Electric Cars.

Cuban8

Yesterday we travelled about 60 miles to the rented cottage where we’re staying for the next few days on hols. I’ve brought the eBikes so they were sitting on the towbar carrier for the journey here. Previously, with the Toyota, I noticed that the fuel consumption when carrying the eBikes dropped by 8 - 10 mpg, which I put down to extra weight (obvs) and aerodynamics but this journey in the Ioniq showed not much of a change. If I was being super critical I would say that it was down by 0.1 miles/kWh (4 ish mpg). Not that it’s a problem on hols as a) we only use the eBikes whilst we’re here and b) the cottage has an EV charger which is free to use so we now have a fully charged pack!

Edited by Ron Gray

Advert

54 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

Yesterday we travelled about 60 miles to the rented cottage where we’re staying for the next few days on hols. I’ve brought the eBikes so they were sitting on the towbar carrier for the journey here. Previously, with the Toyota, I noticed that the fuel consumption when carrying the eBikes dropped by 8 - 10 mpg, which I put down to extra weight (obvs) and aerodynamics but this journey in the Ioniq showed not much of a change. If I was being super critical I would say that it was down by 0.1 miles/kWh (4 ish mpg). Not that it’s a problem on hols as a) we only use the eBikes whilst we’re here and b) the cottage has an EV charger which is free to use so we now have a fully charged pack!

Probably more to the changes between the vehicle aerodynamics with the bikes than the different propulsion, the bikes affected the drag of the Toyota far more than your current EV.

• Like 1

Just back from our EV tour of Bucks, Kent and Oxfordshire. Around 800 miles covered with the longest legs being out(150m) and back(163m) and the Born never missed a beat. On those longer journeys the car averaged 4.6m/kWh at motorway speeds so easily 240 to 260 mile range if pushed. I know we can all get a bit hung up on EV range, but the longest journeys in terms of time/distance covered where the two trips around the M25. My first time on it in over ten years, hated it then and loath it now! I pity the poor souls using it every day.

Rapid charged once on the way down when we stopped for a comfort break at Moto Rugby. Did not need to but old 30kWh Leaf habits die hard and half the chargers were not being used mid morning!  Second time was at a pub near Hastings for an evening meal on our way back from visiting Rye and Dungeness. The pub had three new rapid 75kW chargers all of which were available on arrival. Rest of the time we used the fast chargers at the properties we stayed at to charge overnight, dead easy and no stress.

A bit of planning beforehand using Zap Map to find accommodation with chargers makes EV touring no different to when we had an ICE car. 

First ever visit to Kent and really liked it, especially the frequent flypasts over our holiday cottage of Spitfires and Tiger Moths which I'm guessing were doing air experience flights from Biggin Hill(?). 

idd

London Hopper Hut Charging.jpg

Mollies Motel Oxford.jpg

RH&D Railway 1.JPG

Tiger Moth Sissinghurst Kent.JPG

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, IDD15 said:

A bit of planning beforehand using Zap Map to find accommodation with chargers makes EV touring no different to when we had an ICE car. 

That is one of my big problems with electric range - you seem to have to build your plans around the car's requirements not yours.

A couple of hotels we use regularly don't have any public chargers within 18 miles according to Zap Map (we like more remote places), and we rarely stop at motorway type service stations on a journey but turn off for a packed lunch with a view or use country pubs or National Trust properties where I have never seen any chargers.

I know it will change with time and I would love an electric car (had some test drives recently) but can't make it work for me, so I have just replaced my 12 year old diesel with a newer second-hand one in the hope that range and charging infrastructure will have improved in a few years time.

Dick

ps A salesman at a main dealer while showing me a car with a WLTP range of 360 miles expressed doubt when I asked if it would reliably do a 260mile round trip at motorway speeds at any time of the year (my minimum ask) - perhaps he was wrong?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

National Trust properties are getting charging points (some already have them)

https://transportandenergy.com/2023/04/17/raw-charging-to-deliver-ev-charging-across-national-trust-sites/

At least one local National Trust property has had charging points for a number of years. They were 7 Kw chargers and were free to use. Then the price of electricity (and presumably the number of EVs using them) increased and they were "unavailable". I think they may have been removed a while ago, presumably they were costing too much to run.

The NT property at Wimpole Farm (Cambridgeshire) has about eight, maybe more, chargers which were, maybe still are, free to use.  We used one a few months back.  However, we visited again during some of the hot weather we had in June and they were all out of action.  When I enquired at the reception area as we went in the very - disinterested - person replied that she thought that it was because "it was too hot"!!

When our forefathers were transitioning from horses to petrol engines they probably had similar dilemmas as folk do these days about electric cars 

I wonder if they agonised over the lack of petrol stations and thought they they could park a horse on any old verge and let it fill up and not have to find a petrol station that were very rare at the time.

They probably agonised that horses didn't self combust in a ball of flames like petrol cars!

Just a thought.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Outrunner said:

When our forefathers were transitioning from horses to petrol engines they probably had similar dilemmas as folk do these days about electric cars 

I wonder if they agonised over the lack of petrol stations and thought they they could park a horse on any old verge and let it fill up and not have to find a petrol station that were very rare at the time.

They probably agonised that horses didn't self combust in a ball of flames like petrol cars!

Just a thought.

The thing with horses is you have to look after them and fuel them every day. You can not just park them up. Recon it's horses for courses.😁

Arrrrr, but when dun with, nice curry.

Also on an educational note, Napoleon, on his invasion of Russia, planned to do the job when oats were available for the dobbins, by plunder. Wet seasion, no oats , and his army was short of dobbins. Makes range anxiety pale to nowt.

Edited by Don Fry
History
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Outrunner said:

Just a thought.

Afford a car, send a lacky to find some, while you get down the pub. Simples.