The Big Question ?

RICHARD WILLS

That model is a proper box of frogs Chris . I take my hat off to the pilot . Even the Dutch roll on the way in speaks volumes . 

If anyone is worried about all twins being like that , then think again . If you have a look at the original WBR Ju 88 thread , you can watch Ady doing some lovely landings and full aerobatic routine with my 72" version . 

TNs Beaufighter also seems to fly very nicely as does my 110 . (ask Ron !) .

Advert

13 minutes ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

That model is a proper box of frogs Chris . I take my hat off to the pilot . Even the Dutch roll on the way in speaks volumes . 

If anyone is worried about all twins being like that , then think again . If you have a look at the original WBR Ju 88 thread , you can watch Ady doing some lovely landings and full aerobatic routine with my 72" version . 

TNs Beaufighter also seems to fly very nicely as does my 110 . (ask Ron !) .

Hi, I concur and my point was that a good design shouts volumes like the WR FW190, P38, OV 10, and Grumpy Tiger Cub, but the things that you are not in control of like our build quality for example can turn beauty into a beast. The PZ Mosquito all be it quite a lot smaller was a super flyer before I sold it on so I think is doable, but I still think the way to go to give us all the best chance is dolly launch as it removes the chance of UC damage and gets rid of a load of weight....then at a later date do a UC upgrade pack if people want it.

It wasn't until very near the end of the Ta 154 build that I found out that the Ta154 has 25% less wing area compared with the same size DH98, I have the wood pack for it and one I'll make a lightweight version and give it another go!

I know that adding yet another option into the mix is entirely unhelpful, vis a vis the herding of cats here.  However, as the possibility of a twin has been well and truly broached I can't help noticing that the Douglas A26 Invader is a very handsome beast and not often modelled? Some very nice schemes as well.  Just saying - my preference is still for a bigger than FW190 single engine but very much open to other possibilities!

• Like 1

There's been about four or five different ARTF or kit-based  A-26 Invaders on the market in the past few years, from Phoenix, Nexa, VQ and ASM plus plan packs from Sarik, so it's reasonably popular as a type in the USA at least.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Keith Billinge said:

Alright you lot......If I cant have my Japanese plane I'd love to see an Arado Blitz Ar234 with twin 50mm EDF's
A hand launch and belly lander would be fine.

s-l1200.jpg

Good one Keith, make a change from the ME262 or over modelled A10 Warthog. Thinks; the plexiglas in the front might be a tad vulnerable in a less than perfect landing but it could always be painted balsa. Go on, build one and have the plan published in RCM&E!

Both the 110 and 88 didnt disappoint and Ady flew his captured 88 in many competitions . He absolutely loved that model and Ron felt the same about his 110 .

Of course, they are both excellent flyers , but you can see that these two have very nice manners . 

Having said that , we sold only about 15 Ju88s and maybe 25  Bf110s . 

Criminal really, considering the work that went in and how valued they were by those that flew them . 

I wont give up on the twin for the masses idea . It may be that a single pack , slightly smaller twin will win the day . 

The Mossie is the most awkward one , but it is without doubt the most popular . 

• Like 1

Any twin about 60" span will fly on a single lipo if built light. I know my Whirlwind and 110 are made from foamboard and depron but a balsa model could be made almost as light if no undercarriage is required.

My son built this 110 from a scaled down Brian Taylor plan. It is 58" span and had 2 small Axi motors pre lipo it had an 8cell Nmh battery, great flyer. I made my depron and foamboard version from the same plan. Mine has two Racestar 3536 950kv and a 3s 3000 battery. 

20240423_223053.jpg

• Like 2

As much as I like the presence of the 72" twins ,( and if you look a the videos and still shots of the models above , they are very realistic) , the comments often used are ,

I dont have room for one or it wont go in my car . There is also the extra time taken to charge two batteries rather than one.

The other factor is that even a lightish one of say , 10lb will require beefy retracts especially as the trunions are working for and aft rather than Mustang style . 

A 60" inch model on one standard 4s pack would appeal to more people and would be flown as a hack rather than a Sunday special . 

I'm not saying twins are the final decision , but in order to broaden the choices we must consider what the barriers are . Wing loading and landing speed must be low to protect the cheap retracts (if fitted ) . The smaller the model , the harder it is to reduce weight . 

For me , the design problem is fairly substantial because I would prefer a 60" model to be able to take retracts as well as be a less daunting entry level twin . 

We could pretty much guarantee that it would be a Mossie since I must hit the number to justify it . 

The Tempest and 190 could have small profit margins because of the numbers sold . I would be surprised if we hit 35 Mossies so my time and expense would be a consideration . 

The 60" twin would have to come apart quickly with just one coupling , but split in such a way that gave minimal storage and rigging . 

The reason that I chose the Ju88 and Bf110 for my first twin kits , is because they have square section fuselages . So as a twin is more complicated to make than a single engined model , at least the fuselage can be made quickly .

The British stuff never has straight lines !

I’ve just read “Mosquito Men” by David Price about 627 Squadron Pathfinders. Great book about an amazing aircraft and the heroes that flew them. A 60inch, single 4s, hand launched would tick all the boxes for me. With your skill in producing great looking, great flying models, Richard, I would have thought you would have a winner on your hands. I’m definitely in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Geoff Gardiner said:

it turned out a bit heavy

15 minutes ago, Geoff Gardiner said:

a nasty tipstall incident

Typical of most Mossies I've seen and heard of, apart from my little cartoon one that is! Note square fuse, well square everything really yet it still looks like a Mossie.

IMG_8445.thumb.jpeg.d5742f8a5e9e55f6a75357d780a2a81e.jpeg

• Like 2