Flying through covid !

Advert

THis afternoon was flat calm so I took my Eflite Aeronca Champion into the lane in front of my house and took it off and then stood in my car entrance for two five minute flights. landing it at my feet both times..

The odd passerby was interested just as they passed and one lady with her daughter and about three dogs made the usual comment "boys with their toys!"

But at least her dogs were polite and decidedly more intelligent.disgust

Edited By Peter Miller on 03/05/2020 18:47:19

Posted by Peter Miller on 03/05/2020 18:41:11:

THis afternoon was flat calm so I took my Eflite Aeronca Champion into the lane in front of my house and took it off and then stood in my car entrance for two five minute flights. landing it at my feet both times..

The odd passerby was interested just as they passed and one lady with her daughter and about three dogs made the usual comment "boys with their toys!"

I bet you're waiting for the criticism of flying through the lock down aren't you Peter?

None from me, but maybe best not broadcasting it - dog's only bark for attention.

Unfortunately the lane in front of our house is unsurfaced and full of pot holes (which suits me as it keeps traffic speeds down). It also carries quite a lot of traffic considering it's a Restricted Byway but the vast majoriy is people (mostly young women) going to the farm near its practical end to play with their horses (much like we play with our aeroplanes, I suppose )

There are also houses for the first 100/150 or so metres so I can't fly whilst standing in my drive.

Geoff

Posted by Gary Manuel on 03/05/2020 19:45:59:
Posted by Peter Miller on 03/05/2020 18:41:11:

I bet you're waiting for the criticism of flying through the lock down aren't you Peter?

None from me, but maybe best not broadcasting it - dog's only bark for attention.

No, I am allowed into the road to take excercise, even if that excercise is only two or three steps.

I am allowed to do things in my own garden including standing looking out across the countryside

What have I done wrong???

• 1 month later...

Dear All

If anyone doubts the seriousness of Covid, I’ve just been told we have had it in the family !

Our daughter Kate was required to have a blood test for Covid 19 prior to her beginning at new job at a Wiltshire hospital.

She was unwell with a temperature and cough in January ( as was Jo and I ). She came down in February for a day visit.

The blood test shows that she has had the virus.

What may be a cough for a fit young lady is a killer for an over 70 with underlying health problems.

Sobering thought.

• 4 months later...

I've had a quick look at the new guidance for the forthcoming national lockdown and can't see any clear information relating to the exemption for covid-19 compliant sporting activity. I expect that the BMFA will update us with their advice after the weekend but does the panel think model flying can continue for the next 4 weeks after Wednesday - and if so, how responsible is it to do so?

Martin, the only thing I can see is that you can travel (no distance mentioned so far) for recreation and meet one other person not from your household. As we have to use a spotter when flying as we share a full size strip, I am wondering if that will allow us to continue on the basis of 2 people, socially distanced of course, being able to fly together with one being the spotter. As you say, we will have to wait until more details appear and whether Parliament will want to make any changes to the proposed legislation.

The most detailed advice so far on gov.uk does not answer things exactly but it does not sound good.

From that website

To reduce social contact, the Government has ordered certain businesses and venues to close. These include:

• indoor and outdoor leisure facilities such as bowling alleys, leisure centres and gyms, sports facilities including swimming pools, golf courses and driving ranges, dance studios, stables and riding centres, soft play facilities, climbing walls and climbing centres, archery and shooting ranges, water and theme parks,

The detail at this stage can not be expected to cover each and every case, however, the intent to close organised outdoor sport / recreational facilities is clear, and I expect that we fall under that guise. I fully expect that the exemptions for COVID secure sport will not apply during this semi-lockdown.

Then there is the catch all "stay at home except for essential travel".

I am sure the detail will emerge over the next few days.

Posted by Jonathan M on 01/11/2020 09:14:53:

Its currently forecast to be perfectly flyable down 'ere on both Wed and Thur.

Weather forecasting... now there's a science we can usually really rely on pretty well these days!

