Frustration after too many years

eflightray

Ok' I give up.

I had already decided to give up model building and flying. Regulations, BMFA etc

I have now decided to also give up this forum and just stick with and stick with RCGroups.

Having 'accidently' found a post that looked like it could be worth following, I loose it and the then dates seem to jump to a different year.

I have a load of models to get rid of, and plus, spares. ( cheap to free, but need to be collected, no one seems to be willing to show what part of the country they are even in, for me to even contact similar fliers/builders, for me to offer some models they can have.

So I have just decided the Disney channel is probably easier to navigate  (less frustrating) than the rcme mickey mouse.

Ray (Yes,old, and more and more frustrated. It's just not enjoyable

• Like 1

I get disenchanted with hobbies from time to time too Ray, but there are so many avenues to explore, just try something different and you'll probably feel more positive - try a photography drone, slope, LIDL gliders are great fun. Indoor flying. Try free-flight its amazing fun, or electric control-line - Carrier Deck looks fun.  Do something you did or wanted to do as a kid but couldnt at the time. Build an electronics project, there are lots of easy retro computer projects.  Buy a sheet of floor underlay and make a few chuckies. Convert a pushbike to electric. Or just take a break.  Regarding forums, they're not compulsary,  have a look if you feel like it, dont if not.  RC Groups can be as tedious as any sometimes!  And the regulations - yes they're a bind, but dont blame the BMFA, they're our only ally, and they've made the necessary red-tape much easier than going it alone 🙂

Chin up, tomorrows another day 🙂

• Like 6

Sorry to hear that eflightray, from 'somewhere', (south of France ) rcgroups is a bit dead at the moment, and this sight is well awake with a lot of interesting and knowledgable people, with 40°c days for a while now where I am, I took my old Raptor .50 out at 7.30am, and gave it a whirl, it also put new life into me changing from warbirds and I did a bit old 3 channel gliding in the evening, as Phil says, a change of discipline can wake you up,,,

Hi eflighttray,

I too am sorry to hear of your disillusionment....

Slope soaring is a breath of fresh air but you may live in Norfolk...

Freeflight are the real aeromodellers, even indoors...

I am sure the vultures are circling, but if you have any Cox stuff I would be very interested offering a good price, also an unstarted/partially started precedent hi boy MK1 and lesro 576 RC yacht.

rich ( financially challenged ) in Snowdonia.

Don't give up...

All the lads comments here Ray, are because we all hit a cul de sac from time to time. As they say, change of view is the starting point , is why we go on holiday, to change our viewpoint. The weather alone has frustrated us no end, and there is nothing any of us can do about that. My own ploy was to look again a finescale modelling and make up some freelance railway wagon designs, using all skills necessary to make them look real. Replenished my acrylics for the airbrush and have a great time. Keep posting to give us a chance to help.

10 hours ago, eflightray said:

Having 'accidently' found a post that looked like it could be worth following, I loose it and the then dates seem to jump to a different year.

What topic was it non? Can you in remember who posted it? Many don’t know but there is a very good advanced search feature within this site that allows Boolean searches, searches by user and time period, etc - give it a try…

https://forums.modelflying.co.uk/index.php?/search/

Edited by MattyB

10 hours ago, eflightray said:

I have a load of models to get rid of, and plus, spares. (cheap to free, but need to be collected, no one seems to be willing to show what part of the country they are even in, for me to even contact similar fliers/builders, for me to offer some models they can have.

Putting detailed address info (or even the town you live in)) on a public forum is not recommended for security reasons, so I don’t think it’s really fair to blame forum participants for this Can you not just contact local clubs in your area via email with a list of kit that you are looking to sell or give away? It may be more straightforward, as then everything would go via a local pickup.

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

Hello Ray

We've known each other for many years, at least virtually via RCG and I've marvelled at so many of your creations, so it saddened me to hear a while back  that you were bringing your involvement in the hobby to a close. There's good advice in this thread on how different folks deal with their interest in different aspects of the hobby waxing and waning over time and a bit of variety and even a temporary shift in focus really helps keep the enjoyment going. One of the hardest things to cope with is losing kindred spirits in the hobby and sadly it's an inevitable fact of life. Those events coincided with a few of the rare slumps that I've had in pursuing this marvellous hobby.  From your post I suspect that you don't have a pool of kindred spirits locally and that is a real shame.

If it's the regulations and associated hassle in continuing to operate as you have been doing, maybe a slight change of direction would rekindle your interest and allow you to reconsider withdrawing from the hobby entirely - Phil makes some sensible suggestions of alternatives that could by-pass those frustrations and keep you in the hobby. I hope that some of those could work for you - an example is my recent foray into vintage R/C and single channel, where Phil has been a huge help. Trying to recreate my teen years fifty years on has been a hugely enjoyable experience and change of direction and I've rediscovered balsa bashing after probably 20 years of mainly foamies.

As regards forums, they are definitely nothing to be stressed about - yes, this forum is a bit clunky in it's implementation, but it's miles better than it used to be and the content and the folks here make it well worth persevering with. Likewise RCG, it isn't the same place that it was in the old ezone days, but there are still plenty of old virtual pals there and much to be gained. If either of those are frustrating, for whatever reason, it's very easy to just take a wee break and come back later, refreshed and refocussed.

I hope that you manage to reconcile and resolve some of those frustrations - I would have loved to see your models in person, as many of them are of huge interest to me and I've greatly enjoyed following your posts about them, however I'm now relocated to Perthshire, so that's not really an option. Even if you dial back your involvement it would be great to hear that you are still active in the hobby in some way.

