Battle of Britain Film Remake

leccyflyer

As I might have mentioned I'm a bit of a fan of the 1969 film Battle of Britain. Have seen it several hundred times and it's long been a family tradition to try to work the key lines into any suitable situation. Thankfully I also have some pals who are fellow fans and I'm thankful to one, who semt me a link to this short animated remake of the film, in glorious 1/72nd scale. I've just finished watching it and all I can say is "Bloody Marvellous!"

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Great fun..........but no Susanna York in her night attire?

Seen BoB countless times, but it's very much of its time and looking a bit wooden (plastic) now. Flying scenes have never been bettered though. If you haven't got it already, the double disk, special edition DVD is packed with background information and extras about the making of the film itself.

The DVD I have has the option of extra narration from the director and others, and is a fascinating insight to what's going on in various scenes.

I still have a Battle of Britain carboard fold out airfield, hard standings hangers control tower ect. I think it was a special offer with a well known cornflake maker about the time the film came out. Anyone else remember these.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kevin b said:

Does anybody remember the Heinz beans offer about 1960 ?

I had quite a few relatives and managed to amass a squadron of Spitfires and nearly as many Me 109s.

Quality was poor, but so were we and Airfix models weren't that cheap.

Airfix kits played a big part in my childhood during the 60s and has never really faded. Half a crown a week pocket money, would get you a 1/72 bagged kit and tube of glue, with a few coppers left over. Never used to paint them until I was older. Alternatively, two shillings would get you a Matchbox model car - they also produced a printed road layout for a couple of bob as well.

A boxed Airfix kit required a bit of saving up as did their dogfight doubles. Comics like Valiant and Victor still carried stories of WW1 and 2 pilot heroes and articles on other military subjects. Imagine that today.

22 minutes ago, Cuban8 said:

Airfix kits played a big part in my childhood during the 60s and has never really faded. Half a crown a week pocket money, would get you a 1/72 bagged kit and tube of glue, with a few coppers left over. Never used to paint them until I was older. Alternatively, two shillings would get you a Matchbox model car - they also produced a printed road layout for a couple of bob as well.

A boxed Airfix kit required a bit of saving up as did their dogfight doubles. Comics like Valiant and Victor still carried stories of WW1 and 2 pilot heroes and articles on other military subjects. Imagine that today.

While we’re reminiscing about the 60s, not about model aircraft, but does anyone else remember the foldout zoo animal heads that (I think) Kellogg’s used to print on the back of their cereal packets? It would have been around 1962/63 when I was 5 or 6. I think my father must have put them together for me, and I had a row of them pinned along the pelmet in my bedroom - I particularly remember the elephant with its trunk that stuck out. They were effectively 3D developments which you cut out, scored along the dotted lines and bent around to form said animal. I’ve mentioned them to friends of similar age to me and no one else seems to remember them. Maybe they were just a figment of my imagination!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cuban8 said:

Ditto - the Dogfight Doubles were well worth saving up for and I remember building every pair of I think there were nine pairs originally. I only learned this week that Airfix released a whole bunch of additional Dogfight Doubles in 2014-15, with some quite unlikely pairings, such as a Cessna O-2 and Mig-21.  The Roland C-1 and RE8 was one of my particular favourites. The other big memory was of using Green Shield stamps, which would get you a couple of plastic kits - I think they were FROG or possibly Matchbox kits, Happy Days. 🙂

1 hour ago, Trevor Crook said:

Brilliant! Inspires me to do a bit more on my old Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Mk1. Going more carefully with the glue than when I built the first one - "Plenty of it, flood the cowling!"

Don’t know about the cowling, but I remember my efforts as a nine year old always ended up with fingerprints embedded in the cockpit canopy (which obviously should have been clear) from polystyrene cement covered fingers!

1 hour ago, Trevor Crook said:

Brilliant! Inspires me to do a bit more on my old Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Mk1. Going more carefully with the glue than when I built the first one - "Plenty of it, flood the cowling!"

"You know what to do with the lame ducks......."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Trevor Crook said:

I got the 1/24 Spit and 109 for Christmas one year, still bring back fond memories, they looked so big in those days. Nostalgia got the better of me a few weeks ago and picked up the 1/24 109 on Evilbay.

13 hours ago, martin collins 1 said:

No but i would like to see a picture of it!

It is still unmade, saw it a while back when searching for other stuff. See if I can find again. When one has lived in one place nearly all ones life [ only moved a 100 yards when 10 years old ] stuff accumulates.  See if I can locate again.

• Like 1

I built the first 1/24 Spitfire around 1969, when I was 15. I got another a couple of years ago at an antiques centre and started it. Unfortunately I manged to spill glue into the box and ruined the sliding canopy part, so put it all away in disgust. I got inspired by the recent Hornby series which featured the new 1/24 Mk IX, and emailed Airfix to see if they still had any spares for the old kit they could sell me. After a couple of email exchanges with me providing photos of the number on the box and the page in the instruction book, they sent me the appropriate set of transparencies f.o.c. So impressed with the service that I'll probably buy the new kit when I've finished the old one!