Insanity seems to be setting in

Peter Miller

Advert

I work for a firm that supplies oranges and satsumas to supermarkets and demand has gone through the roof. We have even been approached by supermarkets we do not deal with to to see if we can supply.

What I want to know is who on earth is stockpiling oranges? and why, they wont keep that long anyway!

Common sense seems to have deserted us.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 21/03/2020 09:15:28

Bizarre Cliff.

People seem to take more notice about postings on their FB profile and getting anxiety over the result than listening to a NHS nutrition expert about eating 5 portions of fruit and veg.....(which they should have been doing for years, rather than binge now)

Edited By cymaz on 21/03/2020 09:24:09

Posted by Cliff Bastow on 21/03/2020 09:15:02:

I work for a firm that supplies oranges and satsumas to supermarkets and demand has gone through the roof. We have even been approached by supermarkets we do not deal with to to see if we can supply.

What I want to know is who on earth is stockpiling oranges? and why, they wont keep that long anyway!

Common sense seems to have deserted us.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 21/03/2020 09:15:28

Marmalade ?

Non of this 'stock piling' will feel strange when you are prohibited from going outside your front door by an overzealous official.

People with cats but without gardens need cat litter and if they are prevented from going out to buy some when they need it they will have a problem. How many sacks of cat litter do you think your average supermarket stock? I doubt it will be high on the list of priorities for replenishment at the supermarket.

Oranges and satsumas are rich in vitamin C. Vitamin C supports the immune system. People will be eating more of these items...seems obvious to me.....

Seemed to be normal stocks of oranges and other fruits in ASDA yesterday morning. TBH, there seemed to be little sign of hysteria - people keeping a reasonable distance apart and plenty with small packs of toilet paper in their baskets while larger ones were on the shelves. The only normal food that was totally out of stock was eggs although choice of pasta [yuk] hand wash and washing up liquid were limited.

Funny you said about eggs.......... Cant get any in our village, even been to cash and carry none there either.

Some of the shelves at the C&C, mainly rice patsa , stripped bare. On the way in people struggling with more than 1 trolley piled high, falling off in car park. How b####y stupid.

Barry

Can decide if this thing is saving or destroying my sanity. Restoration, changing to electric, and grafting a hi-bred Multiplex Spektrum radio system in. Built in Berlin, 1978 to 1980 by Steve White, a future commander of 4th Tank. Svenson kit, much modified, taking an age. Way out of my league.

img_0900.jpg

img_0901.jpg

img_0902.jpg

Watching George Eustice this afternoon he was reluctant to say wether or not rationing would be introduced, leaving the supermarkets to do the rationing.

If we all don’t behave , we’ve got only ourselves to blame if it comes to government intervention

Whilst there may be a few people who buy excessive amounts the problem is likely to be that if people don't eat at works canteen, school meals, or meals at restaurant then the requirement is for food for the home from supermarkets to replace those meals,  which otherwise would have been supplied by wholesalers direct to canteens, restaurants etc. Hence reason for extra demand from supermarkets just to meet genuine weeks requirements. If nobody diverted the food that normally went direct to restaurants etc to the supermarkets of course there would be empty shelves!

Edited By kc on 21/03/2020 17:56:59

Edited By kc on 21/03/2020 18:08:17

Some will not behave lads, some are greedy during good times, staff are being placed in impossible situations. If you don't go out and grab it all, you're sat thinking you're letting your family down, houses near me have had van loads repeatedly via the tinternet, old lady down the road at her wits end, shameful. Stayed as normal our family, like the vast majority out there. When is someone gonna stomp on these greedy rats ?

At the same time as other measures profiteering should have been taxed at say 150percent, so the chap who made a profit of £3000 in an afternoon selling selling toilet rolls ( featured in Daily Mirror ) should have had a tax bill of £4500 slapped on him by now to deter him and others. Won't stop it but might put him in his place and convince us the Gov is doing it's job.

Edited By kc on 21/03/2020 18:06:27

Many companies and Individuals out there, GIVING, lots of them are surprising names to some of us, I've been taken aback by some of the names.

Stories aplenty out there, which are true ? Tales of some well placed dumping shares BEFORE government announces XYZ measures, don't understand why it hasn't been suspended myself.

Short selling has been prohibited at the moment.

Selling shares in a panic or belief that government policy will devalue the share, would I think in most instances result in a poor price.

In times like this, there are less certainties, to the extent I am hoping to get a debit card issue sorted on Monday, to place an order for next weeks food. Hmm, perhaps i should at least double thatcrook. No, I will stick to a week and hope that the local fish and chip shop, Chinese take away, may be Macdonald take away stay open, if we become desperate.