a 60 and a Thunder Tiger 91 currently unemployed. Would any of those be suitable for the Hurricane?

As this will be my first build with retracts and perhaps a set of flaps I'm not too confident about making too many changes. I feel the need for someone to hold my hand here!

Build to start when the Mystic is finished. My camera does not seem to be operating properly so I have not been able to record the progress of that build.

4 hours ago, David Davis said:

I am a bit reluctant to cut into a perfectly sound wing and although I have a Laser 80 which I could fit to the model, I also have a number of OS four-strokes ranging from a 48 to a 60 and a Thunder Tiger 91 currently unemployed. Would any of those be suitable for the Hurricane?

Cut the wing DD, it wont bite ? 

The mods are small beer when it comes to tank placement. The flaps need a little more work though. 

large.665120.jpg.e0c429693d5429cd12f52a46586f2d35.jpglarge.665121.jpg.7ac318d91e92aa533be3e1ff274a7435.jpg

This cutout was then lined with 1/16 ply to finish the job and replace any lost strength

large.665122.jpg.9d771b0231ffcbcd62abbefd4f969574.jpg

Neat work Jon.

Particularly with the servos tucked up above the tank; things get tight in there with a short nose. I take it you bury the RX battery in front of the servos?

What reinforcing did you use on the wing, obvs the 1/16 ply, but anything else? Just the usual glass cloth?

Edited by Nigel R

1 hour ago, Nigel R said:

Neat work Jon.

Particularly with the servos tucked up above the tank; things get tight in there with a short nose. I take it you bury the RX battery in front of the servos?

What reinforcing did you use on the wing, obvs the 1/16 ply, but anything else? Just the usual glass cloth?

Yea the battery sits ahead of the servos on top of the tank. I still have a lead horse shoe round the front of the engine though. 

The wing got the ply box and some glass strips round the wing dowels if i remember rightly. Once it was all epoxied together it was pretty solid and i overlapped the glasscloth when skinning the wings. Although not visible in the photos already posted, there is a small letterbox under the tank box which allows air out of the cowl and into the wheel well. You can just see it in this photo but i have also attached photos of my big DB Hurricane where i did the same thing just bigger.large.682507.jpg.fd9a24fc8a6d7efd33512b481a0c7f68.jpglarge.846423.jpg.8846ae900616dfe2ccc2e69b419283ae.jpglarge.846608.jpg.02bba566f215569e71823464e568617e.jpglarge.846607.jpg.5832c2bb861f50788a8c9a07f944c412.jpglarge.846606.jpg.fe84b2b46a2358d00be5f08fd80045fd.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It occurred to me that there must be a number of us with various unbuilt Warbirds kits on this forum. I am nearing the end of a quick build before i pick a kit to be this years winter project, how about a few of us starting them and building them this winter, anyone interested in joining me? Not sure which of the Ju88 or the LA7 yet but one of them will be on the board in the next few weeks. Moving on from that what about a get together for a Warbirds kits fly in next year, any thoughts? 

Edited by martin collins 1