Autumn's here, who's been flying?

I also had a busy first Autumn weekend!

After several weeks of bad weather here in Madrid with wind and rain, this last was a perfect one with just a light breeze and clear skies. Saturday was an "electric" day flying my late uncle´s Custom Privateer and EC-52 as well as I maidened my Freewing 70mm F-16, totalling 3 successful flight with each one.......

1568952435_CustomPrivateer_01.thumb.jpg.c4bb290cc75645eb93b781fe46445155.jpg

EC-52_01.thumb.jpg.ca7743fb3ed4d23a29540acf839f7995.jpg

1961281447_FreewingF-16_01.thumb.jpg.7b4d3bb62fc96ba39ae6fb929895b6ca.jpg

Sunday was "Glow" day and I flew both my Seagull Models Gipsy Moth plus my now quite old Carl Goldberg Ultimate, making again 3 flights with each model. Unfortunatelly no photos of these..... 

• Like 7

Hill day yesterday but had to share it with these folks. No hardship, we get on well. 

I was chatting to a parascending chap whose wife was up, needed a pee yet was having trouble landing... there are practical solutions apparently...

Anyway, I flew the Cluster F5J and Centi-Phase in the thermally breeze. 

IMG_7822.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, David Ashby - Moderator said:

Hill day yesterday but had to share it with these folks. No hardship, we get on well. 

I was chatting to a parascending chap whose wife was up, needed a pee yet was having trouble landing... there are practical solutions apparently...

Anyway, I flew the Cluster F5J and Centi-Phase in the thermally breeze. 

IMG_7822.jpg

Are wee talking yellow rain.

Steve. 🤔

I was up yesterday. Not been flying much this summer, either busy, or just too hot. And my left eye cataract is getting worse. Anyway, yesterday, Flair DVii, to the fore, just returned to service after maintainence. 
Easy to see, slow, hundreds of flights, over 12 years, ( not 8 as I claimed elsewhere on this forum).
Some trepidation, but it looked after me, and back in the groove. I don’t think I’m going to fly anything precious, operation booked early December, but I can work an aircraft one eyed. Retired after 3 flights.
Still air, 10/10 blue sky, but it was still 24°, and I was wilting. But happy, no break from flying needed.

• Like 1

Thanks for that GG - perfect flying conditions here too. looks like the calm before the storm. Unfortunately I have some jobs to do, so can't go flying today, but your post prompted me to get the wee 109 out and have a brief sortie in and around the garden - beautiful skies and flat calm. Magic. 😎

• Like 2

Back to the hill today. Pretty eventful it was too. 

The police arrived, all blues and twos, looking for a ‘vulnerable individual’, we chatted but couldn’t help, then flew. 
Flying buddy Alan lost his model and, while we looked for it, I spotted a chap sitting alone just below the edge. Ran back to tell the (by now) 4 officers in attendance and led them to him. There was a bit of noise, they cuffed him, confiscated a very large bottle of spirits and took him away. 
Then some walkers, who’d been looking for a lost phone, found Alan’s model and returned it unscathed. 

Otherwise t’was pretty quiet 😁

4767F3D6-8E41-4864-BE71-16C0250A06D9.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, David Ashby - Moderator said:

Back to the hill today. Pretty eventful it was too. 

The police arrived, all blues and twos, looking for a ‘vulnerable individual’, we chatted but couldn’t help, then flew. 
Flying buddy Alan lost his model and, while we looked for it, I spotted a chap sitting alone just below the edge. Ran back to tell the (by now) 4 officers in attendance and led them to him. There was a bit of noise, they cuffed him, confiscated a very large bottle of spirits and took him away. 
Then some walkers, who’d been looking for a lost phone, found Alan’s model and returned it unscathed. 

Otherwise t’was pretty quiet 😁

4767F3D6-8E41-4864-BE71-16C0250A06D9.jpeg

David

What an interesting day.

Sounds a bit like " ..and what did you think of the play Mrs Lincoln" 🤣🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Part 3 in the ongoing saga of trying to get my £40 model into the air!

Having installed the Laser 75 we could not get the glow plug to glow due to a problem with the remote. Early Laser engines, like Enya four-strokes, have a forward facing glow plug which necessitates the use of a remote connector. More modern Lasers have vertical glow plugs so the problem does not arise. Two engineers tried to help me out but without success. The gentleman in the yellow shirt gave me another connector. It's brand new; it will require a little soldering and I will need to charge up my flight box battery to use it but I hope to sort the problem out before the weekend. The weather forecast is for 5kph winds on both days this weekend so I hope to have it in the air soon.

My dog looks remarkably unimpressed.

An electrical problem.jpg

• Like 1

The nearest I have come to flying a model, was my flight back from Rome last week.  I was surprised that there was a strike by the bus workers, although everything seemed  much as normal, from my perspective, due there being a minimum service level law/regulations?

Any way, it is now raining heavily here now, a good job as I have had the lawn re-laid. My better half, my wife, tried to throw me out of the house, to go flying, this morning. I need to check the charge levels on some models, must do that.

Just to think, the week that I left for Majorca, then a week later to Italy, I had flown down at the field. Then there was glorious sunshine, the track baked hard, a dust cloud following my car as descended to our car park. On closing the track gate, I was aware of a large cat watching me from down the track, was this the Fylde Black Beast, I quickly climbed back into my car, for safety, the cat moved into the adjacent field, I was not afraid of it being black, as our cat was black and never brought ant ill luck, however many times he cut across my path, telling me, it was time to feed him.

I was wrong to be so Blaise, as the wing covering on my Nobler peeled back, the model turning towards the stripped wing, then crashing. It seems that Seamstress adhesive is no substitute foe Balsa lock. Then my Wot 4e did not pull out of a loop, at the 3/4 point continuing straight down to its destruction. To complete the humiliation, I landed short with my glider, semi stalling it onto the ground.

At least I can now see all my misadventures after my Cataract operations.

I am now about to check all my models hoping for better weather. In southern Europe the temperature was about 35C, the wind soft, the sky blue. Was there a summer here?

• Sad 1

@Erfolg ouch..... Not good.

Few mishaps at our field too:

• Dodgy left wing wing servo in a large Wotty - no damage
  • Completely failed right wing servo in my Valiant - no damage
  • Tailwheel came off the big Wotty (not for the first time!)
  • Spat came loose on my Spacewalker maiden - landed with no damage
  • Engine playing up on a Spit - deadstick landing caused minor damage.

Despite that, was a thoroughly enjoyable few hours - I only came home because I ran out of glow fuel for the Double Trouble.... It's raining heavily now.

• Like 1

On 06/11/2022 at 19:59, Steve Colman said:

Gorgeous weekend with sunny blue skies. light winds and a pleasant temperature.

Today I maidened my Multiplex Twinstar which I bought way back in March 2017. Other pojects taking up my time is my excuse.

Just minimal decor applied using packing tape. Maiden was a non event with just a couple of clicks of trim needed.

This is my first twin.

TS 1 copy.jpg

Ahhh the beautiful Twinstar.  It looks terrific.   I hope you are still enjoying it?  I have two, one from the year 2000 with brushed motors, and one more up to date with brushless motors that I bought a few years ago.  Enjoy and happy landings. 

2 hours ago, Erfolg said:

I am now about to check all my models hoping for better weather. In southern Europe the temperature was about 35C, the wind soft, the sky blue. Was there a summer here?

Not here in North Yorkshire (not unless you were a dedicated slope soarer).

However we did get a good couple of hours in this morning due to the forecasters getting it wrong (as usual).

What's more, no casualties !!!

Edited by kevin b