New scam alert!

cymaz

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 17/12/2020 06:01:06:

Another day, another text scam! Just had one saying:- 'Your FedEx package is due for delivery by 17/12. To reschedule, go to (internet link) before 23.59, To opt out, reply STOP'

Sorry, just had to edit this - Since when has Sarik Hobbies started using FedEx? Maybe all the scam texts I am getting is making me a bit paranoid! Still, can't be too careful people. blush

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 17/12/2020 06:28:52

Hi Pters, I had a delivery from Sarik on the 11/12 2020 delivered by FED EX no problems. apart from Sarik did not put the plan in. I did not respond to the E.mail as I would be at home.

Advert

Another new one

I just checked my SPAM folder and found an email saying "Second attempt" from Wallmart. As A) I have never bought anything fromWallmaart and didn't even think that they operated in the UK it is obviously a scam.

My internet removes all links and pictures from anything that it puts in my SPAM fiolder.

That’s like the email I had telling me that my Wells Fargo account would be closed if I didn’t click on the link. To us, an obvious scam. The senders must use the shotgun approach hoping that they will hit someone somewhere with a Wells Fargo account. I have shopped in Walmart but only in person in the USA so I don’t see how they could have my email address.

And ANOTHER scam:

Yesterday I had mynwallet stolen - leaving aside my enthusiasm for the Sharia punishments for such crimes as practiced in Saudi Arabia - insult was piled upon injury when I went on line to request a replacement for my drivers licence. The first 3-4 sites that come up on Google, convincing though they looked - they are purely designed to separate the trusting punter from their money. Said sites apply for the licence ON YOUR BEHALF - charging you FIFTY QUID for the privelige, over and above the cost of the replacement. (i.e. £69.99 ) If you go down the page to the GOV.UK site you can do the job for yourself for £20.

The only ( slightly tarnished ) silver lining was that I have our bank and credit card help lines on my in my cell phone - so within a few minutes the cards were blocked - before the ungodly were able to use them. The silver lining tarnish being my Amazon & PayPal accounts are linked to my card ( obvs! ) - so any further purchases between now and the new year will have to be on SWMBO's card, unless I can persuade her to get me some cash from the hole in the wall

Edited By Doctor Chinnery on 18/12/2020 17:11:51

Almost got taken in by an E-mail purporting to be from DPD that they had been unable to deliver a package . As I was actually expecting a delivery , I started to reply but after a bit my bank details were requested by VERIFIED BY VISA , but not quite the usual format ,at which I luckily smelt a rat and went back to the start to check the origin. Turned out to be from Italy and no connection to DPD , probably preying on the fact that there are a lot of packages being waited on at this time , as I was.

Just had a scary one yesterday face 2.

I had some UPVC french doors installed Friday and the fitter sent his invoice with BACS details on a Word Document attached to his email address. All well and good so far. About an hour later I got another email that appeared to be from the same guy saying that he forgot to mention his books were being audited for the year end and payments in and out were not being allowed. Therefore, would I remit the payment to his accountant, giving a different sort code and bank account number.

At that point I hadn't quite cottoned on, but I know that all the banks now do a online bank account verification check to make sure the account title matches up with the number. This ensures the payment gets applied correctly. I asked the guy to provide the account title as well as I couldn't set up an instruction without it. After another half hour or so he came back apologising saying the name was "Bashir Ahmad Isa" . It was then I smelt a rat. I phoned the UPVC contractor's mobile for confirmation of his instructions and surprise, surprise this second email was a fake.

I know this type of scam goes on with solicitors when transferring large sums of mortgage payments. The scammer takes control of the contractors email address to pretend to be the contractor an so on. Not seen it on a smaller level with medium sized businesses though. Lucky escape for both of us as the email looked to all intends and purposes as the genuine article. The only thing I noticed latterly on the fake email was "Get Outlook for iOS" at the bottom. May not be anything to do with it though.

