Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

There is a bit of a problem.  I am having trouble recovering some of the construction pictures and then I have to modify the plans which I used as they are for the 42" span model for i.c..

I know that Kevin wants them but it may take a while.

I can say that it is 48" span and weighs 32 ounces. 

Great to hear Paul, 

You are enjoying it and your expectations have been met to compensate for being departed from your hard earned cash. 

203cm is a great size as far as I am concerned as I must admit, I can do with all the assistance possible to keep sight of the beggars when airborne and at a distance.

I have a couple of Seagull kits myself for when I get to a suitable level of flying competence but meanwhile keep my eye open for any feedback on Seagull as a manufacturer in general.

Happy flying.

Toto

Another very nice looking hi- wing. 

They certainly know how to pull your strings. Is it fair to say we can expect a build thread on this ..... and maybe even a maiden. :classic_biggrin:

A slightly smaller 1800mm wingspan but that is still reasonable in my book. My carbon cub is the smallest RTF kit at the moment but going forward I'll be taking care to try and get the larger wingspans where possible .... well .... I'm am getting on a bit and my peepers ain't getting better, that's for sure.

Thanks for posting the link up ..... another one book marked. :classic_biggrin:

Cheers

Toto

12 minutes ago, toto said:

Another very nice looking hi- wing. 

They certainly know how to pull your strings. Is it fair to say we can expect a build thread on this ..... and maybe even a maiden. :classic_biggrin:

A slightly smaller 1800mm wingspan but that is still reasonable in my book. My carbon cub is the smallest RTF kit at the moment but going forward I'll be taking care to try and get the larger wingspans where possible .... well .... I'm am getting on a bit and my peepers ain't getting better, that's for sure.

Thanks for posting the link up ..... another one book marked. :classic_biggrin:

Cheers

Toto

Was a while ago Toto, haven't bought any for a while, flying ? It's like all the Seagull ones I've owned, value for money.

Thread about it is here.

Thanks for the link.

Just had a quick fly through it ( forgive the pun ). I will read through again. Seems to have given you your fair share of grief with the wing horn attachment. Good to see it was o ercome though and the end result.t won through.

Cheers

Toto

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toto said:

but meanwhile keep my eye open for any feedback on Seagull as a manufacturer in general.

I've assembled two Boomerangs and had to replace all clevises, replace control horns, throw the under carriage in the bin and replace, repair holes in the rubbish covering and admire the amount of filler in the airframe. However they're a lot cheaper than buying a plan and balsa, quick to assemble on a dining table and they fly very well.

A bit of a let down really though. 

Dont think I be too impressed if I had to replace or patch the covering on a new model. As for replacing an undercarriage .... just bad bad bad. Imagine someone buying one as a first model, no experience of repairs / replacements etc .... it could ge enough to put them off altogether. They just see the shiny box with the promise of having them airborne in no time.

Toto

• Like 1

I have two Boomerangs, one converted to electric. I have had no problem with them and in fact used one for my A cert. I think they are super and ideal trainers, along with the ubiquitous WoT 4 Trainer (Uno?) which I also have in both power sources. Regrading u/c problems, nylon bolts will shear before removing fuselage structure. That said if they are subject to severe cold they go brittle and will break quite readily

Hi Paul- really nice looking model!  Looking forward to hearing how it flies. 

Coiuld you give us a bit more details on the power train, I can see that your engine is an XPWR 22cc, what battery size and capacity, ESC- are you using a UBEC?  And how does it fly with the power set-up?  Does the "22cc" imply that it's a 22cc equivalent, or?....

(I've my trusty old favourite .60 powered Aeromaster in the loft, as well, a Giant Jabberwok, which I want to convert to electric.)

Thanks for any info.

