That is the last time I buy online !!!!

Really fed up with way we the customers are now being treated by the online market .Every thing seems to be out of stock now .So before I order anything online now I all ways ring up to make sure the Model shop has the item in stock .So many times now ,you order something online .They take your money straight away only to find they do not have the item in stock .Then you have to wait weeks ,even months before the item arrives .Just rang a well know modelling shop for some items  to make sure the items are in stock .Told on the phone ,yes these items are in stock and he will post them out the next day .My credit card was debited straight away and here I am a week latter no items .Rang the model shop ,only to be told he is waiting for the supplier to send to him the items  .Could be about a month before they are back in stock .I  cancelled the order ask to credit my credit card ,to which he promised to do ..So if my local model does not have what I want I go with out and just have to get by .Just fed up with some model shop just taking your money when they do not have items  in  stock Grrrrrr!!!

You don't seem to be having much luck lately.

Personally, I don't do that "Phone to make sure that they have stock" thing. I place most of my orders outside of shop hours and if a supplier cannot run a proper stock control system with up to day stock levels then they really shouldn't be doing business selling by a live ordering website, which takes your money with your order. It's supposed to be e-commerce not Yellow Pages. JR Hartley might like ringing round, but give me a decent online retailer with a proper web interface, or even a proper eBay set up, before anywhere that I need to phone up.

• Like 1

I have used Kings Lynn Models Shop, Model Shop Leeds, Wheelspin Models, and a few others based in the UK - great helpful service from all. I often phone first (for advice) and they have always been helpful. Perhaps it helps that they are all bricks and mortar shops and not just an online supplier.

• Like 2

Likewise, I’ve used a wide variety of online retailers for many years with no issues (we lost our last local model shop a long time ago). There are one or two who don’t have live stock control so, if it’s critical, I will phone before hitting the button. I can’t remember when I had anyone debit my account for an out of stock item.

• Like 1

I’ve never had any problem with buying online, sounds like you’ve been unlucky. Although I try and stick to established ’bricks & mortar’ shops with a decent website, and preferably those like Leeds Model Shop who show how many of each item they have in stock. Or Wheelspin Models who at least show whether items are in, out or shadow stock.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EvilC57 said:

I’ve never had any problem with buying online, sounds like you’ve been unlucky. Although I try and stick to established ’bricks & mortar’ shops with a decent website, and preferably those like Leeds Model Shop who show how many of each item they have in stock. Or Wheelspin Models who at least show whether items are in, out or shadow stock.

Yes, those are both excellent online retailers and there is never any doubt there about whether something is in stock or not. Exactly how it should be done. Have had the same experience with my long term LMS before I emigrated - Webbies/Servoshop.

• 1 month later...

I think it is down to specific stores. I have just had issues buying from a well known UK business that changed hands since I last dealt with them a decade or two back.   The purchase was only a spinner adjustment nut and screw with a total price of around £5 . During the order I spelt out the post code phonetically to ensure it was correct and repeated the street address slowly a couple of times to ensure it was noted.  Card paid and awaited the parts.   Two days later post went ( I was told it was first class)  and nothing arrived.  Phoned the supplier and asked if it had been sent . Ah he said after re confirming my details, I must have made a mistake on the post code or omitted it.  I will send you another today . Saturday nothing  in the post..... Monday  nothing in the post . I ring again and he says " I sent it and the correct details this time, I even included a washer in this one .     I could not bite my tongue any longer ..... I said forgive me for  drawing your attention , but this is a week for a nut and screw  with the errors and forgot to  and unlike many Chinese purchases from Ali Express , I did not get a purchase confirming E Mail with delivery date etc, I did not pay the "half the price" that I would pay from China .... and it would have taken not an awful lot longer !     May I suggest .... foot , gun , shoot , own .   Answer " we have lots f happy customers " .  Good for you fella  and the very best of luck because unlike the last owner of the business whom I was always happy to deal with, it seems times have changed. 

1 hour ago, leccyflyer said:

That sounds awfy like a well known UK business that goes under a portmanteau suggesting an avian android.

Mmm. Interesting. I'm at 5 days and counting since payment was taken. Surely my goodies will wing their way to me by Friday.

Did research on Vivo diesel heater on Amazon UK.

They said they had 8 in stock so we went ahead with the order.

Money taken out of my account in double quick time, light speed even !

Days pass, no show, no Comms...