The good thing about this thread, is that it keeps us all in the picture. Long may the info continue.

As everybody is ordering stuff on line at present, these leeches have not been slow in coming up with ever more ingenious scams.

I wonder if any of then get caught?.

Must say, I am sick and tired of the "This is Amazon" call at 07:30 virtually every morning.

Be careful everybody.

Had 3 Amazon automated calls this week, then this morning I had a voice call. Very Asian accent ,he new all my details name address post code etc. and told me £79 was about to be drawn from my Amazon prime account. I told him he and his mob were a bunch of jokers in my strongest Geordie accent, he was getting flustered asking what I was saying and telling me he was genuine even had the office background noise on. I just hung up. I don't have an Amazon prime account and they don't have my bank details as I refuse to give them as they don't do PayPal.

Posted by john davidson 1 on 19/12/2020 14:36:21:

Almost got taken in by an E-mail purporting to be from DPD that they had been unable to deliver a package . As I was actually expecting a delivery , I started to reply but after a bit my bank details were requested by VERIFIED BY VISA , but not quite the usual format ,at which I luckily smelt a rat and went back to the start to check the origin. Turned out to be from Italy and no connection to DPD , probably preying on the fact that there are a lot of packages being waited on at this time , as I was.

I had one of those yesterday. Ithought it odd because (for once) I wasn't expecting anything any time soon. I just ignored it.

I suppose, given both the time of year and the pandemic, it's a fair bet many are expecting a package. You have to keep your wits about you these days!

Geoff

Posted by cymaz on 19/12/2020 20:51:57:

Talking of DPD. Don’t be caught out .....this is real, if anyone rings or emails saying “ we can deliver your parcel for an extra fee” , they’re lying

The e-mail supposedly from DPD said they couldn't deliver and wanted £1 to redeliver in two days or £3 next day, just a way to get your details , the site was very convincing with lots of details and quite believable

Posted by J D 8 on 24/12/2020 12:13:04:

Getting messages from BT technical department [ so it say's ] They say they want to sort a problem with my internet. My internet is a bit hit and miss with the bad weather at the moment. There is a number to ring back. SCAM ?

I say scam....how would they know?

Almost undoubtedly. If you're having internet problems contact your provider and report a fault.

As I suspect you will probably be served over a long overhead rural route - look out for shotgun pellet damage - assuming you have a landline from them, call BT and ask them to test your line even if you have a different provider. Many faults may degrade internet service without disabling the phone line although you may hear buzzes or crackles as a clue that all is not well.

It is way over a month now since I had one of the computer " down " " " slow " scam calls.

I do believe they have crossed me off their list.

5 weeks ago they rang me to say that my internet must be slow, and I said " Yes it is "

I engaged the lady at least 10 minutes following instructions ( Not ) to switch on my tower etc etc

And when I had the Lady well and truly hooked, that she had landed me

I cheerily asked if she had elderly parents, older like me and grateful for help ? ? ?

She stuttered slightly and said " Yes " she had parents

calmly I said

" How would you feel if your colleagues in your office rang to Cheat your mother and your father out of their money "

The lady was stuttering again then hung uo.

I used to get these calls 2 or 3 times a week, and had none at all now for 5 weeks

I think she crossed me off her Christmas List

I've had one from DPD, as they said that 2 deliveries had failed and to redeliver they wanted payment, etc.

What was quite obvious was not so, as I was expecting a pair of boxing gloves and punch bag at the same time, but their tracking number, I copied and pasted onto the genuine DPD website and surprise, surprise, didn't exist. The things came from another carrier, Yodel, but can see how people can get drawn in, if you are expecting delivery.

Also had one from "DVLA" saying my car was untaxed and if I don't submit payment, I will go to prison, There was no car details, not even my name. said "Dear Sirs" and was from DVLAfriends. yeah, right. Checked online, and both cars are taxed and mot'd...