Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Edgar

I can tell you that the ailerons need a fair bit of differential my Flair 1/4 scale tiggy had 2" up and 1/2" down,and it flew a treat

I now have a 66" tiggy from the premier kit and have the same ratio just scaled down a little,eg 3/4" up and 1/4" down approx.

I have 1" either way on elevator and rudder as much as you want,bear in mind the rudder is very powerful,I would suggest 1" either way for starters.

JIm

Posted by Jim Carss on 08/01/2016 10:58:56:

Edgar

I can tell you that the ailerons need a fair bit of differential my Flair 1/4 scale tiggy had 2" up and 1/2" down,and it flew a treat

I now have a 66" tiggy from the premier kit and have the same ratio just scaled down a little,eg 3/4" up and 1/4" down approx.

I have 1" either way on elevator and rudder as much as you want,bear in mind the rudder is very powerful,I would suggest 1" either way for starters.

JIm

I would certainly agree about aileron differential. My DB 58"ws Tiggie has 20mm up and 10mm down on the ailerons and turns easily without needing rudder input. I've increased that a bit for future flights after the maiden a couple of weeks ago. For details of the control throws see my post further back in this thread.

Geoff

Posted by Jon Laughton on 09/01/2016 08:03:41:

Erf - the picture looks better than reality! And the spanners were for the prop nuts!

Looks nice Jon , good to see that you have gone for the Eflite retracts as a few seem to have had problems in that department in the past. Have you run it up yet ?

Hi All,

I'd just like to share with you my completed own design Short Stirling.

Span 72"

Length 64"

Weight: I was aiming for around the 8lbs mark but it crept past this a little and is nearer 9lbs

Functions: 5 plus landing lights.

Construction: Balsa / ply

Covering: Tissue & Dope with Spectrum paints

Power train: As the TN Sunderland from 4 Max using a single 3s 11.1v 6000mAh Lipo,

May 2014, It all started here by accident, literally - I broke my right hand whilst swimming and ended up in plaster and unable to drive / work and after the first week of boredom I had an idea. Thankfully I'm left handed.

A roll of lining paper, some drawing and measuring equipment and of course a 1/72 Stirling that I had hanging in the workshop.

dsc09733.jpg

January 2015, Finished.

dsc05342 (800x533).jpg

dsc05343 (800x533).jpgdsc05344 (800x533).jpg

Since taking this photos I have put a lens on the landing lights

dsc05267 (800x533).jpg

With such a big open cockpit it needed a crew

dsc05273 (800x533).jpg

Homemade main canopy and bomb aimers canopy.

I must thank Real Model Pilots for the crew and gun turrets they are brilliant and take the model to another level.

For the bit in between the before and after shots take a look at Design and Build Short Stirling blog.

When the weather improves I'll take some better shots and maiden her I hope.

Regards

Robert

I thought you must have a very big workshop when I saw the first picture with the 1/72 model on the table. Fantastic job and superbly finished. If it flies as well as it looks then it's a double winner. Best of luck with the maiden though with the weather as it is I suspect it'll be a few weeks yet.

What motors, battery etc have you got in it? I think your weight estimate was pretty accurate. I find models always end up heavier than you hope but you weren't too far out.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

The design part was done on the breakfast bar in the kitchen. The majority of the build was done in my workshop which was a spare bedroom and the final months were done in my newly fitted out attic which I was going to use as a workshop but I'm a bit too tall that and my wife has allowed me to remain in the spare bedroom. She does sometimes complain that there are planes everywhere.

As for the motors etc they are as follows

Motors: 1100kv, 345w

Props: 8x6 three blade

Esc: 33Amp

Battery: 3s 6000mAh 40c cont 60c burst

Plus a 5amp ubec

Regards

Robert

Here is my Christmas present all assembled and now waiting for that elusive first thermal. This is the 3.0m span Gracia from Topmodel in the Czech Republic. Straightforward assembly, the wings are very nicely put together. The motor is one of the GliderDrive models from HobbyKing, an outrunner inside an outer can with rear exit bullet connectors so no wire to rub inside a narrow nose. I am glad I did not go for the 3.5m span version, room is tight in the workshop with the one I do have.

dsc03971.jpg

Inspired by Percy Verence's comments and help together with the blogs from Stevo and Jim Newbury, I had to build a Ruhig Tigre. This is from the original Colin Dickinson plan at 60" WS. Not flown yet because of the hideous winds and state of the strip.

This is a great model to build (and fly according to PV) but was the reason I couldn't take part in the mas build - I had already started the Tigre and you may see some similarities.

Saito 56 up front. Stickers are completely over the top due to the fact that I gave myself a vinyl cutter for Xmas - great machines!

side 1.jpg

20160130_135006.jpg

Edited By Masher on 30/01/2016 14:33:42