Summer 2023 is here, who has been flying then?

After a week of good weather although a bit windy, today we got a magnificent day here in Madrid!

So we took the opportunity to maiden 2 new very different aircraft: an 1/4 scale SG-38 Schulgleiter buit from plans and with a brushless motor on a pod and an EDF foam MB-339 Aermacchi.

Both went beautifully, with 2 flights with the Aermacchi and one but with 3 attemps due to lack of power with the SG-38......

IMG-20230701-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20230701-WA0002.jpg

Edited by Jesus Cardin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Hi Paul,

Glad your still with us.

Quite a lot of fences, so you must be getting good at landing.

Enjoy.

Hi Rich! Ha ha, flying is still fun, whatever the doom and gloom merchants say! Yes, a brush with a fence has taught me to land at my feet more or less!

Cool...

Having to land in limited space really sharpens your skills.

My local slope site at the time was a down hill "avenue" between the rocks !

My present local slope ( different county )  was covered in thick heather etc., Until some moron torched the site, but it is growing back. I now know where all the rocks are and have marked out a few avenues for when the heather fully grows back.

Precise accurate landings needed.

Enjoy.

Edited by Rich Griff

The forecast was wrong for our strip this morning, even windier than yesterday but I got a few flights in with the Boomerang. My repair this time after recovering with more heat stayed put.

It was fun doing a half loop onto wind, throttling back and letting the wind take the model downwind inverted then half looping back into wind. 😁 Take offs were very short and landings could be done very slowly almost hovering in.

I would have flown for longer but others didn't seem keen and as we're an active airfield solo flying isn't allowed.☹️

Could do with a bit more thrust so next I will be experimenting with different props to the 11x7 I've always used.

Edited by PDB

I finally got the c of g sorted and the servo throws, smaller wheels also made a différance, my £50 laser is now running properly, although it does groan a bit when going up into a loop with its carbon 14 x 7, and the two dammed exhaust Ba screws on the cylinder keep unscrewing themselves, 31°c getting hot,,,

PC-9 up and running.jpg

• Like 4

On 02/07/2023 at 22:28, PDB said:

My repair this time after recovering with more heat stayed put.

The film covering over the repair didn't last long, had 3 flights yesterday afternoon and the patch lifted again. 🙄 

One of the more experienced members invited me over to his place to sort it out. After removing the covering he used some degreaser, prepped the area with Cover Grip, recovered it and I'm now sealing the edge with Aerokot so hopefully it'll last longer. Find out tomorrow. 🙂

Edited by PDB
  • Like 1

We did the BMFA Distance Challenge today - VERY poor turnout. The few that flew had fun though - we did 77,868 meres.

Personally, I had a mixed session:

• Did about 100 laps of our 309 metre course, with my little petrol W4 - good
  • Finished setting up the Force 46 in my Ruckus - good
  • Forgot to add fly leads for the ailerons on my Ruckus so that was grounded - bad
  • Lost control of my W4 and hit a tree - bit of damage to leading edges. Looks like a loose spark plug, and subsequent 'noise' was he culprit . It did do a lot of work...

We also had a 'Speed extravaganza' competition.  I came second (i.e. last) because I go bored and started doing aerobatics part way through.....

• Like 2

Flying Sunday with almost zero wind. Still getting to grips with the Habu SS landing (just how slow it will fly) and more fun with the Laser FT 200 powered Balsa USA cub. Half throttle will do nicely and with the odd 3/4 throttle on the wheeling turns. PS must square up the cub UC!

image.thumb.png.6a5ca3e13fa958c8e41c889be96dc0ae.png

• Like 2

Three of us today in the Vale of York, breezy but bright and warm and managed to get the grass cut.

Broke the mast again on my Gyroo after it went in. Both of us are having real difficulties with sustained flight.

But that was all forgotten when 2 P51 Mustangs with invasion stripes  in really close formation gave us a personal display. They circled the patch twice, performed a close formation loop followed by a victory role signing off with a wing waggle. Phone pictures don't show how close they were.

THAT MADE OUR DAY 👍

Looked on the free Flight Radar and another but couldn't see any trace 😥  Anyone able to put up a track assuming they had transponders - around 3.30 give or take today. Just north of Tadcaster, w of York & e of Wetherby.

image.png.701bf1cd96feaa4bf949753b41625b03.png

image.thumb.png.2265a292514a62335a53329b8f1f4f36.png

Edited by Ace
  • Like 2

Had a short session at a second club I'm a member of, initially there was a reasonable cross wind over the strip coming over some trees from behind me. On launching the wind started to pick up and became very turbulent, in front of me:

PXL_20230713_161125764.thumb.jpg.88164c7ffd70072a1e91e34c373ab092.jpg

Behind me coming my way:

PXL_20230713_161133541.thumb.jpg.097dd231de9b18f984246ef2a35c0641.jpg

On approach the model was getting thrown about as the crosswind got stronger and I think the landing was more by luck than judgement.

Decided to call it a day. 😁

I flew my Guidato on Wednesday but it was very marginally powered by the ASP 30FS and I couldn't get the engine to run reliably so yesterday I installed an OS 40 Surpass which involved using a rasp to remove some of the wood from the inner surfaces of the oak engine bearers to accomodate the OS's wider crankcase. I removed the lead from under the engine and temporarily fitted a fixed nose leg.

