3pm mobile alarm

cymaz

12 hours ago, Alan Hilton said:

I got nothing what a waste of time and effort

It was a test.  The whole point was to see whether it worked as it should and, if not, to fix it

I would rather that it was tested before it is needed

Do you regard the range test that you do before flying a waste of time ?

• Like 6

Advert

It's instead of the sirens on top of the old police boxes - remember them?

Will still only give you time to place your head between your legs and kiss your a... er 'situpon' goodbye! (yoga practitioners only😄

Edited by Wingman
syntax
  • Haha 2

Depends on how old your phone is by all accounts. My other half's newish phone running the latest version of Android received the alert along with the American accented statement to not panic. My old Android 6 phone remained quiet.

I have mixed feelings about it being worthwhile seeing as there are so many other social media outlets that do pretty well at dishing out stuff at the drop of a hat to millions and constant news alerts from BBC and Sky should you want your phone chiming at you all the time.

Remember the siren tests in the early/mid sixties when I was a kid in London, my dad used to tell me it was for a flood warning rather than frighten me with its real reason. When we moved out to Norfolk in '66, the part-time retained firemen in North Walsham would be summoned to duty by the sound of the sirens IIRC.

Surely the whole point is to use modern technology to give localised information. 

A warning of flash floods targeted to a small number of mobile cells could save lives and is less likely to be ignored than generalised advice. Just one example of many that this could be used for. 

I see the general broadcast as just part of the testing programme - surely negative reports are just what are needed to help fine tune the system…

As for those unable to receive information, neighbours, family etc. will be better informed in able to assist them. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Robert Cracknell said:

Cuban8,

Blind persons cannot use 'Smart' phones, Android or IOS. They need tactile controls i.e. big embossed buttons.

You can get apps that make them voice controlled and get them to read out things etc https://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Phone-if-You're-Blind-or-Visually-Impaired#:~:text=Use TalkBack.,aloud%2C and saying every movement.

5 hours ago, Robert Cracknell said:

Cuban8,

Blind persons cannot use 'Smart' phones, Android or IOS. They need tactile controls i.e. big embossed buttons.

A blind friend of mine uses a smart phone very effectively, he plays back and sends Watts app messages as well as any sighted person. He uses many other apps too.

21 hours ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

You can get apps that make them voice controlled and get them to read out things etc https://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Phone-if-You're-Blind-or-Visually-Impaired#:~:text=Use TalkBack.,aloud%2C and saying every movement.

I have that in my car, a complete waste of time, navigation, radio station, music choice ( USB ) and of course the telephone,,,😈