I LOVE the new site!

Jonathan M

Advert

Hi Dick - and Dwain.  Go to Create near the top of the page and click Gallery Image where you will see the option to create a new album.

10 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

image.thumb.png.19f8788dbed551b026b5acb0a238d9ba.png

Alternatively, you can simply tick the images you want to move and click on the arrow which appears under the pictures - this allows you to create a new album but unlike the former method requires much more input.

Hi Martin

I have created an album, and have no problem downloading new pics to it, but can find no way of selecting existing photos to move into it.

I don't see anyway to "select" a photo, just the option to "view" it - which doesn't irself lead to any other way of moving it.

Dick

Image view  2.jpg

Image view 1.jpg

12 minutes ago, kc said:

To me it's pretty useless without a 'Latest Post'  section - that's what made Modelflying different, now it's just the same as the other model sites!

The latest post section enabled us to see what was happening and get quick answers to questions. 

KC

I have found that bit. Have a look at the "My Activity Streams" in the menu at trhe top of the screen. You can set up your own filters to simulate the latest posts options.

I have set up an "Unread" filter and a "last 24 hours" filter. There may be better ways of doing it, but those solve my immediate problem -see pic attached (I hope!)

Dick

Latest posts.jpg

Dick (and since posting, I notice Dwain and Grumpy) - there should be tick boxes top right - I've selected my GlOhmen in the screndump...

image.thumb.png.bb106a14d8d3d91777bbf32e2c11560a.png

...then hit the arrowin the black box to move the selected photo(s) to an album -you get the option to create one but I thin it's simpler doing that by the previous method I posted.

Edited by Martin Harris - Moderator

5 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Dick - there should be tick boxes top right - I've selected my Glohmen in the screndump...

...then hit thearrowin the black box to move the selected photo(s) to an album -you get the option to create one but I thin it's simpler doing that by the previous method I posted.

No tick box in the view I have. Do I need to do something to have that option - a setting somewhere?

Dick

No tick box.jpg

I think that Modelflying has completely 'lost the plot' and it would be better to revert to the old forum before it's too late.    If we cannot see immediately what the latest posts are and cannot look back through the last few days to see which questions have not been answered ( especially newcomers questions) then the charactor and ethos of the forum is lost.  

It is particularly worrying to lose the Message Member and the replies from that member- notifications that someone has replied on the forum are not the same as personal replies!

A new Poll is needed to see how many members want to revert to the old forum.......

15 minutes ago, kc said:

I think that Modelflying has completely 'lost the plot' and it would be better to revert to the old forum before it's too late.    If we cannot see immediately what the latest posts are and cannot look back through the last few days to see which questions have not been answered ( especially newcomers questions) then the charactor and ethos of the forum is lost.  

It is particularly worrying to lose the Message Member and the replies from that member- notifications that someone has replied on the forum are not the same as personal replies!

A new Poll is needed to see how many members want to revert to the old forum.......

I've just written a short guide on how to create a latest posts view analogous to the old one, it can be setup in minutes very simply. Message member is also clearly there - just click on their avatar and it appears. I suspect that if you want it direct on every post that is possible, it is probably just a configuration item isn't the back end for the Admins. They probably didn't enable it because it takes up extra real estate on each post or maybe it was just an overight. Either way for most people it is no biggie, we will get used to it.

Personally the fact this site renders about 100X better on mobile devices and is supportable moving forward is the biggest win - anyone who has been in IT knows an antiquated platform like that is an obvious target for security breaches etc. Embrace the change, it ain't going away!

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 3

I have a few observations so far .

Firstly that page view is clearer on smart phones. 

Edit time is too short after posting  ( I believe that is already on the snagging list).

Feature of direct photo posts onto chat is very useful. That will probably stop the need for storage of albums on the site.

Haven’t seen a condensed headline “latest posts list”. That would be nice to scroll through.

It’s hard to give a full assessment so early until lm more familiar with the new site. 

Edited by Tim Flyer

I have setup as Matty B suggested but it's no substitute for the Latest Posts that we had yesterday.    The point is newcomers to the site cannot see quickly where the latest and livliest discussions are taking place.    Modelflying now looks just the same as...... ( insert name of rival site )  ...  which just seems boring as one cannot see where the really lively discussions are taking place - you have to wade through dozens of old topics.     I didn't join .......( rival site ) for that very reason - it seemed boring and not current.    Same with several other sites that seem to use the same software.     Being able to read the latest discussion and see who has posted replies was the big advantage Modelflying had - now it's gone!    Now it's just the same as other sites.    Newcomers will not be attracted.    I didn't join these other sites because they seemed boring,  Modelflying had this big advantage and now they have taken it away!

Why change something that worked well?   Latest Posts is needed!

5 minutes ago, kc said:

I have setup as Matty B suggested but it's no substitute for the Latest Posts that we had yesterday.    The point is newcomers to the site cannot see quickly where the latest and livliest discussions are taking place.    Modelflying now looks just the same as...... ( insert name of rival site )  ...  which just seems boring as one cannot see where the really lively discussions are taking place - you have to wade through dozens of old topics.     I didn't join .......( rival site ) for that very reason - it seemed boring and not current.    Same with several other sites that seem to use the same software.     Being able to read the latest discussion and see who has posted replies was the big advantage Modelflying had - now it's gone!    Now it's just the same as other sites.    Newcomers will not be attracted.    I didn't join these other sites because they seemed boring,  Modelflying had this big advantage and now they have taken it away!

Why change something that worked well?   Latest Posts is needed!

Completely agree KC. I think that the site has lost its unique "personality " entirely.  If its working then leave it alone.  Am I the only one who can't see the advantages to the new look.  BTW, where do we see the magazine archive now?

19 hours ago, kc said:

I have setup as Matty B suggested but it's no substitute for the Latest Posts that we had yesterday.    The point is newcomers to the site cannot see quickly where the latest and livliest discussions are taking place.   

kc

The setup MattyB suggested looks like this for me - I've circled the post count and 'most recent time' associated with the thread. This seems to be the same information the previous 'latest posts' page had on it.

What are you saying is missing from this?

Annotation 2021-02-12 085106.jpg

Edited by Nigel R
  • Like 1