Hi Tosh, i am using a 6s 5000 lipo and 80A ESC, no ubec. the husky weighs 5,3 kg and the prop is a 16x8.

after 4 flights i have set my timer on 5.30 min. i have enough power for a nice climb and it flies a big looping. roll rate is pretty low🤪 nice lazy eights and stall turns.

the big 5inch wheels are perfect on this plane. I didn't used the flaps yet, you dont need them for landing. the next time a give it a try, it is a STOL plane.

greetz Paul

• Like 1

Refinish, rather than a completely new model, but here's my Parkzone F3F Wildcat, refinished as an 802 Squadron Martlet Mk 1, as operated in October 1940, so just qualifying as a legitimate Battle of Britain aeroplane, even though she probably never fired her guns in anger during the battle itself.

As an early Parkzone model the refinish was a bit challenging. I wish I'd put glasscloth over the alligator skin foam before repainting. It just looked worse with the airbrush and authentic Vallejo colours, despite the time spent masking the model for a three colour camo scheme, so in the end it was a case of B & Q acrylics instead. I'm fairly happy with the results from 2m away, or in the air.

Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown described the Martlet as the best shipborne fighter of her time and was very successful flying the type. True to form the model flies beautifully, on a 3s1p 1300mah pack, is very agile and manouverable, handled the wind at the weekend with no issues at all and really looks the part. Thanks to Derek for the pictures - the skies even obliged with a sort of October-ish 1940 greyness.

martlet6.thumb.jpg.e62c58dd7b954eb8c45fc3c6f00000d7.jpgmartlet4.thumb.jpg.83187f1368c9f8e53e0d6ad1e48065be.jpgmartlet5.thumb.jpg.d240bd2f0d40b2b1ca417dcc1141cf38.jpg

• Like 10

Very nice that. I like my Park Zone Wildcat [ later version with better finish] There are videos of Wildcats ditching after battle damage, it could be slowed right down and flop onto the sea with flotation bags giving the pilot time to escape. The model can be flopped onto the grass in the same way.

Brown ditched a Martlet inverted [Engine quit] while demonstrating the aircraft to the Prime minister He escaped with a broken arm. Churchill visited him in hospital " Bad luck my boy" he commented.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/04/2023 at 13:16, leccyflyer said:

Refinish, rather than a completely new model, but here's my Parkzone F3F Wildcat, refinished as an 802 Squadron Martlet Mk 1, as operated in October 1940, so just qualifying as a legitimate Battle of Britain aeroplane, even though she probably never fired her guns in anger during the battle itself.

As an early Parkzone model the refinish was a bit challenging. I wish I'd put glasscloth over the alligator skin foam before repainting. It just looked worse with the airbrush and authentic Vallejo colours, despite the time spent masking the model for a three colour camo scheme, so in the end it was a case of B & Q acrylics instead. I'm fairly happy with the results from 2m away, or in the air.

Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown described the Martlet as the best shipborne fighter of her time and was very successful flying the type. True to form the model flies beautifully, on a 3s1p 1300mah pack, is very agile and manouverable, handled the wind at the weekend with no issues at all and really looks the part. Thanks to Derek for the pictures - the skies even obliged with a sort of October-ish 1940 greyness.

martlet6.thumb.jpg.e62c58dd7b954eb8c45fc3c6f00000d7.jpgmartlet4.thumb.jpg.83187f1368c9f8e53e0d6ad1e48065be.jpgmartlet5.thumb.jpg.d240bd2f0d40b2b1ca417dcc1141cf38.jpg

I like gullwings - both upright or inverted. So when I browsed through my old Model Airplane News  magazines looking for inspiration I found "Gamma Gull" in the Jan. 1986 issue (also now on outerzone). I made my own plans based on those construction drawings and added ailerons and electric power (Graupner Compact 300 z) . It spans about 1.7 meters, is built from balsa and is covered with Oracover and HK film. Had its maiden flight  yesterday  - very satisfying, only needed some more downthrust.

Karl

20230430_151738.jpg

20230430_151934.jpg

20230430_151402.jpg

20230430_151422.jpg

• Like 10