Changing modes

Neddy

Our local flying club stipulate that you fly using mode 1 on your transmitter. I took the back off of my transmitter and all leads from the individual gimbals are the same colour codes and they just plug into my printed circuit board at different points. I guess all I would have to do to swap modes would be swap over two leads and plug them back into board at the appropriate plug.

IMG_20240214_103927_060.jpg

If you swapped the gimbal leads over what about the trim switches, they will still be in the current locations. Can you get a manual for your tx.

As an aside, this is the first time that I have heard of a club specifying what mode you must fly.

I think, think mind, it’s more a pupil trani on a mode and make not used/understood by the instuctors. And they suggest a trani they can grab, or bind to. 

ie, if you can’t fly it, or program it, how can you teach on it. Hope I’m wrong.

If its not designed to be changed between modes then I'd be very careful. Other functions such as rates, mixes, throttle cuts and potentially failsafe settings could stay with the original channels leading to potentially unexpected or even dangerous results. The manual should indicate whether it is mode changeable.

7 minutes ago, Jim Hearnden 1 said:

I have never heard of a club dictating Modes! Generally in the south most fly M2 & in the north fly M1

I suspect this is for training. But you can mix transmitter modes in training.

Where on earth do you get the idea that most in the North fly Mode 1?

2 hours ago, Neddy said:

IMG_20240214_103927_060.jpg

What the......... What transmitter is this to have to go through taking it apart and swapping wires about to change from mode 1 to mode 2....?,,, most transmitters I've ever seen only takes a simple spring and rachet swap between the elevator and throttle sticks and change from one mode to the other in the transmitter settings

Edited by GaryW

49 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

Where on earth do you get the idea that most in the North fly Mode 1?

From various model flying holidays, a straw poll of people there it definitely seemed to be the case. I know some countries tend to favour one over the other. 

All the Southerners I've flown with fly M2. 

6 minutes ago, Jim Hearnden 1 said:

From various model flying holidays, a straw poll of people there it definitely seemed to be the case. I know some countries tend to favour one over the other. 

All the Southerners I've flown with fly M2. 

Whereas the vast majority of those in the North that I've flown with fly Mode 2. Mode 1 flyers are very much in the minority.

25 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

Whereas the vast majority of those in the North that I've flown with fly Mode 2. Mode 1 flyers are very much in the minority.

I wonder if that is more recent with ARTFs coming as M2? My holiday was at Primrose Valley Haven site around 1990 with Chris ? (who organised the flying) he was Northern and a M1 flyer. I remember most of the Ghost Squadron guys were there as well. 

Back to the question... assuming that you do want to change the transmitter from Mode II to Mode I.

The manual for that E-Fly transmitter states "We offer Mode I and Mode II two types of transmitter for selection. Customers should choose one according to their individual needs". It doesn't mention anywhere that it can be converted from Mode I to Mode II or vice-versa.

However, if the gimbal pot. leads do simply plug into the board then swapping the elevator and throttle leads around, and making the right-hand stick ratchet and the left-hand stick spring return, should change the transmitter to mode I.

It's a very basic transmitter; trims are mechanical (part of the joystick assemblies) so won't be affected by moving the pot. wires around. There are no rate switches or adjustments so there's nothing to be affected there, and the reversing switches should still work in the correct sequence (AETR) as they are mounted on the main board (not in the wires to the pots). There is a simple mix available for V-tail models but that should also still work as it will be acting on the signals from the pots once they are on the circuit board. There is no throttle cut switch.

A couple of points though; in the photo of the transmitter (above) with the back removed, what presumably are the battery connections at the left-hand-side have had the connector removed and the wires soldered directly to the connector pins. These wires need to be insulated to avoid them ever being able to touch one another, which could cause a fire not to mention loss of control if it happened whilst flying.

Secondly, if you are using the original type of receiver as shown in the manual on page 8, it is stated that this receiver has a limited range of 1000 feet / 350m, and is "suitable for a small park flyer type of plane".

Also there is no mention in the manual of a failsafe, which is a safety feature that comes into play if there is a loss of signal to the receiver.

I think this radio is really only intended for the control of very basic models.

Here's the manual:

EFly ETB4 User-Manual-1006698.pdf

Brian.

A club stipulating a transmitter mode is just wrong!
You should fly whatever is comfortable for you, whatever that is it can be buddied to whatever your instructor uses.

Because my interest is in retro gear including Reeds, I'm equally comfortable with either, but my preference is mode 2, in fact quite a few if my transmitters have only one stick unit.  My point is that with minimal effort its possible to buddy widely disparate systems (including Reeds) 🙂

Edited by Phil Green
  • Like 2

Hi I am in Australia mode 1 is more favoured here. I did manage to change modes not by swapping  the wires I left the wires in their original position

The gimbals were simple to work on They actually can be split into two sections. It was only a matter of swapping sides with the throttle and elevator halves. I have tried it on the plane and had to reverse the throttle switch to get it going

Elevator and ailerons worked perfectly. I am only a learner so learning mode 1 suits me.

Like others, I am very surprised that a club would insist on a specific mode.....

I suspect that in this instance, due to the limitations of the transmitter, they're only able to instruct on mode 1 as they cannot buddy box, there being no other similar transmitters with the available instructors.

Options:

1. Mess around internally trying to change the mode

2. Get rid and get a mode 1 version

3. Get rid and buy kit that an instructor can buddy box on, irrespective if the pupils mode.

Personally, I favour option 3. as that tx is going to be outgrown pretty quickly. My caveat would  be that the op is already 'hooked' on our wonderful hobby.

In our club, on the NE coast, we have 3 (I think) mode 1 flyers - less than 10% of our members. I know 2 of these have buddy-boxed mode 2 pupils (and vice versa).

Edited by GrumpyGnome
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Jim Hearnden 1 said:

I have never heard of a club dictating Modes! Generally in the south most fly M2 & in the north fly M1

I suspect this is for training. But you can mix transmitter modes in training.

I do this all the time Neddy.

I am Mode 2 and all the other members of my club here in the middle of France, with one exception, are Mode 1. I regularly train Mode 1 beginners on the buddy box while I fly Mode 2. The important thing is that transmitters need to be able talk to one another. I fly Spektrum so my trainee needs to have a Spektrum transmitter. I have spare Mode 1 and Mode 2 Spektrum transmitters in case the beginner has not yet bought his own transmitter. The club has two more trainers which use Futaba master and slave transmitters.

It appears that your transmitter is one supplied with a plug'n'play model so unless your club has another transmitter of the same make it will difficult to link it to the instructor's transmitter. I'm assuming that your transmitter has a socket to take a buddy lead. Not all transmitters have such a facility.

You will need to change the ratchet to the r/h stick if you're converting it to Mode 1.

Does your club have its own trainer?

11 hours ago, Neddy said:

Our local flying club stipulate that you fly using mode 1 on your transmitter.

What do you mean?

Is the club actually dictating which Mode you have to fly on?

If that is the case, it is the most ludicrous order I have ever heard (and I have come across some highly ludicrous club rules in the past).  

Tell them to go a poke their eyes with a hot stick. 

• Haha 1

I think GG has probably identified the reason for this "rule" and it's largely about trying to make it so that the beginner has suitable equipment that can interface with his instructors, which is quite reasonable. Due to the kit the OP has, however, the implication seems to be that the club will only be able to instruct with Mode 1 equipment, as the OP's transmitter is not a mainstream brand and not suitable for buddy box use. 

• Like 1