Sign of the times - funnies * Remember this is a family friendly forum and inappropriate postings will be removed without warning.

ken anderson.

6 hours ago, cymaz said:

Don’t get me started on those who don’t know how to use apostrophe’s.👍

We went on holiday to North Yorkshire a couple of months ago, and in Harrogate I noticed that Bettys Tea Rooms is spelt without the apostrophe when it kind of looked as though it needed one. Google says "Bettys lost its apostrophe around fifty years ago, and the exact explanation is lost in time. It is generally believed that the name was thought to look better without one – more distinctive, less messy – and as a brand name was not subject to the same rules as everyday words.".

Not sure I agree!

Advert

2 hours ago, EvilC57 said:

We went on holiday to North Yorkshire a couple of months ago, and in Harrogate I noticed that Bettys Tea Rooms is spelt without the apostrophe when it kind of looked as though it needed one. Google says "Bettys lost its apostrophe around fifty years ago, and the exact explanation is lost in time. It is generally believed that the name was thought to look better without one – more distinctive, less messy – and as a brand name was not subject to the same rules as everyday words.".

Not sure I agree!

I’m sure they’d never spell it T room would they?

Edited by cymaz

3 hours ago, Alex Ferguson 2 said:

Slightly off the humorous side but in this country there are two places officially with 's, Hawke's Bay and Arthur's Pass. The rest are without the apostrophe. So theirs an example. Yes, their apostrophes so it must be theirs.....??? 🤨

Are you saying there are only two places officially with apostrophes, or that Hawke's Bay and Arthur's Pass are examples ?

3 hours ago, PatMc said:

Are you saying there are only two places officially with apostrophes, or that Hawke's Bay and Arthur's Pass are examples ?

The only two that officially are 's and the only two that should be found that way on maps of New Zealand..

New Zealand Geographic Board (part of LINZ), established 1926 replacing Geographical Advisory Board that had been set up in 1924. it is responsible to the Minister for Land Information.

Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) is the public service department of New Zealand charged with geographical information and surveying functions as well as handling land titles, and managing Crown land and property.

As this is a humour thread, try this -

https://nzpocketguide.com/10-funny-place-names-in-new-zealand/

4 hours ago, Alex Ferguson 2 said:

The only two that officially are 's and the only two that should be found that way on maps of New Zealand..

New Zealand Geographic Board (part of LINZ), established 1926 replacing Geographical Advisory Board that had been set up in 1924. it is responsible to the Minister for Land Information.

Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) is the public service department of New Zealand charged with geographical information and surveying functions as well as handling land titles, and managing Crown land and property.

As this is a humour thread, try this -

https://nzpocketguide.com/10-funny-place-names-in-new-zealand/

And this is how to pronounce  the longest place name in the world ......

17 hours ago, Alex Ferguson 2 said:

Slightly off the humorous side but in this country there are two places officially with 's, Hawke's Bay and Arthur's Pass. The rest are without the apostrophe. So theirs an example. Yes, their apostrophes so it must be theirs.....??? 🤨

I remember Arthur's Pass well. We rode it from west to east in 1999 and it's so steep I actually had to walk for about 200 metres and I was on my mountain bike (plus panniers).  They were in the process of building a new road that avoided the steepest part and the summit.

6 hours ago, Geoff S said:

I remember Arthur's Pass well. We rode it from west to east in 1999 and it's so steep I actually had to walk for about 200 metres and I was on my mountain bike (plus panniers).  They were in the process of building a new road that avoided the steepest part and the summit.

In 2000 (as part of the Tandem Rally) we rode to and back from the beach at Marokopa with about 10 tandems. On the way back as light was fading and with a cracking tail wind we sped across the valley floor (actually running out of top gear and spinning, IIRC about 35mph). I don't remember any cars willing to over take such a sight of all shapes and sizes of cycles going that fast! A real slog back up the hill in the near dark, but what a memory. Sue RIP

image.thumb.png.c58c161b519b63df3c083c3b4e1af9ce.png

As a self confessed petrol and diesel lover, I think this latest joke from the government is extremely funny.

"As of 2025 electric car owners will have to pay road tax"  🤣🤣🤣

The phrase "I told you so" springs to mind. Irrespective of who is running the country.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kevin b said:

As a self confessed petrol and diesel lover, I think this latest joke from the government is extremely funny.

"As of 2025 electric car owners will have to pay road tax"  🤣🤣🤣

The phrase "I told you so" springs to mind. Irrespective of who is running the country.

No-one has paid road tax since before WW2.

• Like 1