The Big Question ?

RICHARD WILLS

5 minutes ago, martin collins 1 said:

Can we make these kits this years forum Mass build, how about we put it up on the 2023 mass build thread, there are enough of us committing to out vote anything else and it might jog a few others into ordering so they can join in?

We need an expert to explain how to do that Martin . 😁

Hi Richard, a couple of years ago I built a FW190 d. Enlarged from a Clive Smalley free plan to 48” span. It flew very well on 4 cells & always launched from a drop off dolly. Now needs some repairs. 
I’ve been a very good boy this year so I’m thinking of ordering the 190 & perhaps the Tempest too for Christmas.

The big question for me is will my 4s 4000 lipo’s fit into the battery bay? Please say yes.

On 25/10/2023 at 17:14, John Timmis said:

Hi Richard, a couple of years ago I built a FW190 d. Enlarged from a Clive Smalley free plan to 48” span. It flew very well on 4 cells & always launched from a drop off dolly. Now needs some repairs. 
I’ve been a very good boy this year so I’m thinking of ordering the 190 & perhaps the Tempest too for Christmas.

The big question for me is will my 4s 4000 lipo’s fit into the battery bay? Please say yes.

Yes .

John , 

Thanks for raising that question , because I'm sure a few others have been stroking their chins while browsing the battery mountain in the garage .

Ive found a pack that is exactly your dimensions (145 x50 x25 ) .  Goes in without mod or struggle . Ive shown a picture with the lid on . you'll have to take my word that it fits . 

If anyone wants to use longer than say a 150mm pack , then making a square hole in the second former where Ive shown the green tape , will give infinite options . 

I am going to suggest that rather than putting battery straps etc in , perhaps just precut pieces of foam to stop the battery moving will give more options in terms of you existing packs , but each to their own . 

The Tempest , although narrower will have an even deeper chin profile (Jimmy Hill , Bruce Forsyth, nice to see you etc ) so will also accommodate long 4s packs or two smaller 3s packs . 

fw battery 1.jpg

IMG_6427.jpg

IMG_6428.jpg

• Like 1