Best wishes

Brian

Sorry to hear you are giving up Ray, like you I dabble in the unconventional foam board depron etc. From what I gather you live many miles from me not as far as leccyflyer so I didn't respond to your previous post of disposing of your models. It's sad that legislation is getting worse with people trying to make rules of something they know little about. I have been a modeller all my life and will carry on till I'm uncapable after all the alternatives don't appeal to me. 

Keep going Ray.

Just don't take up shooting as a sport. The legislation and expensive of is putting plenty off.

But then that may well be the plan so powers that be can say "we have reduced gun ownership".  Never mind there are more in criminal hands than ever.

• Like 1

Just take a sabbatical, Ray.  Don't dispose of anything yet.  Knowing roughly where you are, there are at least two clubs not more than 30 minutes from you, I'd guess.  Maybe drop in on them in a month or two and see if there are a few 'kindred spirits'?

34 minutes ago, Mike T said:

Just take a sabbatical, Ray.  Don't dispose of anything yet.  Knowing roughly where you are, there are at least two clubs not more than 30 minutes from you, I'd guess.  Maybe drop in on them in a month or two and see if there are a few 'kindred spirits'?

I think we all get a tad stale with our hobby, and this is often caused by many and various distracting things going on within other aspects of our day to day lives. Each to their own, naturally, but I'd recommend a total break from aeromodelling for a few months at least. Don't go near it at all, don't sell anything - do something else or even don't get involved with anything new. Time away works wonders.

I had a similar hiatus with motorcycling very many years ago after a friend was killed in a biking accident. I sold up completely and stopped doing something that I loved dearly. Several years later, I regretted that decision very much indeed, it was made in haste and didn't do any good. Still biking now after time effected a cure.

Good luck Ray, I'm sure things will look very different in a few months time.

Edited by Cuban8

16 hours ago, eflightray said:

Ok' I give up.

I had already decided to give up model building and flying. Regulations, BMFA etc

I am always saddened to hear that the regulations have contributed to someone thinking of giving up. Barely anything has changed for us and we can do just about everything we always have been able to do.

• Like 8

My club had its annual BBQ/fly-in/family day, last Sunday. Plenty of flying, everything from small foamies to turbines and a really nice large Pitts Special. We didn't interfere with anyone or any other air user or vehicle, unmanned or otherwise, and vice-versa. Only other aircraft seen were the passenger jets at 35000 ft, a Spitfire in the distance that often makes an appearance at altitude and a few light aircraft popping in and out of an airfield several miles away. Makes you wonder what all the fuss is about.............

10 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

Hello Ray

We've known each other for many years, at least virtually via RCG and I've marvelled at so many of your creations, so it saddened me to hear a while back  that you were bringing your involvement in the hobby to a close. There's good advice in this thread on how different folks deal with their interest in different aspects of the hobby waxing and waning over time and a bit of variety and even a temporary shift in focus really helps keep the enjoyment going. One of the hardest things to cope with is losing kindred spirits in the hobby and sadly it's an inevitable fact of life. Those events coincided with a few of the rare slumps that I've had in pursuing this marvellous hobby.  From your post I suspect that you don't have a pool of kindred spirits locally and that is a real shame.

If it's the regulations and associated hassle in continuing to operate as you have been doing, maybe a slight change of direction would rekindle your interest and allow you to reconsider withdrawing from the hobby entirely - Phil makes some sensible suggestions of alternatives that could by-pass those frustrations and keep you in the hobby. I hope that some of those could work for you - an example is my recent foray into vintage R/C and single channel, where Phil has been a huge help. Trying to recreate my teen years fifty years on has been a hugely enjoyable experience and change of direction and I've rediscovered balsa bashing after probably 20 years of mainly foamies.

As regards forums, they are definitely nothing to be stressed about - yes, this forum is a bit clunky in it's implementation, but it's miles better than it used to be and the content and the folks here make it well worth persevering with. Likewise RCG, it isn't the same place that it was in the old ezone days, but there are still plenty of old virtual pals there and much to be gained. If either of those are frustrating, for whatever reason, it's very easy to just take a wee break and come back later, refreshed and refocussed.

I hope that you manage to reconcile and resolve some of those frustrations - I would have loved to see your models in person, as many of them are of huge interest to me and I've greatly enjoyed following your posts about them, however I'm now relocated to Perthshire, so that's not really an option. Even if you dial back your involvement it would be great to hear that you are still active in the hobby in some way.

Best wishes

Brian

Hi Brian, thanks for the comments. I think the frustrations stem as much from myself as any other thing, like working to here by using posted on times. Why no end/last of post.or have I missed that, (RCG seems so  easy. Ray. Health is another factor. I could also go on about all the things I have tried over my 80 years, 70 of them model related. Hope this works -- http://www.eflightray.x10host.com/

1 hour ago, eflightray said:

Hi Brian, thanks for the comments. I think the frustrations stem as much from myself as any other thing, like working to hear by using posted on times. Why no end/last of post.or have I missed that, (RCG seems so easy).

I suspect you may be using a pretty old device/browser; all the devices I acces on send me straight to the first unread post on opening a thread. The first post/last post controls sit at the top and bottom of eac page, they look a bit like fast forward and rewind on an old skool VCR:

C190788E-50DB-4C9C-A4BD-4667861FE1D0.jpeg.3e6796c25b45f2859d9de6980ea357d6.jpeg

Edited by MattyB