New Year Resolutions for 2024

I stayed in bed until 10:30 today pondering what 2024 will bring and whether I should proactively make any changes this coming year. This has been brought about by my neighbour who has been undergoing building work to the side of his house and is essentially land grabbing on the border into my land. It could be all out war if he persists. Not to mention my 84 year old mum who has just found out she has cancer. We still don't know the true extent or the prognosis. So I need something to keep me sane for what could be a tumultuous 2024.

1 - Visit my mum more. I generally see her every week or two. She is only half hour away. She is fiercely independent and has coped on her own for nearly forty years since my dad died aged 48 from an aneurism.

2 - Eat more healthily. Nothing too drastic. Eat less cheese and crisps. Drink less wine. Eat fewer cakes, though my wife just keeps on baking them, so I need to let her down gently.

3 - On the modelling front I need to tackle that build / repair pipeline without buying more models. And if I do buy one, then sell or crash one, or at least fly it like I stole it. So it's the annual dark nights fixup for me, just as soon as I finish my ducted fan Strange Quark design.

4 - Pick and choose my flying days when the weather is good and more members have their names down (we have a simple Web page for our EDMAC club to indicate our intent to fly up to a week in advance). I have lapsed my membership at my second, more local,  club to resist the temptation to rush out flying on an impulse.

5 - To fit in with point 4, to get some of those DIY jobs done around the house and in the garden.

6 - To cancel my BBC license. This is long overdue, but my wife still needs persuading. I've had enough of repeats, Woke and other propaganda. 

Happy New Year.

1 hour ago, Simon Chaddock said:

Repeats?

You mean you didn't watch the Great Escape (yet again) along with Lawrence of Arabia, Zulu and Die Hard? That was actually on twice on different channels.

You don't know what you are missing but then again perhaps you do. 😉

Happy new year everyone, friends dad ended up in the great escape camp cooking on one of the stoves....he arrived too late for his name to go in the hat to escape.

When the film was made in 1963,the camp survivors were invited to the first showing in London....when they came out,they all agreed....it was a load of 'rubbish'

Ken Anderson....ne....1...great escape dept.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 01/01/2024 at 11:06, Futura57 said:

I stayed in bed until 10:30 today pondering what 2024 will bring and whether I should proactively make any changes this coming year. This has been brought about by my neighbour who has been undergoing building work to the side of his house and is essentially land grabbing on the border into my land. It could be all out war if he persists. Not to mention my 84 year old mum who has just found out she has cancer. We still don't know the true extent or the prognosis. So I need something to keep me sane for what could be a tumultuous 2024.

1 - Visit my mum more. I generally see her every week or two. She is only half hour away. She is fiercely independent and has coped on her own for nearly forty years since my dad died aged 48 from an aneurism.

2 - Eat more healthily. Nothing too drastic. Eat less cheese and crisps. Drink less wine. Eat fewer cakes, though my wife just keeps on baking them, so I need to let her down gently.

3 - On the modelling front I need to tackle that build / repair pipeline without buying more models. And if I do buy one, then sell or crash one, or at least fly it like I stole it. So it's the annual dark nights fixup for me, just as soon as I finish my ducted fan Strange Quark design.

4 - Pick and choose my flying days when the weather is good and more members have their names down (we have a simple Web page for our EDMAC club to indicate our intent to fly up to a week in advance). I have lapsed my membership at my second, more local,  club to resist the temptation to rush out flying on an impulse.

5 - To fit in with point 4, to get some of those DIY jobs done around the house and in the garden.

6 - To cancel my BBC license. This is long overdue, but my wife still needs persuading. I've had enough of repeats, Woke and other propaganda. 

Happy New Year.

Came across this topic again and thought I would see how I'm performing against my intentions.

1 - Seeing my mum twice a week now. Sadly she has terminal aggressive cancer all over. No treatment possible, just increasing pain relief. Took her to Eastbourne yesterday to see the sea, probably her last opportunity to see it.

2 - Not doing too bad with eating more healthily. Definitely consuming less cheese and wine. My fitness feels like it's gone over a cliff edge this last year so I need to do some exercise.

3 - Strange Quark Mk2 is creeping along. Haven't done much in the way of minor model repairs for the coming flying season.

4 - My flying days are fewer but chosen with higher member turnout and better weather.

5 - On the DIY front I have started a substantial project to level my drive and generally improve kerb appeal of my property. I'm considering moving further away from London in the next couple of years before it all kicks off. Currently south, just inside the M25. Hiring a skip and a self-drive excavator in a couple of weeks, so that should be fun. In the meantime I'm getting plenty of cardiovascular exercise by manually digging and picking in those less accessible areas.

6 - My wife still believes the BBC news is balanced.

How did the land grab situation pan out ?

Not a new year resolution but still not smoking.

I do not call myself a "non smoker" as sometimes the "pangs", the very strong desire to have a fag happens.

Stay safe out there, happy landings...