Hobbyking coming back to the UK

My HK grey bag containing 2 x 4000 5s lipos had split in transit. The boxes inc lipos and original grey packaging were in a RM repackaging bag with a sticker saying "the original packaging had been damaged and re packaged by RM". That made it very obvious to RM what was being sent 😉 All present, correct and undamaged.

58 minutes ago, Trevor said:

But we’re all still on tenterhooks until Geoff gets his Gladiator . . .

Yodel inform me that my package is due today (Friday 10th).  I hope it's not just the LiPos.  Unfortunately they haven't given me a delivery window so I can't (or won't) go out despite the sunny but cold morning.  So I'll get on with making the sprung undercarriage for my Fokker DVIII. 

1 hour ago, Geoff S said:

Yodel inform me that my package is due today (Friday 10th).  I hope it's not just the LiPos.  Unfortunately they haven't given me a delivery window so I can't (or won't) go out despite the sunny but cold morning.  So I'll get on with making the sprung undercarriage for my Fokker DVIII. 

If it's Yodel the only "delivery window" you will get will be the one they throw your parcel through, probably three doors down the road!

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Shaun Walsh said:

If it's Yodel the only "delivery window" you will get will be the one they throw your parcel through, probably three doors down the road!

Sad but true in my experience, more than once. In fact, more than twice. 😪 On one occasion they actually left a large parcel in my half full wheelie bin. Good job I lifted the lid the night I put the bins out, else it would have come and gone without me ever knowing.

Edited by Futura57

1 hour ago, Futura57 said:

Sad but true in my experience, more than once. In fact, more than twice. 😪 On one occasion they actually left a large parcel in my half full wheelie bin. Good job I lifted the lid the night I put the bins out, else it would have come and gone without me ever knowing.

Ordered a torque wrench from Amazon, next day delivery. After 3 days I complained and they sent me another one. Three weeks later a neighbour two doors down on the other side of the road gave me a very wet parcel. It had been thrown over his side gate and embedded itself in his hedge half way down the path. Thanks Yodel.

Edited by Shaun Walsh

2 hours ago, Futura57 said:

Being a Yodel delivery driver must be hard.  I think my 'local' depot is near Lichfield. The driver delivering my package is apparently in Wolverhampton delivering package number 42 of 126.  There are a further 65 drops before he gets to me 10 miles north of Derby.  If it's only 1 minute/drop that's over 2 hours and Wolverhampton is about 40 miles from us so the driving/route finding/finding somewhere to park etc must take up a lot of time.  I bet the pay isn't much either.  No excuses for not making the delivery, of course, but I can see why.  My package is due between 1745 and 1945 today so it's a long day for the driver I hope he doesn't trip on the huge potholes in the dark.

As a teenager I used to go to people's houses to repair TVs and parking was simple because the streets were empty of vehicles. I bet it's a nightmare now.  Even when I was young and strong I wouldn't have fancied carrying a TV 100 yds back to the van!

The Gladiator has landed safely at 1940 (appropriate time, I guess - my birth year) this evening.  The batteries were sensibly packed in with the model itself but there was no indication on the box that there were LiPos inside.  I bought them because all my 4S LiPos are 4AH and the model specifies 2.2AH. A quick look reveals adequate space for a 4AH (I tried with a blue foam battery sim 🙂 ).

Here's the big box:

1656768046_Glad03.thumb.jpg.9edc564abfc3aab473749f61a85654f9.jpg

and partly unpacked

1441320538_Glad02.thumb.jpg.d15075094ee944822ed318e15e64e5c3.jpg

All is (almost) revealed

1773864302_Glad01.thumb.jpg.676e59e6939be5189cf5a892ae81bdcd.jpg

Very happy with both HK and Yodel's service even though delivery is November rather than late October as promised.  Free postage and extra discount triggered the purchase for me and on checking the rest of the contents it all looks undamaged.  I'll create another thread for more details.

• Like 6

I have seen the post that Hobbyking are back in the UK, for some time. I took no notice, as I thought, wishful thinking, it will not happen.

It has come as a really pleasant surprise, that it is true.

I have struggled for some time now in purchasing what I have wanted. 

Hobbyking in the past kept the model trade honest, in that they offered real competition. Particularly for those small items.

• Like 1

@Geoff S - did the Gladiator come from the UK warehouse, Geoff - they don't appear to be in stock 🤥

I've spent a lot of money with HK in the past and probably will do again, but the notion that they kept the model trade 'honest' is fanciful (and that's putting it several orders of magnitude more politely than the word I was minded to use).

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Mike T said:

@Geoff S - did the Gladiator come from the UK warehouse, Geoff - they don't appear to be in stock 🤥

I've spent a lot of money with HK in the past and probably will do again, but the notion that they kept the model trade 'honest' is fanciful (and that's putting it several orders of magnitude more politely than the word I was minded to use).

Yes, I think so.  It was free P&P.  When the first batch came into the country a few weeks ago there were several Gladiators (<10 IIRC) marked as 'in stock' - with an indication of the number left but they went within a week.  I ordered and paid for mine in mid-September so I've been waiting a while.

I've started putting it together and I'm quite impressed with the design and the fit of the components.  Most of today was fitting the decals (there's a lot of them) and the quality is very high - they're no thicker than a coat of paint and conform well with irregularities of the foam.  My main gripe is that there's no pilot despite a clear canopy.

• Like 1

I believe that HK kept the UK model trade, nearer to honesty, in that small items like "servo leads" could be purchase as a 10 off item, for the price of a single lead from the LMS or MS. I cannot but notice that price of UK sourced model kits have shot up in price since that HK were no longer competing. Although the Netherlands RBC kits seem to be good value compared to many, I am building a RBC Dornier 335, excellent kit, where I have HK, electric UC, Motors, ESCs, Rx, servos,  which are/were affordable for me.

