Anyone still using a balsa stripper?

I used to use a Kavan balsa stripper but was converted to the Avicraft version a few years back. A different concept but easy to set up and use with no jamming as the blade is set with a 2 degree run-out. Takes standard scalpel blades.

Available on Ebay under 'acrylic balsa stripper' or through J Perkins.

Pete

I used my Master Airscrew stripper yesterday to cut some very firm 1/4 square strips. I prefer it to the SLEC one that I found rather awkward to use given its size when I tried one out that a friend has. The MA being more compact gives better control and having a universal adjustment also works better for me. No right or wrong, whichever one prefers.

I have a need for some balsa strips, and I have a balsa plank that has been in my loft for around 20yrs. It is an offcut from wood used to build theatrical sets. The plank is about a metre long, 100mm wide, is bowed in both length and width and varies in thickness from around 6mm at the ends to around 12mm in the middle.

I have 3D printed a balsa stripper and will soon set forth on a stripping andventure, trying to produce a variation of balsa strips... just as soon as I work out how to start on a 6-12mm sheet with a stripper that can manage 6-7mm thickness.

Some of the strips will be used as longerons and tips for a vintage model, the wood will be steamed to get it to bend (another adventure for me).

I still have one but have not used it in ages as its only any good on very thin stuff ,anything thicker and it didn't cut square. The last small models I built , a Frog 45 and a Auster both for Frog 1.5 power and 2 ch radio I used a straight edge and a scalpel .Any strips I need I now use my trusty band-saw .

Slec and Master Airscrew and a home made one that a pal made me - The home made one mounts to a Black and Decker Work Mate Bench. Its metal channel and blade. Very good. The Slec would have been my favourite until the home made one was given me. The wood pushes through it. I just realised I don't know where it is or I'd have photo'd it. Locked down at the house and it might be at the store.

I did get a couple of Perspex CNC cut ones off eBay, I have not found them very good. Not compared to the Slec one any how.

Steve

What's needed is a stripper to produce angled cuts for trailing edge. The SLEC one can be used for angled cuts by having a another baseboard on the opposite side of the channel strip which can be adjusted to the angle with wedges.