The lock down will start ... if parliament can agree and dont do a brexit at 00.01 hrs on Thursday so forecast may be irrelevant sad

Posted by PeterF on 01/11/2020 10:07:31:

The most detailed advice so far on gov.uk does not answer things exactly but it does not sound good.

From that website

To reduce social contact, the Government has ordered certain businesses and venues to close. These include:

• indoor and outdoor leisure facilities such as bowling alleys, leisure centres and gyms, sports facilities including swimming pools, golf courses and driving ranges, dance studios, stables and riding centres, soft play facilities, climbing walls and climbing centres, archery and shooting ranges, water and theme parks,

The detail at this stage can not be expected to cover each and every case, however, the intent to close organised outdoor sport / recreational facilities is clear, and I expect that we fall under that guise. I fully expect that the exemptions for COVID secure sport will not apply during this semi-lockdown.

If the advice is for all to stay at home except for essential travel then I'm really struggling to see how a trip to the flying site qualifies as essential travel.

From that website

Just shows you how badly thought out these instructions are, you can't just close stables, you may be able to not give riding lessons at riding centres but people still have to go there to care for the horses.

Posted by Doc Marten on 01/11/2020 11:15:42:

Don't overthink it and stop looking for loopholes works for me, leave that to the professionals.

Well said. People spread Coronavirus, so if you don't want it, keep away from other people wherever possible. If you HAVE to be close to others take precautions. Simple isn't it?

I agree with Doc Marten and leccyflier. We had this discussion last time and the rules seem pretty clear to me. There can’t be a set of rules that cover every possible scenario, they would be like War and Peace and no one would ever read and understand it all. People always have to look for loopholes and contradictions, then complain that the rules are confusing. It’s only for a month and the weathers’ terrible anyway.

Posted by BackinBlack on 01/11/2020 11:32:12:
Posted by Doc Marten on 01/11/2020 11:15:42:

Don't overthink it and stop looking for loopholes works for me, leave that to the professionals.

Well said. People spread Coronavirus, so if you don't want it, keep away from other people wherever possible. If you HAVE to be close to others take precautions. Simple isn't it?

You would think so but I've just watched them on the BBC debating the merits of making an exception of Christmas day if the lockdown is extended, in order to enable families and friends to get together for the day, and whether or not this should be applied to major celebrations for other faiths. This week I've heard several people stating their intent to meet up on CD regardless of the lockdown status at that time!

With regard to flying, I would look to the guidance for activities like golf clubs, which to me means no flying clubs or other similar outdoor pursuits during lockdown.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 01/11/2020 11:46:12

Well from the little that I have heard there are two points that are useful for us.

1) Two people can meet outside.

2) we can travel a "reasonable" distance for excercise.

Now I could walk in my lane but there is a steady stream od walkers there so some risk of contamination or I could drive 3 miles to stand in an open field and fly a model on my own or with one other person.

Then I do wonder about my next door neighbour. She is 101 and has several visitors a day in her house. THAT is not going to stop I know!! I do a lot of her shopping for her If I can't meet one friend outside that is going to stop!

Posted by Doc Marten on 01/11/2020 11:59:29:
Posted by BackinBlack on 01/11/2020 11:32:12:

Yep....

Spot on.

Its like Peter`s mention of the 101 neighbour. She needs to have contact to get by. So precautions must be taken BUT needs people close to help.

It was said here that a family member has had covid 19 and had a nasty cough BUT that would be much worse for a 70 year old, yes so would the flu or such like.

The vast vast vast majority who get Covid have minor symptoms. We need to take care of the old and weak etc BUT get on with life. The way things are going no one will be able to afford any hobbies or pastimes soon.

All the rules and regs ARE NOT consistent. This will never go away, what are we all doing, waiting for a vaccine,good luck with that.

Look out for the next great depression because that's very likely.

Posted by Shaun Walsh on 01/11/2020 11:00:05:

From that website

Just shows you how badly thought out these instructions are, you can't just close stables, you may be able to not give riding lessons at riding centres but people still have to go there to care for the horses.

I very much doubt looking after the Horses, does not qualify as essential.