Winter is here....who's been flying?

• 3 weeks later...

New year, right side of the solace and even the sun came out for a bit after dog walking in the dark...High speed ground hugging LED collars on the Collies full random direction mode and boy can they cover some ground!

image.thumb.png.8f711e01b08b6764df8a531802b5035b.png

Two flights with the Versa and one with the Woohoo as a starter for this year as a good start.

Forecast for tomorrow looks quite promising so might try something with wheels. 

Still suffering from a heavy cold, so have been pretty much grounded over the holidays - but did have a few flights with my wee Volantrex Bf109E and Sonik Spitfire over the garden and field yesterday, just to get one last flight for 2022.  It's been a decent year for flying, more active than the previous few years and hoping to do loads more in 2023, but foggy and wet here this morning so little chance of a New Year's Day flight.

• Like 1

Four of us at the field yesterday, no wind , zero degrees, and ground hard frozen so no muddy boots. Flew the free flight  pterosaurus  I got for Christmas, so well that it twice went over the hedge on to the boundary track  and  had to be recovered quick before a car appeared. Good fun then for afters the Volantex F16 Falcon

• Like 2

Hi John, another good report of the Aldi pteranodon free flight flying wing.

Not had any chance to try mine yet, windy and raining all day apart from 20 minutes of sunshine today.

3 modes, is one mode as a chuck glider ?

Is a standard sized football pitch a big enough area to fly it may I ask ?

The pitch is surrounded on 3 sides by 30foot trees...

Edited by Rich Griff

2 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

Hi John, another good report of the Aldi pteranodon free flight flying wing.

Not had any chance to try mine yet, windy and raining all day apart from 20 minutes of sunshine today.

3 modes, is one mode as a chuck glider ?

Is a standard sized football pitch a big enough area to fly it may I ask ?

The pitch is surrounded on 3 sides by 30foot trees...

It says three modes on the box, nothing in the info slip, have you found any thing?  First press red light on, second press motor starts, perhaps another press immediately might go into next mode?  don't think so.   Motor run ends with a reduced power phase  for a few secs, perhaps to allow gentle landing.

It is surprisingly stable, settles ten feet up and usually heads in a straight line, lands about a hundred yards away(dead calm)-----got a lot of walking

Thanks for that...

Eventually I visited the manufacturers ( ? ) Website and found some info there.

Press, red light comes on, press again, approx 6 second at hi speed then about same slow speed. However press twice quite quickly approx 9 second hi speed then 5 seconds at low speed...

Tried pressing 3 times quickly, same timed run. So may be mode 1 is a chuck glider ?

Still mulling over head rubber band fixing method. Loop thru head and band, then long tail over the circular bit ?

Hoping sunny dry and flat calm tomorrow for a test flight. Football pitch should be long enough for 100 yard straight and level flight ?

How long is a football pitch ?

Will take ninja helo, some more chuck gliders, rubber powered free flight stick and the 2 Lidl drones, the mini one and last year's larger one.

Please God some good weather, pretty please...😇

Getting really p'd off with poor weather.

A football pitch is about 100 yards .........

Planes currently charging, for first session of the year:

• Riot
  • Double Trouble
  • Ruckus (how did I acquire so many Century UK planes.....?)
  • Valiant
  • Arrows Hawk
  • Thunderbolt - finish running in the engine enough to trust it in the air next time.

14 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

Thanks for that...

Eventually I visited the manufacturers ( ? ) Website and found some info there.

Press, red light comes on, press again, approx 6 second at hi speed then about same slow speed. However press twice quite quickly approx 9 second hi speed then 5 seconds at low speed...

Tried pressing 3 times quickly, same timed run. So may be mode 1 is a chuck glider ?

Still mulling over head rubber band fixing method. Loop thru head and band, then long tail over the circular bit ?

Hoping sunny dry and flat calm tomorrow for a test flight. Football pitch should be long enough for 100 yard straight and level flight ?

How long is a football pitch ?

Will take ninja helo, some more chuck gliders, rubber powered free flight stick and the 2 Lidl drones, the mini one and last year's larger one.

Please God some good weather, pretty please...😇

Getting really p'd off with poor weather.

I stretch a rubber  band over the beak then back over the peg, firm enough for flight, made obviously to be knock off

Lovely morning on North East coast - sunny but cold, gettinv breezier later.

* Ruckus maidened successfully - I was a little worried it may be underpowered by the TT54FS but far from it..

* Double Trouble auccessfully flown after repairs needed from a sack of cat food falling on it

* Valiant went as well as ever

* Riot unflown

* Hawk's batteries all seem goosed 😞

* Thundebolt engine now run in enough - I probably woukd have flown it if I'd taken the canopy to the field.

Nice weather, nice flying, good company. Home to watch BoB again!

20230102_112630.thumb.jpg.67a2ea2be86cdda5e8d475f4e8fac67d.jpg

Good flying weather from 10:00 to when I left in the afternoon after loads for flying. Found the reason why the Versa kept meeting the ground...previously changed RX and ESC. After sitting it on the bench and trying to wear the gimbals out on my TX and after about a full minute....one aileron/elevator servo paused for a couple of seconds. Only spotted it as I can see both going up and down together until one pauses. Got it to do its a couple of times again after that although it still took a lot of stick wiggling.

Rest of the flying was uneventful for me.

image.thumb.png.0774452d49b3fd16cd0d2e3e8c105459.png

Managed to get out today.

For the last 3 days the forecast for this morning was perfect.

3-5 mph straight down the strip.

Filled the van with models and just before I set off checked the forecast again m7 gusting 23.

Well it wasn't outside my house ! (the field is 2 miles away).

By the time I got to the field it was a little blowy, but flyable.

Put an aeroplane into the skies and guess what ?

It was like a funfair ride up there with very lumpy bits of (cold) air which couldn't make their minds up which way they wanted to go.

After about 3 minutes and with eyes now watering because of the wind I decided to land using almost full throttle !

Never mind. I had done it. First flight of 2023 and the model going home in one piece.

Great !!!

Got home. took the model out of the van, caught it on the door and knocked the tail off.           "**!!!***".

• Sad 1

I went out this morning at 11 am 2 others braved the cold breeze. They were just packing up as the turbulence was bad, as I was there I decided to have a flight with my foam board Westland Whirlwind. Strong wind very little turbulence and two good flights, the cold wind won the day and I packed in.

10 at a time is more than 30% of our membership 🙂.

When I got in yesterday, my wife asked how many were there and said "gosh, busy then!" when I told her 4 of us were there at once....... for the vast majority of the 5 hours, there were only 2 of us! 

I expect there'll be more at our indoor session this afternoon......

• Like 1