Are 'recommended throws' really necessary?

paul devereux

For once in my life I am going to 'cheat', a book load of opinions which I haven't read as for me,  is only a temporary solution to save a pilot for crashing an un flyable plane.

Ps,,,,Boeing  and Airbus use Expo where is the switch and what rates ,.😅

Opps, My Wives Fiat 500 has a dual rate on the steering.

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon

1 hour ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

And my BMW has 3 throttle curves depending on what mode it's in. You can also get sports bikes with different modes where there is a rain setting that not only dials down the throttle response but the max power too.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, John Stainforth said:

I don't think Jon is using the words "cheat" and "lazy" in an offensive sense. Indeed ours is not (ostensibly) a competitive pastime, so we are not cheating others by our own approaches to model flying. What Jon is talking about is "cheating" ourselves, i.e., making ourselves seem more accomplished than we are by using various aids that hide our deficiencies. The ultimate is autopilot that flies a plane very well but teaches us little or nothing about flying.

Thankyou. 

Matty I wasnt aware that i was dancing. I dont make any apologies for labelling things as cheats or laziness. If you dislike those terms, fine, dont do those things. Then you cant possibly be labelled as such. Would there have been such hysteria if i called it a bodge? Dont bodge it, do it right? dont cheat do it right? Dont be lazy do it right? its the same thing being said but i suspect bodge would be accepted better. 

But, if you agree with the actual content of what i said why are you so upset about the way i said it? Its the information that is important surely? If your issue is with the delivery why try to discredit my entire post just because i was a a bit rude? And it was true anyway, poor tutor40 guy was cheated so what do you want? You could have simply stated you agreed with my points in principal but didnt like my tone. Would that not have been job done? 

As for saying things face to face, i have, i do, its fine. I dont always though as club harmony is important and i didnt name anyone, didnt even name the club, the decade.... Not that it would matter if i did as i had many a debate with hand launch chap and said things like 'no, thats wrong, you simply have no idea how this works' to his face. It was quite liberating actually as this guy always gave as good as he got and as we both have our big boy pants on during these chats we just keep on going. In this case it would not have advanced our goal so i didnt bother. 

1 hour ago, MattyB said:

After all, it's well understood that consumers do make buying decisions based partly on the social media behaviours of brand reps - just look at the US distributor of Jeti who spends all his time sabotaging Spektrum, Futaba and Frsky threads on RCGroups and has put so many off the brand worldwide

I dont know anything about the guy from jeti, i guess that one passed me by. If he is completely slating competitors products that is pretty bad form. I have no skin in the radio game so i can say what i like on that front. Engines i try to give a balanced view as Lasers direct competitors do make good motors and it will be all to easy for someone to accuse me of slating the competition. I dont recall seeing complaints about my comments on that front. 

On the sales thing, i guess i will take the rough with the smooth? Looking at likes alone its a wash between my posts and your own, more so once those who generally disagree with me on principal are ruled out. I dont think too many people are offended but hey, message me if im wrong. Its not going to change what i say mind you. The alternative is i could be like the other engine brands and post nothing, sell through a distributor, and the only info you get is through the instruction leaflet. Customer feedback to date suggests this is undesirable so i guess i will have to accept a few disgruntled folk. 

• Like 3

For once in my life I am going to 'cheat', a book load of opinions which I haven't read as for me,  is only a temporary solution to save a pilot for crashing an un flyable plane.

Ps,,,,Boeing  and Airbus use Expo where is the switch and what rates ,.😅

Its not my fault your wife has a Fiat 500 or or you that proud you need to tell someone . Also My apologies that you didn't know about Expo on airliners for info Switching is done on TAS.

Edited by Jason Channing
285 knots if I remember

36 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Thankyou. 

Matty I wasnt aware that i was dancing. I dont make any apologies for labelling things as cheats or laziness. If you dislike those terms, fine, dont do those things. Then you cant possibly be labelled as such. Would there have been such hysteria if i called it a bodge? Dont bodge it, do it right? dont cheat do it right? Dont be lazy do it right? its the same thing being said but i suspect bodge would be accepted better. 

But, if you agree with the actual content of what i said why are you so upset about the way i said it? Its the information that is important surely? If your issue is with the delivery why try to discredit my entire post just because i was a a bit rude? And it was true anyway, poor tutor40 guy was cheated so what do you want? You could have simply stated you agreed with my points in principal but didnt like my tone. Would that not have been job done? 

As for saying things face to face, i have, i do, its fine. I dont always though as club harmony is important and i didnt name anyone, didnt even name the club, the decade.... Not that it would matter if i did as i had many a debate with hand launch chap and said things like 'no, thats wrong, you simply have no idea how this works' to his face. It was quite liberating actually as this guy always gave as good as he got and as we both have our big boy pants on during these chats we just keep on going. In this case it would not have advanced our goal so i didnt bother. 

I dont know anything about the guy from jeti, i guess that one passed me by. If he is completely slating competitors products that is pretty bad form. I have no skin in the radio game so i can say what i like on that front. Engines i try to give a balanced view as Lasers direct competitors do make good motors and it will be all to easy for someone to accuse me of slating the competition. I dont recall seeing complaints about my comments on that front. 

On the sales thing, i guess i will take the rough with the smooth? Looking at likes alone its a wash between my posts and your own, more so once those who generally disagree with me on principal are ruled out. I dont think too many people are offended but hey, message me if im wrong. Its not going to change what i say mind you. The alternative is i could be like the other engine brands and post nothing, sell through a distributor, and the only info you get is through the instruction leaflet. Customer feedback to date suggests this is undesirable so i guess i will have to accept a few disgruntled folk. 