There was no lack of power this this time and the OS, turning a 13x4, prop sounded very nice as it cruised around the sky. I will fit a steerable nose leg eventually but that will probably involve removing the battery, throttle servo and fuel tank mounting plate so I'll stay with the fixed undercarriage for the time being.

The Guidato is a slightly bigger model than the Super 60 and a fair bit heavier. I regret that precise numbers are not available at the moment because my scales have broken. It has a shorter nose, shorter moment arm and slightly smaller tailplane too. Consequently it's a bit more resposive to control inputs compared with the Super 60 but it's pleasant to fly and just a matter of getting used to its flight characteristics.

Overall I'm very pleased with it and it makes a change from all of those Junior 60s and Super 60s.

Guidato with Super 60 (1).JPG

Guiidato at field.JPG

Nearly Ready (2).JPG

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Christopher Long 1 said:

I think the pairing are called The Horsemen Flight Team.

Spot on 👍, we got a personal performance of them rehearsing right above our patch. They were so tight it was as though there was a piece of string no longer than 1/2 a wing span holding them together throughout their whole performance - awesome skill.

3 hours ago, David Davis said:

I flew my Guidato on Wednesday but it was very marginally powered by the ASP 30FS and I couldn't get the engine to run reliably so yesterday I installed an OS 40 Surpass which involved using a rasp to remove some of the wood from the inner surfaces of the oak engine bearers to accomodate the OS's wider crankcase. I removed the lead from under the engine and temporarily fitted a fixed nose leg.

There was no lack of power this this time and the OS, turning a 13x4, prop sounded very nice as it cruised around the sky. I will fit a steerable nose leg eventually but that will probably involve removing the battery, throttle servo and fuel tank mounting plate so I'll stay with the fixed undercarriage for the time being.

The Guidato is a slightly bigger model than the Super 60 and a fair bit heavier. I regret that precise numbers are not available at the moment because my scales have broken. It has a shorter nose, shorter moment arm and slightly smaller tailplane too. Consequently it's a bit more resposive to control inputs compared with the Super 60 but it's pleasant to fly and just a matter of getting used to its flight characteristics.

Overall I'm very pleased with it and it makes a change from all of those Junior 60s and Super 60s.

Guidato with Super 60 (1).JPG

Guiidato at field.JPG

Nearly Ready (2).JPG

The Guidato is a nice looking plane David as is the Super 60.   I'm sure the OS 40 sounded wonderful.   

I sit here today, the rain lashing down, no heat wave here, plenty of strong wind, I reflect on Sundays flying, a brief respite in a suddenly hostile weather pattern. If it was not for the rain, I would be dog walking along the sand dunes, on the horizon, a wall of braking surf, at this time. Dog goes home in another seven days, thank goodness.

On Sunday I was informed that the recently completed road improvements "for your benefit, thanks for your patience"" have returned. The tarmac still warm, a four way temp light, although the need for a trench across the new bit of tarmac has been discovered. My journey along the coast road, is slow, about 40 coaches line the road (what happened to charabancs). Day trippers stride out across the road willy nilly, on reaching the lanes, I contended with born again cyclists (lacking the discipline of the cycling club that I was a member, on club runs every weekend. Eventually  I turn into our farm track, open the gate, then close it (Fly tipping being an issue), as i slowly trundle down the track, a half mile dust cloud follows me. Still better than the winter mud slide toboggan, or rodel bahn.

I was surprised that I was not the only one there, as thunder storms were predicted. Opening the car door, my faculties were assaulted by the smell of paraffin. It now has a fancy name, what happened to Esso Blue, you know the one, the non smoking, with other brands you buy, smoke gets in your eyes. I now see a large group of, well, lets say, mature gentlemen, the soft tinkle of the Zimmer Frames, can be heard above, the whine of a non stating jet.

I take my place in the paddock, staking my claim with my Wot Four and electric RC Nobbler. It is now time to excite others with my ailments. Sympatric members, commiserate, after all you are not one to complain, are you?

The jet now finally takes to the sky, trailing white smoke behind, eventually it landed, a first flight, some called it a maiden. I think, why?

Next up, was what I thought was a full size, that was lost from the local airport. Now this knife edged at 100 mm above the ground, in a circle, then doe s the same inverted. Before disappearing vertically into the stratosphere, or so it seemed.

Now, it was my turn, I flew both my models, being modest with great panache. Leaving the flight line, I punched the air in triumph. Some were alarmed, thinking something was amiss. I patiently explained that all great athletes do this now, just watch Wimbledon.

I was now time to chat with the other club members, explaining that in my youth I was an exceptional flyer, some said I was unbelievable, they had seen nothing like it. Was my model still OK some enquired. My private thoughts were and remain about the sad absence of many of the leading club members, I do look forward that some will be seen back at the field and club nights.

There many more flights by the other modellers present. By now the air hung heavy, clouds were towering in the distance, a dull sound of thunder could be heard. Time to go home, as Andy Pandy once said.

I am now waiting for Summer, will it be 2023 or 24, or later still. Will the Moss road ever be finished ( now ahead of program, now I did think it was to be finshed January 2022, rather than August 2024) 

You know i could be driven to drink, in fact I will have Whisky

• Like 2
  • Haha 2