All things model flying except for raising a smile.

kevin lane

Well political correctness raises it's ugly head yet again, because a few dour faced individuals think they have the right to tell us what is good for us. I cannot believe that these people keep trying to drag us back into the 1900s and they are obviously being allowed to succeed, one only has to look at the current editorial content. Old models, old shows, old photographs. Sorry at the age of 73 I would rather look to the future instead of some rose tinted vision of the past. Well you've closed down funnies and in so doing you've also closed down my subscription. Goodbye RCME. Kevin Lane.

Advert

Posted by Brian Cooper on 08/01/2021 09:33:30:

Errrr. ..... what did I miss? crook

Just someone who A) doesn't realise that the editorial content and "old shows" is because the pandemic has reduced the possibility of covering non existent new shows..

And B) They also don't like the fact that, unlike at least one RC forum the moderators try and keep this one acceptable to all kinds of people.

I am not sure about the comment old models. The plans that come out are usually new designs. and a lot of people do like old and vintage models.

And if he wants really new models there is a very simple answer...Get his pencil and paper out and design one...I am sure that someone like him must be able to to design new models.

I suspect that a moderator jumped on him for submitting a "funny" outside the guide lines.

Well if one does and one gets jumped on live with it. don't throw your toys out of the pram

I'm fully supportive in keeping this forum family friendly and all inclusive and the moderators do a great job.

While I'm not aware of what exactly led to the situation, I do feel it a bit much that a very popular and well liked humurous thread has been stopped because one or two postings may have been inappropriate or because maybe a few members were not following the guidelines.

As in many aspects of life nowadays, it seems to me that the majority are losing out because of the actions of a very small minority.

Posted by Dave S. on 08/01/2021 10:02:47:

As I was just reading the thread about scalpel blades, I was wondering what the best blade for cutting off one's nose to spite your face would be? Not sure the ubiquitous 10A would cope with the gristle….

No you need a major series scalpel

When you say 'a few dour faced individuals' I hope you're not referring to we mods, Kevin, as I can assure you that's far from the reality - we enjoy a good laugh as much as anyone elseteeth 2

The fact is, 99.5% of threads on the forum require no moderation whatsoever and the overwhelming majority of contributors respect the simple rules of keeping things clean, relevant and polite. The other 0.5% of threads require an inordinate amount of attention as, unfortunately, some folk can't constrain themselves, don't think before they post or try to push the bar higher and higher.

The funnies thread has had a very long run and has amused many of us but recently some posts have pushed the limits of what we are now expected to tolerate. Like it or not, the world has changed and some humour which was unremarkable in years gone by now attracts criticism, adverse comments and complaints to the mods.

That gives us little choice in our efforts to keep the forum on an even keel.

We've put things on ice for now and will look again at the situation in time.

There is plenty of other entertainment and useful information here, I'm sure, so do think twice about leaving, pleasesmile

Pete

I have just received my Feb 2021 subscription copy of RCM&E. Having read Kevin's post I just can't see where he is coming from:- a superb new model plan from Andy Blackburn, A Foamy twin EDF review, contra rotating props, NGH GF38 petrol 4st review. None of these are a 'rose tinted vision of the past'. A magazine has to cater of all tastes and I think Kevin Crozier is doing a great job of maintaining the RCM&E traditions and standards.

ps. moderators, please keep moderating!

Hmm difficult. Why not just delete the deemed offensive post, notify the poster and continue. I had a post moderated for using a frequently used swear word for being drunk. Ok not overly happy as it was contained in a lengthy mock of covid, but it was done so I just continue without gripe.

Yes humour has changed, whether its funnier or not is for you to decide. It also has its own niches, for example the medical profession, armed services and emergency services all have a type of humour which can be very dark and certainly cause grievous outrage if used outside their respective environment.

The poster has exercised his right to have his say and chosen to leave. As for trying to keep the forum open for all kinds of people, you cant, as illustrated by the removal of the post. You can only cater for those who exercise the views within the parameters set by the moderators.

To paraphrase an age old question: "who moderates the moderators ?"

Posted by Zflyer on 08/01/2021 10:53:17:

To paraphrase an age old question: "who moderates the moderators ?"

Great question! My take on it is that it's ultimately the members here. If greater numbers didn't like or accept the level we have to set, we'd soon see an exodus, or at least a steady drifting away and we see no evidence of that. People don't hang around places that don't suit them.

No, we don't always get it spot on but it would seem most folk are content. We are very grateful for the support we get whenever moderation comes into question, be assured.

Pete

To close down the Funny thread is awful! It cheered me up no end which is what we all need at the present time. Just because someone posts something that the Mods want to censor should not close the whole thread just eliminate the offending bit. Frankly everything thats ever been written offends somebody somewhere - if censored there would be nothing in the world to read.

Keep the good stuff!

Personally, I think that closing down the funnies thread was the wrong thing to do. Some threads have trouble written all over them from the start and eventual closure is inevitable. The funnies thread is not like this. With member's reporting of dodgy posts and some degree of steering by moderators, it should be possible to keep it clean and family friendly.

I know that criticism of moderator decisions is against the rules, so I am pushing it by writing this, but please reconsider the decision to close the very popular thread. Some threads have a photo or banner at the top of each new page. Why not add a banner at the top of the funnies page reminding members of the requirement to keep it family friendly and come down hard on members who push the limits too far?

As Pete said earlier, that thread and this site in particular are very labour intensive at the moment. You wouldn’t believe some of the threats and abuse we’ve received in the last few months by message and email when we’ve had to step in.

But we hear what you folks say and we’re happy to unlock the thread. Please, please exercise restraint when posting, don’t stick something up just to see if you can get away with it, and please try and avoid reposting some of the junk that endlessly circulates on social media. It’s not a competition to see who can regurgitate the most.

Ken, started the the funnies thread and, if in doubt, perhaps check out the OP and use the tone he set as a guide.

David.

well as the person/forumite who set the "sign of the times/funnies" thread away all them years ago,i also was concerned that due to a few silly people/posts the mods decided to close the thread down for good. David Ashby got in touch with me and explained the reason for doing so, and I replied that as he was the one of the ones with the responsibility for the forum and its content I understood etc.

I've seen a few posts from others saying they enjoyed having a laugh and would miss the thread....but again some were posting stuff gung ho without thinking about the audience that would see what they had written and so could/would cause offence to others.....maybe with a bit of common sense and restraint from posters the "Mod's" will have a re-think...who know's...me...I would consider a ban the people who aren't willing to think twice before posting some of the stuff...

So if the people really want the thread to remain......leave a decent msg or two....the mods are human,same as us and may have a re-think...

ken anderson...ne....1...Re- Think dept.

Virtually all the post here are for reinstating the funnies . Are moderators listening now ? I hope so as it works both ways. Whilst I agree that a moderators job can be tricky especially in these difficult times, if they don't like the job then simply don't do it. Please don't just delete a listing.

Taking it to extremes would a moderator who hates quadcopter/ drones delete the listing ?

Edited By Engine Doctor on 08/01/2021 13:09:54

We’ve listened folks, see previous my post before expressing your angst. The ‘funnies’ is open again.

Gary and Phil, people are always welcome to criticise a moderator (and they do!) but via the private message please rather than hide behind a posse. We respect the same process so the site has some order of civility.

ED, it is tricky at times and we’d rather it didn’t get any trickier please.

Just as a point of interest.

IF you have a funny which might possibly infringe the COC why not send it as a PM to a moderator.

I have done this in the past. No need to get into a discussin. If the one you send it to says NO, just accept it.

Now the moderators are probably going to curse me for this but t is just a suggestion.