Hassle hassle hassle, eventually told NONE in stock, money eventually refunded.

I don't want to be banned from here but Amazon are.......

If the " sounds like "  was to me and my issue.... then I have no intention of naming the business further and damaging them ... he seems more than able to manage that himself !     As Amazon , hmmm only good thing  is they are not delivered by Herpes.

Ordered a 3000 3S lipo from Amazon on Monday. Prime member so item arrived mid afternoon yesterday. Checks out OK all charged and ready to go today as the weather's nice for once. £26 delivered, which is considerably less than anywhere else, usually ten quid dearer at least - and then as with one well known supplier, another tenner to deliver.  Will let you know how it performs.

• Like 1

I can't fault Amazon - worth every penny of the Prime membership, given the number of parcels received for all sorts of things. The  no-nonsense returns policy is pure dead brilliant - click a button, get a returns number, put the item in the package, take it to the shop in the village, where the nice lady puts a pre-printed label on the package and the refund is in your account by the time you are back from the shop. I've only had to return a very small number of items - some HDMI cables and some boots spring to mind -and it's been very straightforward, with replacements provided the very next day.

As for their lipos, I've found both the HRB and Zeee Power lipos to be very good indeed and delivered next day, even on a Sunday - their periodic sales, with packs of two lipos at bargain prices, are particularly good. Last order I replaced some aging 3s1p 2200mah pack with new Zeee Power packs @£17.50 each, delivered next day.

• Like 5

Much the same a Leccy I've always been impressed with pretty much all aspects of Amazon, in fact I very rarely have any issues with buying online, which is where I do almost all of my shopping other than supermarkets.

To me, it does beg the question that 'experienced' online shoppers get a feel for web shops and quickly bypass ones that could be trouble, things like a decent stock level indicator, payment system, returns policy. Even using Amazon and Ebay etc you learn to avoid certain sellers/shops, when you can spot the tell tale signs.

• Like 4

I have reservations about Amazon and these have been confirmed by at least two other members of a photo  forum. I purchased a large ticket item on Amazon, it was a good deal and saved me a reasonable amount off the list price, but not so much as to sound alarm bells. The item was sold as NEW, however both  the faults that presented in calibration, the performance and the marks on the packaging and item , made me believe that it was a sold item placed back in the supply chain after a refurbishment . This belief was reinforced when the item was replaced by second and then third versions , all similarly dubious.  I spoke to a trader in a very well known chain and asked if they would take this particular item and model in PX ( two days old ) against a new unit of another brand.... he responded that particular model from the manufacturer, sorry NO !.   So I am left to believe that a bad batch of a regarded brand suffered many returns and these were refurbished and returned to the fray. I have even been told that they have a refurb warehouse where these sorts of products are re bagged and paperwork etc are replaced in preparation for their return to sale.  When after several promised collections of the final unit failed because I was not in ( sitting 10 yds from the door in fact ) I informed them of my camera outside the front of the property and could refute all claims of collection. I stepped up the demands for refund and threatened to go further with the video and photos that I had.... suddenly the reply arrived that all of the funds were in my account, and to dispose of the final replacement as I saw fit !     I have not purchased a big ticket item from Amazon since that time.

That sounds like a retailer using Amazon as a selling platform. No excuses though.

40 minutes ago, KenC said:

I have even been told that they have a refurb warehouse where these sorts of products are re bagged and paperwork etc are replaced in preparation for their return to sale.  

Yes, Amazon do have such a facility & they make it abundantly clear what you are getting:

image.thumb.png.bc4bab6ae37ed71fd464c63e8dd880a1.png

• Like 1

On 08/08/2023 at 18:42, Rich Griff said:

Did research on Vivo diesel heater on Amazon UK.

They said they had 8 in stock so we went ahead with the order.

Money taken out of my account in double quick time, light speed even !

Days pass, no show, no Comms...

Hassle hassle hassle, eventually told NONE in stock, money eventually refunded.

I don't want to be banned from here but Amazon are.......

Why on earth would you be banned from the forum just for stating fact ? 

In response to my berating  a service, it is only justice that I offer account of good service..... To that end I received today from Ali Express Total price for all items £24.96 including British VAT at import and delivery costs. Ordered on the 3rd August and delivered on the 10th !    Why the hell did a UK trader similarly take that time to send me a nut and screw in the post at three times the oriental price ?  

image.png.3e8210ff8fd214e51373f39f6f179cc3.png