Summer 2023 is here, who has been flying then?

58 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

Thanks Leccy but I think it's going to be quite a while, nursie reckons another 4 - 6 weeks with bandages on but I can always keep my fingers crossed (well on the right hand anyway!) and I'll keep going up to the field to help out.

Hi Ron, good to hear you are getting better, you could have a go at single channel button pushing something like a Sharkface to keep yourself in practice!

Advert

Finally got out to fly with an old chum today.  He was helping to set up my Flight Coach hardware and to get the pilot box and centre line set up in the hardware.  Then I went flying for the first time with Flight Coach.  The trace of the flight was enough to put me off using the darn thing but at least I now know what I need to work on.  Everything!

The photo shows our two birds.  My chums model is the CA Model Andes and mine is the B J Craft Anthem both with contra drives.

20230726_154943.thumb.jpg.99fdea6d1f779072779d070726dfa583.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Outrunner said:

you could have a go at single channel

But I would have to build it first which, at the moment I can’t do! But I did think about flying my little Volantex Corsair but then decided that I still need to be able to control the throttle.

No, I’m just going to keep coming back to this thread and torturing myself looking at all the models being flown by you guys, keep the pics coming, even the ‘boring’ flying fish ones (F3a) 🤣 - only joking Peter.

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Haha 1

Managed a couple of hours yesterday with my glow powered Ruckus (surprisingly good flier) and little petrol Wot4.  Had a deadstick on the Wotty when the fuel pipe rested against the silencer/muffler/piece of metal that is stuck on the back of the engine. By far my best landing of the day!

My little Viper continues to frustrate. Bound it with AS3X off. Wiggle it about - silence from servos. Yaaay!  Took it out of the car, plugged the LiPo in, waited the 10 seconds or so for the rx to decide all was well, picked it up to be greeted by the servos chattering as AS3X did it's stuff.  Grrrr. Also accompanied by 'RF signal critical' alerts if the tx was more than 10 feet from the model.  It's still in the car. The rx came out of my PT17 and worked perfectly in that so I am a tad perplexed......

• Like 1

Had a rare two site flying day yesterday, which was brilliant fun.  The forecast wasn't that promising for the morning, with wind and rain, but there was a short window around lunchtime promising light winds and dry, with sunny periods and that is what happened.

Firstly at the club site I was able to get a couple of flights in with the KK Outlaw, establishing that it goes every bit as well taking off from the ground as from a hand launch. It does, however need a touch of up elevator to keep the tail round on starting the take off run, which could be an issue for the eventual single channel maiden flight. Anyway the Outlaw is quite the nicest, most stable model that I have in the fleet, practically flies itself , you just have to breathe on the controls to guide here round the skies. Lovely. Might have some in flight piccies later as well.

The morning wasn't marred by a test flight with the Schoolboy, seeing if the mod had made the model ambidextrous, rather than being seriously left handed. The Schoolboy reared up and stalled, then hit the long grass vertically. Damage was limited to fracturing the 3D printed motor mount, but that put paid to any further flights.

Heading off early afternoon for the more distant ADS site for the afternoon/evening glider session off the winch and bungee, which I hadn't done before, as it's quite a long way off and not really a core interest. Anyway I had a marvellous session, really enjoyed my first goes off the winch with my Easyglider and it was a good call as when the model started to descend a bit close to the ground I was able to have some really nice long flights with a couple of lazy motor runs. The winch itself is a formidable beast and gets quite large gliders up to altitude in seconds. It was a good turnout, with half a dozen other club members enjoying a really pleasant afternoon- @Murat Kece 1 was having great flights with a big 3m+ glider off the winch and I also enjoyed the sight and sound of a flying ironing board zipping about the skies courtesy of @Tosh McCaber, both of this parish.

1517643638_LOSWinch1stAug23-7.thumb.jpg.88bc52f95e58b4f76ce33c1d35a19b44.jpg

755078071_LOSWinch1stAug23-9.thumb.jpg.00c12d5d65934a79c87dddc1a5ca3b4a.jpg

1945105143_LOSWinch1stAug23-13.thumb.jpg.0796c7536e6a5e843e6708c3f378a137.jpg

Alongside the winch the lightweight bungee was getting a workout with the lighter. smaller gliders and I had a bunch of enjoyable flights with my wee red mystery glider, which is now flying well off the bungee, after getting properly trimmed out.