I have just purchased a 3548 at a price that is half (approx) of the same badged motor from a UK source.

It seemed strange to me that I have purchased servos, from a quad on-line site, for roughly the same price that I had purchased from HK, whereas the same servos from model aircraft suppliers, were much more expensive. It seems that competition does wonders in sharpening prices.

• Like 1

Well here's a strange thing. I tried to order a King Twin 1700mm plane from the HK UK warehouse. It shows as in stock. I put it in my basket. But its impossible to buy as there is no shipping available to UK addresses.

I pursued it via live chat and helpdesk. The answer.  You can't buy it because no carrier is able to deliver it in the UK! So an "in stock" item on their website is impossible to buy. The wonderful world of Hobby King!

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to hear some positive experiences with the reincarnation of the Hobbyking UK Warehouse.

My experience was less than positive.

I ordered a Transmitter and Module on Black Friday. The item was listed as in stock in the UK "warehouse".

A few days later a small parcel arrived that could not possibly contain the Transmitter unless it was a TARDIS. Opening the parcel confirmed that it was nothing i ordered, just some random LiPo Battery.

After various emails to their pretty useless Customer Support, they provided a credit to My account. Their CS Advisors really do seem arrogant and delusional, and seem to take every opportunity to inform Me about Hobbyking being the largest global RC vendor.

However a credit to My account is not really helpful as I was hoping to get the Transmitter for Xmas (2023). There is no ETA  on the TX at this time from Hobbykong.

I also noted that the return address for the parcel was :-

51 Cargo.

Unit A,

Spectrum 23 Business Park,

Newton Le Willows,

WA12 8DN.

51 Cargo Services Ltd being listed at this address on U.K. Companies House.

So is Hobbyking really back in the U.K. ?.

I've used Hobbyking for quite a few years, but this last experience has made me decide to avoid them for the foreseeable future.

Slope Soarer, if you suspect Newton Le Willows is not in the UK, I can reassure you, it is!

Newton Le Willows is nearer to me than any MS. Although if just a return warehouse, not much use to me.

The location could have been selected as it is on the main West Coast rail route, also the Port of Liverpool is probably less than 30 miles away, again on a rail route. 

Could Liverpool being a major container port (Seaforth Dock Complex), being a deep water port, Maersk has transferred from Felixstowe, be the reason?

5 hours ago, SlopedSoarer said:

Glad to hear some positive experiences with the reincarnation of the Hobbyking UK Warehouse.

My experience was less than positive.

I ordered a Transmitter and Module on Black Friday. The item was listed as in stock in the UK "warehouse".

A few days later a small parcel arrived that could not possibly contain the Transmitter unless it was a TARDIS. Opening the parcel confirmed that it was nothing i ordered, just some random LiPo Battery.

After various emails to their pretty useless Customer Support, they provided a credit to My account. Their CS Advisors really do seem arrogant and delusional, and seem to take every opportunity to inform Me about Hobbyking being the largest global RC vendor.

However a credit to My account is not really helpful as I was hoping to get the Transmitter for Xmas (2023). There is no ETA  on the TX at this time from Hobbykong.

I also noted that the return address for the parcel was :-

51 Cargo.

Unit A,

Spectrum 23 Business Park,

Newton Le Willows,

WA12 8DN.

51 Cargo Services Ltd being listed at this address on U.K. Companies House.

So is Hobbyking really back in the U.K. ?.

I've used Hobbyking for quite a few years, but this last experience has made me decide to avoid them for the foreseeable future.

As the return address is in N-le-W, maybe give Rick Astley a ring - he'll never give you up, let you down, or desert you......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Years ago while playing Rugby on an Easter tour, in Yarmouth I think, we watch Newton Le Willows play, as we were one of the teams on that pitch after them.

Their star player was one Colin Welland, of Z Cars Kes, etc. 

This springs to mind as I’d never heard of the place before or since.

I must lead a sheltered life.

Before questioning SlopedSoarer's geographical knowledge, don't you think that perhaps he isn't questioning that the address is in the UK, more the fact that the return address doesn't mention HobbyKing, but instead another company?

As far as I can remember, the previous warehouse (in Suffolk) had the address listed as Lucky Stuff or some such name.

Brian.

• Like 2

Lucky Stuff Ltd is listed at Companies House as dormant.   Hextronik was shown as a shareholder.  Address is now deHavilland Close, Northolt.      One of the directors who has now resigned had his correspondence address as Elmsett Airfield Suffolk.

Edited by kc

1 hour ago, kc said:

Is there actually a UK warehouse?   Contact details don't reveal a UK address.

Do you get a VAT invoice when purchasing?  

51 Cargo website lists Drop Shipping as one of their services.......

I can't remember getting a VAT invoice but I'm 99% sure VAT was included (it states 'tax included' on the order).  However, it was free delivery so I can only assume it was actually posted in the UK from somewhere where a large consignment was delivered and stored, eg a warehouse. If that was merely a temporary, rented premises obviously I can't say but several others have reported receiving items far more quickly than if they'd been posted individually from China.

The point about VAT is important - it's surely what caused many local hobby shops to close.    We could buy at Hobbyking price  previously  but a local shop could not buy from Hobbyking etc and sell for the same price ( even for no profit ) because they would have to add 20percent VAT without having a VAT invoice to offset the VAT.   Sell in UK it would be 20 percent dearer at least.

We should insist on getting a VAT invoice with a VAT number on it if we are buying from UK source.  

Edited by kc