The Big Question ?

RICHARD WILLS

I'd like to see a re-run of the La-7 as I procrastined too long the last time you produced some kits so that would be top of my list for single engine types.

I'd also like to see a twin-engined model done in this format. The Mosquito is the obvious choice but the Mistubishi TK-4 mentioned earlier would be a very interesting alternative as would something like the Heinkel He-219.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, martin collins 1 said:

As mentioned earlier a Beaufort would be good, flat sides, interesting shape, added bonus of scratch building or 3D printing a torpedo which could be dropped, useful to hold onto to launch it as well 😃

attardbeaufortb.jpg

Very nice Martin, but apart from you and me how many would like to build one? 

Well, I for one would love to build a Beaufort - one of my very favourite aeroplanes, but realistically I doubt you'd sell 15 Beaufort kits, likewise the He 219, BR20 or TK-4. A twin is immediately going to attract a fraction of the sales of a single engined model and then to have it as a relatively obscure twin would decimate the potential sales.  I'm not sure that they would release the information, but Sarik would know how many short kits they have sold for twins, versus single engined designs.

Hi, As much as I would like a twin I just cant see us getting the numbers unless its a Mossie, but I would put my name down for one anyway!

There are twins and twins. I waited nearly 2 years for the Peter Miller Grumpy Tiger Cub kit from Sarik, gave up and friend/me paid Chris at SLEC to produce the cutting files and knock a set of kits out. Does that give an idea of the number of twins they sell?

image.png.2bccd5b01b6989701d2e8675567f0449.png

I think the could be mileage in a less mainstream single motor model (like the Tempest!) so I think Richard could look through the list of prospective asks and then based on his knowledge of what will fly well and build easily, then ask us lot to put our names in the hat!

• Like 1

I’m not sure you’re right there, leccy. Twins had a fearsome reputation in the olden days (pre electric!!!) but now I think they are a definite possibility. For me it would have to be an allied aircraft, I don’t do the evil axis, and a mossie is definitely at the top of the list. A Beaufighter, short nose, would be good and some of the American twins are good looking aeroplanes. Please everyone send subliminal messages to Richard that Armageddon will arrive if he doesn’t do a mossie and it will be all his fault!!!

David

Don't get me wrong, I'd have a Mosquito in a heartbeat and have made that suggestion to Richard, would have loved to have one of Richard's Bf110s and already have his Ju88. Chuck in a Blenheim, Dornier DO17, couple of Mosquitoes, an Anson, several Beaufighters (though still yet to fly one), a couple of P-38s, a couple of Bf110s, a Hs129, Heinkel He111, C-47 and a Wellington and you'll see that I do like a twin. I'm talking about the relative number of likely sales, compared to a single engined model.

Tricky isnt it ? 

Havent had many Sea Furies mentioned , which surprises me as its... British , cool ,fast but practical . (just saying ) 

P47 is similar but American , (other types are available ) on the single engine choices . 

The twin thing is interesting . 

It does seem that electric twins are somehow being marred by the reputation of the IC twins that went before . I agree with you all when you say about numbers of twins sold compared with singles .

Which brings up the questions (perhaps best answered by those without a twin ) , what puts you off ?

Reliability ? Complexity ? Wiring ? Size ? two Batteries (not always needed ) ? 

I say that because if we can put the twins on a level field with the singles , then we have more choice . 

Secondly , they have a few advantages 

namely , Motor/ prop combi is very flexible and cheap . (multi engines even more so thanks to cheap drone motors ) 

Large wheels make for versatile and practical flying . Better suited to Foam veneer wings (no retract bays etc )  so less component parts . 

Novelty value at the field and amusingly different shape in the air . 

Lots not modelled so refreshing . 

Whirlwind is particular favourite of mine for example . The word Mossie has been used a lot I note . But what about those with reservations ?

Lets hear it from them . Anyone anti Mossie and if so why ? Everybody else , no rebukes , just listen as we may learn something interesting about barriers .

(Not the ARMCO type )

PPs is a Barrier a Jack Russell called Barry ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

Tricky isnt it ? 

Havent had many Sea Furies mentioned , which surprises me as its... British , cool ,fast but practical . (just saying ) 

The twin thing is interesting . 