402529506_LOSWinch1stAug23-3.thumb.jpg.ebbcb8ac5baaab716c83735850279783.jpg

1752930517_LOSWinch1stAug23-5.thumb.jpg.a36b7f67495bb18a7d56280e56fad99b.jpg

348084713_LOSWinch1stAug23-15.thumb.jpg.19c876448649f96181b1fad43ef8105b.jpg

Fish supper and a two hour drive home left me a bit knackered at the end of a long day, but well worth the trip. 😄

• Like 8

We put them in to introduce a little bit of excitement for the glider guiders at the end of their hour long thermal soaring adventures  😉

Seriously though the NE of Scotland is littered with stone circles from ancient times - that particular stone circle isn't an ancient one, it's one which was constructed in the early noughties and provided the site for  the Breemie Stanes  midsummer festival held on several years since then. There's also a labyrinth and the club also has the use of the on-site toilet facilities, which are housed in a couple of Yurts, next to the field.

https://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=11180

• Like 1

That's not my mystery glider in the pictures Steve - I think it's our bungee guru Mike's Flinger - that's him in the picture above preparing to launch.

My wee red mystery glider is the one to the left and right of Mike's Flinger - from Round #1 of this year's Bungee Competition, held in July.

355019872_708439911087548_58311032212471

Edited by leccyflyer
clarification
  • Like 2

Some piccies just received of my KK Outlaw in action from the other day, courtesy of my pal Derek, who's Algebra is the red and tartan glider featured  landing in my earlier pictures.

1128650542_0241Outlaw2E.thumb.jpg.2942d8172c225022b0c59b996df7977c.jpg

885439097_0246Outlaw3E.thumb.jpg.b724367c814727689aaba79acac7b8a0.jpg1013075987_0275Outlaw4E.thumb.jpg.bbca795f7e02bf89621a5bc213a5820e.jpg1864206169_0281Outlaw5E.thumb.jpg.aec865924ac846e38d0d0dae7c5e8728.jpg692760912_0285Outlaw6E.thumb.jpg.b8951c1fde6e42e0777a270ba3abc3fc.jpg1159485063_0289Outlaw7E.thumb.jpg.c71b4b4ddf5dfa574f237a3d42143252.jpg

It wasn't that hard a landing, honest and my other two clubmates who had both showed me pictures of their Outlaws, flying from the field in the 70's were delighted to see that my 2023 Outlaw had the same retractable undercarriage. 🙂

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

I still can't get my head around how they work. 😄

I think that they’re specifically designed to prevent ‘run on’ if you land a bit too hot. As I understand it they were the forerunner of brakes / arrester hooks and were unique in that you can adjust the point of break away by increasing / decreasing the retention by the number and strength of rubber bands used. Unfortunately they were really only suitable for use on grass strips, not concrete / tarmac. 

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Haha 2

Perfect flying conditions this morning and a decent turnout for some spirited flying - mini warbirds, EDFs, sports models, biplanes and just relaxing in the warm sunshine.  Flew my wee Spitfire, Zero, Martlet and SE5a, plus another test flight with the Willard Schoolboy, which is still only turning left, so I let discretion be the better part of valour and just let the model land in the long grass. Very enjoyable morning - was able to locate a pal's model which went down in the field with my drone, then back home just as the heavens opened.

• Like 2

Got a few flights in on Saturday, between the showers - when the sun came out, it was very hot!

• Set up the clubs new Apprentice trainer
  • Helped set up the clubs foamy Acrowot 
  • Had some flights with my Arrows Viper, that now runs 4S - doesn't seem any faster than my 3S Hawk tbh
  • Had some flights on my Double Trouble.

Nice couple of hours out. Then it started raining again.

Yesterday was wet and windy. 

Currently my P51 and Ruckus are on charge as it looks like being a decent day.....🤞

• Like 1

Decent, if full day today..

20230807_114907.thumb.jpg.5a37743519c15b40eadbf7f4f83c0173.jpgTake wife to work

Get blood tests - my arm has neen stabbed so many times, I'm scared I'll drown if I shower!

Spend time with dogs

Fly Ruckus several times. Leave Mustang in car

Home for lunch and keep dogs company

Back to field. Help mow grass. Fly Ruckys in what is now a very sfiff breeze

Home to keep dogs company

Fetch wife from work

Relax

• Like 1