Servo Lead Extensions

Andy J

Have been looking over the last couple of months for some servo extension leads as my stock is running low.  I Usually buy the JR 22awg twisted wire type with locking tabs but there seems to be a shortage of supply across the globe for the last 6 months. Yes you can buy singular leads, but I normally like to purchase multiple packs which HK used to sell as its far more cost effective. Has anyone else noticed this or perhaps found an alternative supplier of multiple leads. 

I'm afraid that after one duff purchase of a pack of 10 extension leads from an unknown supplier, they failed the pull test, went straight in the bin and I went back to getting my extension leads from my mainstream suppliers, such as Servoshop or Leeds Model Shop. I use them as additional items to help spread the postage cost, so always have some in stock. I prefer the JR style leads and recently have been trying out the twisted, soft silicon wire examples. 

Hi Andy

It really is very easy to make them up from old servo leads etc. I keep the plug end intact, and join the wires. You have exactly the length you need, and you have quality control. Bare the wires, solder them together, and protect the lot with heat shrink.  Also, its not difficult to fix the plugs on.

There are zillions of tutorials on the web.

ernie

; T

• Like 1

I used 22 gauge wire for one of my 2 mtr aircraft that had twin elevator mini digital servos.  This added a lot of weight as the lead was just over 1 m long.  Changed it to a 26 gauge wire and I've not noticed any problems apart from it being half the weight!  On that basis, I will not be using the heavier gauge wire in future on these large aerobatic models as the additional weight doesn't seem to be justified.  If I were wiring up retracts in war birds with 70+ in wing span I might use the heavier gauge wire.  So, for all the usual type of club models I cannot see any point in adding the additional cost or weight either.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PDB said:

Any advice on when you would use the heavier 22AWG over the lighter weight 26AWG?

My 2p.

This site has the current carrying capacity of 26AWG wire as 361mA and 22AWG as 920mA, admittedly it is talking about a solid copper power wire but you can see the relative margin. I would wager some modern digital servos would draw more than either of those in a stalled condition. You also benefit from a stronger tensile strength but I would imagine the crimp would be the weakest link in the 'chain'.

For anything more than the smallest of installations I would always go for the thicker gauge.

• Thanks 2

It’s just a physical strength thing as far as I’m concerned with 26 vs 22SWG. 26 gauge always seems a bit fragile to me, when you consider the twisting, bending and other stresses placed upon servo wires (and extensions). So I tend to prefer 22 gauge except for small light, or indoor models.

On 05/08/2023 at 09:11, PDB said:

Any advice on when you would use the heavier 22AWG over the lighter weight 26AWG?

Personally, on wing servo extensions or anywhere where a higher voltage (>4.8v) battery is being used.  I'd also use them if they were all I had in 'stock'!

On 04/08/2023 at 16:24, Ernie said:

Hi Andy

It really is very easy to make them up from old servo leads etc. I keep the plug end intact, and join the wires. You have exactly the length you need, and you have quality control. Bare the wires, solder them together, and protect the lot with heat shrink.  Also, its not difficult to fix the plugs on.

There are zillions of tutorials on the web.

ernie

I have always made my own. Being a pessimist I always thought the time would come when stuff might be hard to get so bought tons of wire, plugs, and crimping tool to make my own up. Pessimism does pay. I still have a ton of 6 mm white Depron as well!

; T

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one of THESE from Ali Express and THIS and some of THESE....

Cheap as beans!

Now I have enough servo leadery until I kick the bucket.

KB

P.S. the same crimp tool will do JST connectors and the little ones on lipo balance leads too. In fact it'll do any DuPont type connection. The crimp tool to search for is the SN-01BM they are ubiquitous and cheap Amazon if you are wealthy or Ali-Express if you have a couple of weeks to wait.

Edited by Keith Billinge
I'm very old!

I too have a crimp tool but it has taken months (if not years) of practice to ensure a secure connection is made with the selected wire.  Using a headset magnifier certainly improves the end result for those of a certain age.

A good trick is to buy 1m pre-made leads and then cut these down as required and this results in three less crimps.