The Big Question ?

RICHARD WILLS

Superb Richard she really looks the part. Red 23 is a popular model and was the decal set for the Balsacraft FW190- however I'll be doing my own decals, for the Priller Fw190. I'll pass the word around both my clubs and see if there are any takers.  You can definitely put me down for an FW190 and a Tempest at that price.

20211016_142131167_iOS.jpg

• Like 1

Put me down for a Tempest Richard, will pass this thread across to some of my flying mates and our club facebook page though our club is not that active compared to most. I am going to the Kings Lynn Swapmeet on Sunday, i will print off the best pic of the 190 with the kit price and an email address for you and stick it on the my table. 

• Like 1

Thanks Chaps . I'm not really looking for you to bring in more people , its just that everytime I do this , I get a few who arrive way after time saying is there anyway in the world you can make two more , please please please etc . 

I like to keep people happy so I dont like saying "sorry buddy you've missed the boat" . Realistically its a whopping thread with lots of pictures but I suppose if it had been called 

Tempest and Focke Wulf Dogfight Double , a few more fanciers would have turned up . 

Looks great Richard, have posted it on my club site to see if theres any takers, as i have 3x of yours in the loft and I'm an i/c man, i will decline from the 190. Is the tempest going to be the chin one or the round cowl version  which i expect it will be ? 

• Like 1

As always Andrew , its the lack of numbers . Ive enjoyed doing the 190 but it still takes a lot of time to get a new kit up and running . Plus of course , I have to build and paint the proving kit and document it with photos and explanations . Right at the beginning of this thread , we had this conversation . I clearly design these kits as a passion but we still need to sell at least 20 to break even, realistically . 

I see my customers as friends really, because they are like minded and they want the same as me , but even though I dont want them to become "Warbirds Replica Reps " as we are not salesmen and dont want to bring that tacky side into our hobby . I've pretty much spoken to everyone on my threads , what other company designer can say that ?

My point is , (in a rambling way ) that if we want to continue being able to continue enjoying the building of good looking and practical scale models we need to try and bring on just one person each . 

Right now for example I have committed on here to do the Tempest . I wont let my lads down , and if I say I'm going to do something I pretty much will , but I doubt if I have more than five people who want the Tempest at the moment . That's a long road to walk for five kit sales with small profit margins . 

It sounds bleak and I know there is another thread on this forum at the moment that is going through the same old argument.

But on the other hand I moved to a new home and club two years ago and I can feel my models beginning to appeal to some of the members every time I show up .

So I think the answer is just that. Keep your antenna up for those that show interest in your scale models , they may be thinking of having a go and just need a shoulder to lean on . We've got some newbies here and I don't mind what questions they ask , because if they dont know , others wont know either . 

In fact I have real soft spot for our newbies . Imagine what it feels like to be swimming in a pond full of people like us Andrew , who have decades of mistakes under our belts?

The worst thing we can do is retreat to the shed , slam the door shut and gloat over our balsa stocks and unstarted kits . 

What we should be doing is emerging from that shed in the spring , like an old grizzly bear , sniffing the wind and carrying a Warbirds 190 under our arm.

And maybe during that winter build we should have taken it to the club meetings and explained how simple it was to make . 

In a nutshell , bringing on one protégé each would secure the future for all of the grizzlies.

• Like 7

I may have missed a post with it in, but what is the final spec for these models, wingspan, weight, motor required and battery?

The reason I ask is because I have a club meeting next Monday and I want to put these models to the club members, so I’ll be taking the build photos (would be good to have one of you holding the FW for size) and any other details with me to see if there’s any interest.

• Like 1

Ron , 

The Fw190 spec is : 54" span . estimated weight less than 5lb , Hand launch kit . (a retract pack will be available to retrofit but lets get one up first and keep it simple ).

Motor spec will be 35 mm or more likely 42mm can, of any KV from 550 to 900 . Can be propped to suit , Will run on one 4s 3300 pack or 2x 3s 2200 in parallel with higher KV motor . In other words , use what you have . I can advise on props and motors for those that already have batteries . 

Aluminium two blade 190 spinner available at £13  , Decal sets also available . Kit Price £139 . 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ron Gray said:

Nah, I've already got one from a screenshot I took off Grimewatch (I mean, did you see the state of his fingers in the earlier photos?)

Richard does not do mug shots as he is wanted by the Chinese model mafia for turning out quality kits cheaper and better than theirs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2