CAA registration take-up?

Frank Skilbeck

Just wondered how many fliers are flying without CAA registration etc. I say this because while we are all aware of the new requirements we recently gave a young aviation mad lad a couple of models to outfit and bring back to the club for testing. A 2 channel glider and IC trainer, he rang me up to tell me he'd flown the glider when he was out with his drone mates, I asked him if he'd registered (like we mentioned to him when he picked the models up), he said no and none of his mates were aware of the regulations so hadn't registered anyway.

He's going to have to get his Dad, a non-flyer, to register as an operator with the CAA and he's going t join the BMFA as a junior. But how many other teenage drone fliers are out there, blissfully unaware of the recent regulations, seems like the publicity has passed them over.

Ironically this young lad is also in the Air Cadets and has been having full size glider lessons (yes he's plane obsessed), so the CAA drone awareness only seems to be working with those in the know, is that their target?

Advert

Recently, whilst being 'chaperoned' by my CEO around a certain major 'Penny Bazaar' high street/mall shop. I noticed a pile of quad copters for sale (£25-00).

Picking a box up, I flipped it over to read the smallish print on the back. Whilst the text did say not to fly near airports and a few other cautionary points, it hardly leapt out to me and, dare I say, would it to an eager youngster who just rips open the carton on the 25th!

There have been mentions on the BBC (tv), the BBC web site, Facebook (and I assume other social platforms) and many shops have POS leaflets. The issue has been highlighted in newspaper and tv articles over the last few months too. The problem is that a good many people seem to walk around in their own little self-contained worlds. Even members of my own club seem to have missed out on the furore of the last year and are only vaguely aware that this new requirement exists.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there aren't vast swathes of people (drone fliers included) who know nothing of the CAA, BMFA or any regulations. As Bob Cotsford said above, many people seem to walk around in their own self-conatined little worlds these days - headphones on, or glued to their smartphones.

This was bought home to me on the local TV news recently when a university lecturer was being interviewed about the varying interest of her students with politics (in relation to recent events). She said they varied, from those who were interested and active, to those who apparently said "What's a general election?", when she tried to engage them on the subject. And she instisted she wasn't joking!

Edited By EvilC57 on 14/12/2019 16:23:25

Posted by Steve J on 14/12/2019 19:01:38:
Posted by Gary Manuel on 14/12/2019 16:03:47:
Posted by Steve J on 14/12/2019 13:59:32:
Posted by Gary Manuel on 14/12/2019 13:34:21:

How do you know Steve?

Somebody did an FoI request and published the results.

Interesting to see how it is after a full year.

The number in March would be interesting as it would include the people who have registered via the associations.

Anyway, it's looking like the associations members are very much a minority of drone and model aircraft flyers .

Bet it’s not 170,000 as the CAA originally thought though frown.

Last night I was chatting to a friend who is 87 and flies free flight. He has never flown R/C or used a computer. He mentioned that something he had read something in Aeromodeller which would mean he is now grounded. I thought I would check what the required test consists of, but when I had a look at the CAA site, I would have had to enter name address etc.

Can anyone enlighten me what a non-computer using free flighter and BMFA member will have to do to be able to fly models over 250 grams?

Posted by Robin Colbourne on 15/12/2019 00:41:41:

Last night I was chatting to a friend who is 87 and flies free flight. He has never flown R/C or used a computer. He mentioned that something he had read something in Aeromodeller which would mean he is now grounded. I thought I would check what the required test consists of, but when I had a look at the CAA site, I would have had to enter name address etc.

Can anyone enlighten me what a non-computer using free flighter and BMFA member will have to do to be able to fly models over 250 grams?

Do you mean non-BMFA member?  If he's a member then he can take the RCC test and register as an operator through them.

Can't you just help him take the test on your computer?

Failing this, I would contact:

Drone and Model Aircraft Registration Team
[email protected]
Telephone: 0330 022 9930
Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm

...and ask them about the offline testing and registration option that they have stated "will" exist.

Edited By Martin Harris on 15/12/2019 01:16:53

Posted by Robin Colbourne on 15/12/2019 00:41:41:

In the BMFA News that he should have received last week its all covered.

Paper version of the test, all the info meeded to answer the questions and fetails on submitting answers by phone or post.

Posted by Scott Edwards 2 on 15/12/2019 10:30:33:

Like most clubs, we have some 'senior' members. You can do the BMFA test and upload the certificate on their behalf. I've done several now. I'm sure I will get criticised, but it solves the problem and I have no guilt about treating this ridiculous legislation with the contempt it deserves.

Hmmm, what was stopping you from merely helping the senior members do the test themselves and then providing their certificate on their behalf, rather than just doing it yourself? In the highly unlikely event of an incident involving any of those members you've just made a public declaration that you've deliberately circumvented the very simple and easy process to enable everyone to remain legal.