Fair enough - I see that @leccyflyer and I are wasting our time here, so I will stop flogging the dead horse, add you to my ignore list and move on. This thread has certainly helped me to crystallise some thoughts about this forum, so perhaps it has been helpful after all. I also now know I will never own that Laser 180 petrol that looked so promising, though that seems to be permanently becalmed so it was probably never likely anyway.

Edited by MattyB

21 minutes ago, MattyB said:

Fair enough - I see that @leccyflyer and I are wasting our time here, so I will stop flogging the dead horse, add you to my ignore list and move on. This thread has certainly helped me to crystallise some thoughts about this forum, so perhaps it has been helpful after all. I also now know I will never own that Laser 180 petrol that looked so promising, though that seems to be permanently becalmed so it was probably never likely anyway.

Seems like a bit of an overreaction to me but if you are really that distressed that i might have been rude to someone who wasnt you then fine i guess. Its a strange hill to die on but ok. 

As for the petrol thing. Really? isnt that a little petty? Not that it matters too much because, as you point out, hope is fading. Sadly that one is out of my hands and despite my best efforts, i am getting nowhere. 

This thread has made me very upset. Upset that I havent been reading it sooner!!, very entertaining. Its like the RC hobby equivalent of Tommy Fury v Jake Paul !. like watching "Gone fishing" but with lots of bites!.. ding ding another round please.

On a serious note, you chaps are well respected and experienced contributors to the thread, and very much appreciated. Why not agree to a score draw, and give an inch either way. Life's too short, and at the end of the day, you are both agreeing the lesson here is attempting to understand the tools on offer before using them is a half way decent place to start. And then with an informed view use um to your hearts content.

I'll blow you both a kiss, still love ya !

2 hours ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

And my BMW has 3 throttle curves depending on what mode it's in. You can also get sports bikes with different modes where there is a rain setting that not only dials down the throttle response but the max power too.

Yes, not exactly a dual rate or expo, but my Aprilia Rsv4r has three throttle modes, Granny, Road and Track.

Does your german car have the indicator 'option' .

My peajot also has 3 modes, Bowler hat Morris minor 1000 mode, speed limit - 1 klm/h mode and Extra smoke mode, only available on the Diesel versions.😆

I love my wooden spoon,,,

Yes, not exactly a dual rate or expo, but my Aprilia Rsv4r has three throttle modes, Granny, Road and Track.

Does your german car have the indicator 'option' .

My peajot also has 3 modes, Bowler hat Morris minor 1000 mode, speed limit - 1 klm/h mode and Extra smoke mode, only available on the Diesel versions.😆

I love my wooden spoon,,,

Diameter of spoon?

3 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Would there have been such hysteria if i called it a bodge? Dont bodge it, do it right? dont cheat do it right? Dont be lazy do it right? its the same thing being said but i suspect bodge would be accepted better. 

My last word on the matter...

No, bodge is just as bad I'm afraid.  Examples:

1. My Valiant has an onboard glow. My choices were to live  with a higher tickover, and occasional  deadstick, OR cut a big hole in the cowl to mount the engine on it's side, probably improving reliability but looking pants, OR hacking about with a nice new plane to lower the tank, OR spending £15 on an on-board-glow, with some nice EdgeTX trickery to ensure I only use it when needed. 

2. I use flight modes to ensure that the Valiant behaves as I want in all phases, changing rates, expo, curves.  It's not a bodge, it's using the tools at my disposal to enhance my pleasure (today, I added some functionality to raise the flaps on an overshoot, driven by a throttle change.  Can I cope with the 'ballooning' without it? Yes, I have done for the past year or so... but it'll increase my enjoyment).  I don't always want a challenge, I just want to enjoy my flying.... again, not a bodge. Tiger moths may not have any aids, but without 'bodges' I suspect something like a Eurofighter would be unflyable.  Again, not bodges.

On the other hand, I have a number of sport planes with NO fancy mixes or anything, with engines mounted sideways to get decent tank/carb alignment and no obg, and a dirty great hole in the cowl.

In the end, it's just different ways of enjoying our hobby.

By the way, I can totally see how you get a bit peeved when people refuse to take your advice re Laser engines....

End of missive.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GrumpyGnome said:

My last word on the matter...

No, bodge is just as bad I'm afraid.  Examples:

1. My Valiant has an onboard glow. My choices were to live  with a higher tickover, and occasional  deadstick, OR cut a big hole in the cowl to mount the engine on it's side, probably improving reliability but looking pants, OR hacking about with a nice new plane to lower the tank, OR spending £15 on an on-board-glow, with some nice EdgeTX trickery to ensure I only use it when needed. 

2. I use flight modes to ensure that the Valiant behaves as I want in all phases, changing rates, expo, curves.  It's not a bodge, it's using the tools at my disposal to enhance my pleasure (today, I added some functionality to raise the flaps on an overshoot, driven by a throttle change.  Can I cope with the 'ballooning' without it? Yes, I have done for the past year or so... but it'll increase my enjoyment).  I don't always want a challenge, I just want to enjoy my flying.... again, not a bodge. Tiger moths may not have any aids, but without 'bodges' I suspect something like a Eurofighter would be unflyable.  Again, not bodges.

On the other hand, I have a number of sport planes with NO fancy mixes or anything, with engines mounted sideways to get decent tank/carb alignment and no obg, and a dirty great hole in the cowl.

In the end, it's just different ways of enjoying our hobby.

By the way, I can totally see how you get a bit peeved when people refuse to take your advice re Laser engines....

End of missive.

You mentioned flight modes. (OH  MY GOD), next you might bring in grouping flight modes and Expo and dual rates, and condition switches.  Can you imagine have a flight mode just before take off you use that will give you a slightly higher idle during flight for 3D gyroscopic manoeuvres but before landing you need to set it to the lower idle.😆

FLIGHT MODES = another 4 pages

Edited by Jason Channing