I'd find a Sea Fury difficult to ignore, as my dad was on these when he was in the FAA, and they've also been a favourite on the airshow circuit.😎

Similarly, a Beaufighter would be another I'd struggle to pass over, as my friend / mentor when I first started r/c back in the late 70's flew them during WW2.

I can see why the layout could be a problem, though.

Keeping a watching brief.....................................................

kim

Sea Fury and P47 both high on my list. I’ve done both in foamboard but a bigger balsa version with retracts would be very nice. Both nice simple shapes too. 
However…

I’d struggle to justify another plane so similar in concept to the FW190 (assuming Santa comes up with the goods 😉). Storage space, cost etc for something “the same”. So a twin would be very interesting assuming I do OK with the FW190. Main stumbling blocks for me would be:

1.) Wiring. I hate soldering (but I could do it)

2.) Field assembly - it’d be more faff to prep for flight. 
That said a larger (therefore better flying) model using cheap motors etc would be a nice progression of my building and flying skills. I’d probably be up for it come the summer…

Edited by Lipo Man
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lipo Man said:

1.) Wiring. I hate soldering (but I could do it)

Depends on the configuration of the battery location but even if 1 fuse located battery then Y lead adapters are available. If the batteries are nacelle mounted (as per my Depron Mossie and as I had in my WR BF110) then even less of an issue.

8 minutes ago, Lipo Man said:

Field assembly - it’d be more faff to prep for flight.

Not really that much more but does depend on the size and if 1 piece wing etc. With my BF110 I only needed to bolt the wing in place and as I was using SBus for the wing servos it just required one Rx connection from each wing.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

The word Mossie has been used a lot I note . But what about those with reservations ?

Lets hear it from them . Anyone anti Mossie and if so why

Would just prefer something different, it is probably the most produced twin by the model companies although twins in general are few and far between compared with the singles. How about a B25, flat sides so easier to produce scale and better to grip when launching, RAF, Dutch, USAAF etc, plenty of different schemes, gun noses or glazed noses and most important of all NOSE ART 😜. Having produced a pair of singles and attracted in some `New blood` it might be a good new step to move on to a twin which if using electric are as easy to fly as a single and in so doing educate the previously wary how easy they are. Retracts in nacelles means they can be easily retro fitted for those that want to go that route.

b25.jpg

Edited by martin collins 1

4 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Personally, I prefer something less 'bomber-y' I'd get bored just flying circuits and low passes ....... but I appreciate there are other views 🙂

Me too GG at least fighters  can be thrown around and still look scale, I have a Lancaster and Sunderland, they look great flying around but I take the Acrowot or similar to keep awake. 

• Like 1

I believe that I am correct in saying that the Mosquito had a similar performance as most of the fighter aircraft and was in fact classed as a fighter/bomber.

In terms of models, another advantage of a twin is that you can cancel out any torque effect on take-off by having the electric motors rotating in opposite directions.

• Like 2

Good answers from everyone , thank you .

We've sold a lot of Spitfires over the years . I wonder what answer you would get from those builders ? ie what next ? 

To some extent the "sleeping " Spitfire builders hold a lot of clout because of the numbers . 

interestingly , I find the Hurricane fans have generally different taste . Which doesn't help .

You'd think all the La7 fans would want a Yak or Mig , but rarely do I hear that . 

Edited by RICHARD WILLS

You're not likely to go wrong with a Spitfire or Hurricane, since can never have too many Spitfires IMO. 😎

Different folks are looking for different things, even in the niche world of sports scale warbirds. For me personally, a lot of the pleasure is in researching a particular scheme and so an aeroplane has to have some history to make it attractive, whilst for many folks a generic scheme, not attributable to a particular aeroplane will be fine - their main thing might be ease of operation, speed of build and finishing.

In threads like this one - looking for the next desirable warbird - you'll often see types like the Martin Baker MB-5 and other non-operational types being proposed and they hold zero interest for me, as they have no operational history.

Hi, in 70+ years of modelling I’ve never done a Spitfire , or a Mustang , or a 109. it’s a gap that really needs filling.  A Sea Fury would be very tempting. I very much like Hurricanes but have already done the Brian Taylor one. A friend gave me  a Mosquito that was built for ic, I have converted it to electric but  have not dared to try a maiden. It’s the very old CAP design for those of you with a long memory. The pointy wings & lack of washout put me off.  So many models & not enough time.

• Like 1