Annoying pop up bar at bottom of screen?

Hi Folks. For the last couple of days I am getting a persistent and very intrusive advertising bar about an inch or so high and the full width of my laptop screen. I keep closing it but a couple of minutes later it comes back up again covering content that I am trying to read. Is everyone getting this or is it just me?

Cheers, Simon

Look, this website is free to use and a lot of people here are regular users and so, presumably, get a lot of enjoyment for its use.  However, it has to be paid for somehow and a few relatively minor adverts is one way of doing it.  I don't particularly like adverts either but I'm happy for a few if it keeps the site open.  Would you rather for it to be behind a paywall?

Perhaps it's because I access vis a desktop PC with a huge vdu it doesn't bother me much.  I've occasionally used my phone to read the forum and quickly gave up.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Flying Squirrel said:

I wonder how many forum users subscribe to the magazine and if there's a way that subscribers get add free access.

I understand and have no problem in the forum being ad funded, but as I have no interest in subscribing to the magazine (not it's fault, but the vast majority of content is just not of interest to me) I'd prefer an option to pay a small subscription to the forum/digital content to get rid of the ads.

I reckon fully fifty percent of the instances of this particular pop-up are for Ad Blocking software.  It's mildly irritating, but if it keeps the forum running then I'm fine with it. A subscription would be the death knell for this forum, as folks will not pay for something available for free elsewhere. The forum is nicely busy, with lots of great content, expertise and discussion and a bit of an ad at the bottom of the page is a small inconvenience to endure for that continuing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

I reckon fully fifty percent of the instances of this particular pop-up are for Ad Blocking software.  It's mildly irritating, but if it keeps the forum running then I'm fine with it. A subscription would be the death knell for this forum, as folks will not pay for something available for free elsewhere. The forum is nicely busy, with lots of great content, expertise and discussion and a bit of an ad at the bottom of the page is a small inconvenience to endure for that continuing.

I’m not suggesting free access is removed, just that there is an additional £2 a month (say) option that removes ads and maybe gets you a couple of bits of additional exclusive content per month to sweeten it. I have seen this work effectively in some other niche forums where the ads were a lot more intrusive than this one!

Edited by MattyB

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Keith Billinge said:

I use AdBlock on my web browser and I've never seen said bar. It's a plug-in thing that prevents ads from appearing and you can turn it on and off easily. (free to use)

What is the web address of the AdBlock you use? There are lots with similar names (Free Adblock, Total Adblock, AdBlock Free, etc) most are useless, some actually download ads. I'd definitely use one if it worked, but I haven't found one that is genuine (most web searches go to their own sites).