Winter is here....who's been flying?

We are not far apart with me being in North Lincs. Bridlington was a day trip either with the family or sea fishing on a cobble boat with Dad, some 60 years ago. Obviously as you send the cold north wind to us it is the same wind, a lazy wind as my Dad calls it because it goes straight through rather than around. In the shade here the frost has gradually built up.

• Like 1

Just started snowing here a few minutes ago- that wasn't forecast. Yesterday was the first decent flying day for ages and expected it to at least be flyable today. If it's calm, but cold that's not too bad -it can be quite pleasant, but add even a 5mph wind and the urge to go flying tends to disappear - 10mph, blustery wind and damp makes the workshop look more enticing than the field. Roll on spring!

Had a nice couple of hours out yesterday lunchtime - it had warmed up to -1!

Ground was rock solid, and our normally beautifully smooth runway felt like a ploughed field!  Had a dozen or so flights on the Double Trouble until the hammering got the better of the undercarriage and I lost an axle, stopping the fun.  Don't understand why solid ground can make such a mess......

20230122_141050.thumb.jpg.12680200a2d1c5a93d17eeefd00e31c8.jpg

Edited by GrumpyGnome
  • Like 1

Flew my BT P47 for the first time this year at the weekend with beautiful weather at our patch. Despite the cold the Laser 180 was thriving on the conditions and gave me it’s absolute best.  However the only slightly thawing permafrost played havoc with monumental frozen worm-casts sporting to nose her over both  on take offs  and landings. Despite touchdowns being as gentle as possible they were still brutal on the uc/retracts. As per G Gnome the clean up was afterwards was also significant.  Two flights and I retired whilst still ahead, so to speak. Roll on spring.

Fantastic flying weather today, blue skies, hardly a cloud up there- save some very high cirrus and a few lenticular clouds later in the day , warm sunshine -12 degrees  and dead flat calm. Good company and very enjoyable flying for the first  outing of the year to my old club site.

jungmeister24jan2023-11.thumb.jpg.0e0b79b43ffca738ff08b94178c0e062.jpg

Flew Parkzone and EFlite Spitfires, EFlite Dallas Doll P-51 Mustang, PZ FW190 and the wee Volantrex/Soink Bf109e and Spitfire - all went well and no damage done, which was great news for rusty thumbs.

Lovely to see my pal Jim's scratch built Bucker Jungmeister all repaired and resplendent in a new Austrian civil scheme - beautiful. 😎

jungmeister24jan2023-2.thumb.jpg.9050d34e67e9d867ae7683ac3ff94ad0.jpgjungmeister24jan2023-10.thumb.jpg.2e03431d96b8bc07c80cb018c0b0b7b5.jpgjungmeister24jan2023-3.thumb.jpg.8b1ea33373f9498b775775566cfcd2b7.jpg

• Like 2

Good day all in all. 

Slight damage on Ruckus - undercarriage has/had minimal support and really needs beefing up for grass strips; DT just gets better and better - like a nice noisy version of the Wots Wot foamy....; Crack Yak Superlite is just amazing indoors; my little TY Black Flyer is just charming.....

Deffo a good day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrumpyGnome said:

How can the wind chznge from <5mph to 15+ in the time it takes to drink a coffee? Grrrrrr

It does that often on our field, from a calm morning it turned blustery mid flight yesterday and as I only had light weights I wrapped in had a chat with the other members then went to load the car and the wind dropped again. As the field is very muddy at the entrance I did not want to struggle through it again as sods law the wind would have picked up again. It remained calm for the rest of the afternoon.