A lovely day and yet the field all to myself!

I went to my club today a arriving at 10.30 and was very surprised to find only one car already there and that member packed up shortly after. From then on I was alone with my thoughts until I left about 3 ish. I kept expecting someone to arrive on such a lovely day.

In some ways it was good to be alone  and I could practice some low flying without worry, but it would have been nice to have someone to chat too!

IMG_0066[1].JPG

IMG_0065[1].JPG

IMG_0064[1].JPG

IMG_0063[1].JPG

Advert

There’s no accounting for it. It’s the same at our field. I’ve gone along on a perfect day, to find no one there, and yet other days when conditions are marginal (very windy, poor light etc.), loads of people turn up.

I suspect today however, I don’t know where in the country you are, but down here in the south today, I suspect the high temperature kept people away. Only mad dogs and Englishmen and all that.

Hi Cliff, I intended to be there but I got sidetracked by some household admin that I couldn't ignore.

It's a shame because it was perfect weather for thermalling my MPX Heron.

I certainly intend to be there tomorrow so will maybe see you there, or soon if not.

It is a lovely field, must be the great grass cutting team?

5 hours ago, Andy C said:

Hi Cliff. Interesting to note that your club allows lone flying. I had assumed clubs always went with minimum of 2 pilots at any time.   May be worth a separate thread to discuss. 

Nope to both. I regularly fly on my own, as do others on here, and I don't want any more rules for the 'fun police' to enforce.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Andy C said:

Hi Cliff. Interesting to note that your club allows lone flying. I had assumed clubs always went with minimum of 2 pilots at any time.   May be worth a separate thread to discuss. 

nice field and planes by the way. ?

Not seeing why there would need to be two pilots at the field in order for one pilot to fly? Even if it's to do with having someone there in the event of an accident,  there is no need whatsoever for the second person to be a pilot.  I'd hope that not too many clubs would have such a rule in place -always requiring at least two pilots for flying to take place.

Beautiful, well equipped flying field you have Cliff.

The similarities I can draw, comparing our place is just the grass and the sky.

I have been a member of 3 clubs over the years and your experience matches all 3, in that days occur with so few attending.

It has been hot though, very hot, and that does provide problems for many.

It is possible to have too much of a good thing. There was no way I was venturing out for a full day in the constant strong sun, almost 30 degrees and high humidity on the Sunday just gone. Had a pleasant couple of hours and a few flights yesterday in more reasonable conditions with half a dozen buddies and that was enough for the time being.

3 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

Not seeing why there would need to be two pilots at the field in order for one pilot to fly? Even if it's to do with having someone there in the event of an accident,  there is no need whatsoever for the second person to be a pilot.  I'd hope that not too many clubs would have such a rule in place -always requiring at least two pilots for flying to take place.

This is another old chestnut that got a lot of attention a while ago. I doubt whether many club members would put up with it and I remember some frank discussions that took place in both of my clubs where it was felt that some people were, shall we say, over stepping the mark.

Not everyone lives within a few minutes' drive of their field, so one can imagine the frustration of arriving after a longish journey only to find an empty field and no flying if such a rule existed.

Both of my clubs recommend that members don't fly alone but in the end the decision is down to the individual. Have a heart attack or injure yourself on a prop when alone.....not a totally  outside possibility, but if one weighs up the risks, understands and accepts them and takes reasonable precautions, I don't see a problem.

• Like 2

I think the no lone flying idea is a bit nonsensical to be honest. Plenty of people manage to live alone, go on holiday alone, do DIY alone etc without needing supervision. If we are aware of the risks, we make our choice, like adults. 

Personally, I really enjoy flying alone as a but of a break and time with my own thoughts, plus it means I can go flying for an hour or two and still have time to do family stuff. Early mornings at about 7am or late evening are my preferred times, standing out in the sun during the heat of the day doesn't appeal very much! 

Edited by Matt Carlton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt Carlton said:

I think the no lone flying idea is a bit nonsensical to be honest. Plenty of people manage to live alone, go on holiday alone, do DIY alone etc without needing supervision. If we are aware of the risks, we make our choice, like adults. 

Personally, I really enjoy flying alone as a but of a break and time with my own thoughts, plus it means I can go flying for an hour or two and still have time to do family stuff. Early mornings at about 7am or late evening are my preferred times, standing out in the sun during the heat of the day doesn't appeal very much! 

I agree. When I think of the many, many miles I've cycled (and motor cycled) alone and often miles from any tarmac totally alone and long before mobile phones existed (apart from Dick Tracy's 2-way wrist radio!) that must have been far more risky than model flying.  However, I always had sufficient tools needed to carry out roadside repairs.

Geoff

2 hours ago, Matt Carlton said:

I also agree. There are different risks in flying alone rather than in company but I would argue lone flying can be safer. There is no one to distract you and no other models to hit you. In a lifetime of flying, probably 70% alone, I have suffered no incidents when by myself but have been injured 3 times thanks to fellow modellers.