Forthcoming restrictions

I hope anyone affected is aware of some fairly major restrictions on flying during the Coronation and its preparation.

Some of the North Midlands and most of East Anglia seems to be affected as well as London.

25 - 27 April

https://nats-uk.ead-it.com/cms-nats/export/sites/default/en/Publications/Aeronautical-Information-Circulars-AICs/white-aics/EG_Circ_2023_M_021_en.pdf

6 May

https://nats-uk.ead-it.com/cms-nats/export/sites/default/en/Publications/Aeronautical-Information-Circulars-AICs/white-aics/EG_Circ_2023_M_024_en.pdf

So that'll be a bunch of helicopters, some transports, half a dozen F-35s, some Typhoons, the BBMF,  finishing up with the Red Arrows. Very different than the last Coronation fly-past, which 300 aircraft in static display and 600 in the flypast itself.

• Like 1

At 13, I found the last coronation terminally boring (but my dad sold a lot of TV receivers so it helped me financially though indirectly).  I don't think this one will be any more entertaining.  I will endeavour to ignore it as far as possible.  I'm not keen on ceremony  - even my own wedding (but my wife's great 👍)  It doesn't look as though flying will be restricted in Derbyshire, hopefully.

I'd happily be out flying - no restrictions on East Riding Of Yorkshire coast............ but my wife is working so I'll be on dog-sitting duties.

In advance, I'll need to delete stuff from the BT box so I can record it for her.  Full day of pottering/flying on Sunday while she watches it!

2 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

I'd happily be out flying - no restrictions on East Riding Of Yorkshire coast............ but my wife is working so I'll be on dog-sitting duties.

In advance, I'll need to delete stuff from the BT box so I can record it for her.  Full day of pottering/flying on Sunday while she watches it!

Just don't let Special Branch pick up on your latest, regarding clay pigeon shooting, correx RC models with hardened radio gear and explosives under their wings, or you might find yourself flying next to the two Apaches that won't be taking part in the flypast 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

I did! and it was still pants!

Seems pretty good to me, Area C is the orange bit

image.thumb.png.2977575ce8bd703d0a1cf27975c93623.png

Zoomed in to my flying field

image.thumb.png.edc7401762d75fffb53572a8dcab0aad.png

As for detail, you can even see a model in the pits area!

image.thumb.png.025c5ccb6417adb665a71a6cba52f234.png

Edited by Ron Gray

The route shown on those maps seems much the same as previous flypasts for the Trooping of the Colour, Jubilee etc.  In the past they  have flown in assembled formation along the line of the  railway line and A12 road from Chelmsford towards central London.  Some years two hundred yards or so south of the A12, other years two hundred yards north of that road and the  adjacent railway, it seems to vary but always following the same A12 route but never actually over the road.   Very close indeed to my present clubs field and previous clubs 2 fields in past years.  Very low altitude usually which meant the trees got in the way and it was difficult to spot them until they were very close!   Great sight.  

On 20/04/2023 at 08:48, Simon Chaddock said:

I bet the cost of Charles 111 Coronation air display will be more per hour even including inflation!

It's all good practice for the RAF, RN and Army.  Coordination of a large mixed formation, navigation, time keeping, dealing with unforeseen issues - all good training.  Plus, the Monarch is the boss of the Armed Forces.  We fight for King and country not a PM!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...