Windows 11 , latest con ?

Brian Dorricott 1

I've had emails recently from Microsoft crowing about Windows 11 how brilliant , better , quicker blah ! blah !  I looked into it thinking my  INTEL I7 16Gb PC would be a shue in but no ! because it doesn't have secure boot support . I have looked on all my less than 5 year old PCs and not one supports secure boot at all . So when they start winding down support for Win10 we won't be able to upgrade our existing kit ! Another spectacular own goal by Microsoft or cynical ploy to sell more PCs ( I know they are a software company but they have tie ins all over with manufacturers ) ill let others decide . Reason for posting I use PC for forums and emails etc so relevant to Model Flying . I do miss Windows XP and 7 but I'm a dinosaur .

Typical Microsoft etc. My current machine had W10 which lasted all of a week before I reverted to W8.1 which is bad enough. For pics I still download to an old XP machine because it is just so simple to do then find the ones I want and put them on line.

I get cheesed off when I get sent a PDF or whatever from the senders latest whizz bang version only to find that I cannot view it.

A bit like the TV companies suddenly starting to transmit everything in 2000 lines and expecting people to buy a new set for instance.

I wonder when they start reducing support for Windows 10 , how many PCs are going to be redundant i suspect 100s of millions , more electronic waste then ? Maybe we should get Greta Thunberg or whatever her name is to take on Microsoft over the waste , be assured of one thing Bill Gates will not get poorer because of it .

9 hours ago, Martin McIntosh said:

I get cheesed off when I get sent a PDF or whatever from the senders latest whizz bang version only to find that I cannot view it.

Install LibreOffice (FREE) and use that. It also allows editing of PDFs. Export, not Save after editing.

And of course the obvious answer is to use Linux Mint to make it easy to change over too.

I still love my Windows Vista and use it for a lot of things. I still have my XP because I have a tileprint program on that and it also works my label printer.

I do have a very fancy HP Spectre with Windows 10 courtesy Amazon Vine (If anyone thinks that I am paying £1800 for a computer think again!) But I use a free office program on that and mainly use it as it runs my Paint Shop pro 2 photo editing program faster.

And finally all my internet use is on my Chrome book!!!

On my Spectre I particularly hate the adverts that come up if I want to play solitaire on it.  Why should I PAY not to see adverts????

I've just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 (came with the mad S version that I quickly disabled) and I have to say that I rather like it and so far don't find anything to complain about with it. To me it's merely a tool that needs to be functional and comfortable to use with a minimum of fuss. I don't know Mr Gates other than from his media appearances, but his products have been satisfactory to me in both home and professional environments for many years and I often wonder at the level of hatred and loathing of him and his products in some quarters,  as if he were some evil Bond villain plotting world domination from a secret extinct volcano. As far as I know he isn't, but his business has been very successful.

I could easily list a dozen names from big business who over the last few decades have done huge damage to ordinary people and their finances, yet they are dismissed with a shrug of the shoulders by many and forgotten about and allowed to crawl under a stone in peace.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 5

42 minutes ago, Cuban8 said:

I often wonder at the level of hatred and loathing of him and his products in some quarters,

When you have near a year of updates wiping screen and print drivers and then finally in October 2018 wiping all the data and reverting from Win10 to Win7... AND it happening to near a million people round the world, I certainly don't have any love of Windows or Microsoft. A product that you have to pay for that can't be relied on is just not on, especially when there are totally free systems that are totally reliable and are easier to use.

48 minutes ago, Peter Miller said:

What I really hate about Windows 10 is the awful way that I can't find proper folders. In Windows Vista one can create a folder so easily and then you have a page of folders that look like folders and which are easy to see. Same with photos.

Go into file explorer then view tab. I use Tiles but one of the icons large/medium/small could suit.

image.thumb.png.7cdf6586d16cb9d2a66c1eb1626dd9aa.png

• Like 1

On 30/06/2021 at 16:08, john davidson 1 said:
  • On the subject of Microsoft ,   2 days ago I was informed by an e-mail that I had to re verify my account , with a link. Being suspicious  I avoided that , logged in properly ,and verified  my account. Anyone else seen this?

hello john, these e-mails are regular as clockwork,check the sender ad you'll see they are hoax's....delete them and thats the end of it.

ken anderson...ne..1..hoax dept.

7 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

What I really hate about Windows 10 is the awful way that I can't find proper folders. In Windows Vista one can create a folder so easily and then you have a page of folders that look like folders and which are easy to see. Same with photos.

It sounds like you are just missing the classic appearance of XP / Vista / 7.

Try Classic Shell. It brings some familiarity back to your desktop Start Menu and Windows Explorer.

More info HERE

Edited by Gary Manuel
More info added

• 3 weeks later...

Two (Thurs) days ago made an online purchase , first for some time with a Tuesday delivery. Today (Sat) received a scam email saying package could not be delivered, £2.99 to be paid etc. The last time I had this i was also expecting a package, am I  seeing too much in this co-incidence or is there a leak some where in the payment / ordering chain?