CAA ID number discussion

SIMON CRAGG

Flying drones or model aircraft

Always check that anyone who flies your drone or model aircraft has a valid flyer ID.

If you’ll fly a drone or model aircraft yourself, you’ll need a flyer ID. You may be asked to show your flyer ID or operator ID to a police officer or other official.

I got mine at 13.49 this afternoon , no mention of the general exemption ??

cheers

I

Mine arrived at 11:44 today, and also has no mention of the exemption in the paragraph about Flyer IDs, even though I qualify for it. I guess Doris and her mates (from page 2!) must be randomly sending two different versions of the email...

Most of us who qualify for the Flyer ID exemption will already know about it, so it's not too much of an issue. But it hardly inspires confidence in the CAA that they actually halted the issue of IDs to correct the error in the email, yet afterwards still managed to send out the wrong version to some of us.

Meanwhile my Vectis card arrived today too, so that's good.

Folks, just a reminder that using ****** to hide poor language isn’t allowed on this forum. So doing gains the poster an immediate stage 1 warning. If you’re new or relatively new to the forum then please take the time to check the Code or Conduct.

The CAA/DOFT threads are generating a steady string of warnings and, in some cases, forum expulsions (for those already on a stage 1). We do this quietly in the background so don’t make the mistake of assuming this site is unmoderated just because you don’t see warnings given in public.

I doubt the story ends here and we've still to see many twists and turns in the saga, but the forum COC still stands and applies to all members, no matter how long they've been using this site. 

With thanks, David. 

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 22/02/2020 06:43:16

Here’s a good one

Mrs C and I both fly in the same club. Mrs C has NO A cert and has a flier ID as a result.

I have a B cert and on the portal it clearly show I am CAA registered.

So in who’s name is the operator ID in?? Yep the wife’s............work that one outsurprise

Posted by i12fly on 21/02/2020 22:36:27:

My OP came through at 19.33 hrs, must be on overtime.....

Like Peter Jenkins above, it has got the "making use of a CAA general exemption" clause, so it looks like they caught up this afternoon.

The last of my "no-email" members has just received their notification via the club email account. Dated Saturday 22 Feb at 08:46. Are we sure Doris and her mates aren't behind this? And working w/end overtime?

And his does mention the CAA general exception. As did another one that came via the club yeseterday at 6pm. But not the third one (arrived Monday) or mine (yesterday morning.) Ho hum...

Posted by Kevin 216 on 22/02/2020 11:04:43:
Posted by Dickw on 22/02/2020 10:52:12:
Posted by Doug Campbell on 22/02/2020 10:00:59:

Mine has still not arrived. That is two deadlines missed. I know I dont need it and not worried about it, I must admit to some annoyance over the matter. I have been mislead by the BMFA and CAA who also have not been totally honest with me.

I don't think anyone is trying to mislead you. Latest update here.

Dick

Apparently we should have our number by Monday - I think I just saw a pink pig fly past my living room window!

I think there is every chance you will have it, we are getting lots of the emails for those members who don't have an email address through in to the office (we have a system where we receive their email) the DMARES team are working on it over the weekend and the rate they are coming through I suspect they will be done unless they have a technical issue of some sort.

As one of the committee that can update info for members on the portal, I can't find anywhere to record members OP numbers. We have recorded these on our mebership database at the moment for internal reference. As most of our members registered through the BMFA I thought there might be someway to do this.

John

Posted by John Tee on 22/02/2020 12:28:48:

As one of the committee that can update info for members on the portal, I can't find anywhere to record members OP numbers. We have recorded these on our mebership database at the moment for internal reference. As most of our members registered through the BMFA I thought there might be someway to do this.

John

From the BMFA news update dated 19th Feb

"Once we receive the uploaded data back from the CAA, our plan is to update members records in GoMembership to include their CAA Operator number which will also be incorporated onto the electronic membership document. "

Full text of update here.

Dick

For all but my few fancier models, I shall just write the number on - 'permanent marker' comes off with simple solvents. For the fancy ones I shall put the number on a sticky label, one inside and one outside (under the tail) That way I am covered if the outer one falls off.

The intent is to make ident of legitimate operation easy, not to be picky about little details - police are not going to nit pick unless a modeller is being unduly difficult with them. If you do want to play hardball, make sure you have every base covered first - and remember, there is always another law the police can find if you really push them!

Edited By John Bisset on 22/02/2020 16:49:27

Edited By John Bisset on 22/02/2020 16:49:45

Posted by ken anderson. on 22/02/2020 15:54:09:

hello ken, I'll be printing mine on my pc/printer. Then mounting inside the model/s with a bit of good quality clear tape, bearing in mind that they are supposedly going to be re-issued/changed every 12 months.

Can someone please explain to me why our OP number should change every 12 months? I still have the same CAA professional pilots licence number I was issued with 44 years ago and my driving licence number, even longer.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 22/02/2020 17:30:30

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 22/02/2020 17:29:30:
Posted by ken anderson. on 22/02/2020 15:54:09:

hello ken, I'll be printing mine on my pc/printer. Then mounting inside the model/s with a bit of good quality clear tape, bearing in mind that they are supposedly going to be re-issued/changed every 12 months.

Can someone please explain to me why our OP number should change every 12 months? I still have the same CAA professional pilots licence number I was issued with 44 years ago and my driving licence number, even longer.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 22/02/2020 17:30:30

Will most likely change at first renewal but stay the same after that.

Wouldn't it have saved so much time and our money if the CAA had said just put your BMFA number on as ID. Then in the rare event they find a drone that strayed they could just have phoned up the BMFA and ask who the owner was! Probably a couple of phone calls a year!