News from BMFA regarding use of Nitro

kevin b

Just seen this on the BMFA website.    Review of Poisons act

Although it probably won't affect me, or many others it may cause concern for some ic engine users.

Though there is no mention of reducing the licensed level of content you don't have to be super intelligent to figure out where it could go.

Kevinb     Conspiracy theories inc

Advert

It's already come into force here in France, you need a competition licence to get a legal FFAM number that will give you access to

over 16% nitro,,,

Silly as you can get petrol from any petrol station, and all sorts of explosive and dangerous stuff on sale in supermarkets,

Acetone,  acid, paint thinners, etc,,,,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

It's already come into force here in France, you need a competition licence to get a legal FFAM number that will give you access to

over 16% nitro,,,

Silly as you can get petrol from any petrol station, and all sorts of explosive and dangerous stuff on sale in supermarkets,

Acetone,  acid, paint thinners, etc,,,,

Ah yes, but you don't have to pay the government a license fee for those.......................yet.     :classic_wink:

1 hour ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

no Nitro ?,,,, Obviously you don't fly helicopters, try 3 D flying with an OS .50 'hyper' on 5% nitro !

An OS 50 hyper will run fine on 5% and would also fly the helicopter just fine as well if tuned for it. The snag is, it will probably overheat. 

So Paul is quite correct as heli engines (as well as nitro cars and boats) tend to need higher nitro fuel as it allows the engine to run very rich while still maintaining power. This is an advantage as the methanol itself is used as a coolant within the engine to prevent failure. Its not uncommon for heli's etc to have their pistons burn through right under the glowplug as they run at a constant and high rpm with minimal cooling.  

5% nitro would be fine in almost any fixed wing 2 or 4 stroke but the specific requirements of heli's etc mean 10% is probably the low limit unless its something fairly chilled out like a shuttle. That said, if the legal limit was revised down to 16% nitro its unlikely it would really matter that much and from a competitive point of view it also would not matter as everyone is using the same fuel. 

While its all a bit nanny state and doubtless inconvenient for some, its not completely the end of the world. 

1 hour ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Actually the 16% is a good thing, I don't have to try and show off 3 D 'moves" any more and keep Heli flying to simple loops and rolls,,,

Getting too old for that 3D rubbish, i leave it up to young leccy lot,,,,?

Not so sure Paul.

This is what the competition fliers are using this year.

lipo 20.jpg

lipo 25.jpg

? ? ?

Edited by kevin b

Went to get some petrol for the club mower and my generator the other day.

Apparently it is now illegal to buy more than 2 plastic containers full these days.  :classic_wacko:

However the attendant didn't have an answer for the question of what we were going to do with the other 2 containers I had filled and paid for. 

Edited by kevin b

5 minutes ago, kevin b said:

Apparently it is now illegal to buy more than 2 plastic containers full these days.  :classic_wacko:

However the attendant didn't have an answer for the question of what we were going to do with the other 2 containers I had filled and paid for. 

Thought that was only for the duration of recent "Shortages" ?

12 minutes ago, kevin b said:

There is no legal limit on how much you can buy, but there is a limit on how much you are allowed to transport - two containers I believe. On foot, I guess you can carry as many as you want......