Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Advert

My Veron Mini Robot built from plan download. Fuselage built from balsa and depron, wings from balsa. Covered in laminating film and tissue applied with water based varnish thinned 50/50 with water. Converted to taildragger after smashing the noseleg former on its first flight. Flies beautifully on a little outrunner and 1350mAh 3s battery pack and an 8x6 APCe prop.

IMG_20230531_145706_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230531_145717_HDR.jpg

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Very nice!

How did you apply the tissue and varnish?  I've tried tissue over lam film for my SE5 but always seem to end up with wrinkles......

Thank for your kind comments ☺️

I thin cheap B&Q water based varnish about 50/50 with water, slosh it over the film, spray the tissue to dampen (not soaking wet) lay the tissue over the film avoiding wrinkles, lift the tissue carefully and relaying it if necessary, more thinned wbf brushing out from the centre and using a finger to encourage bubbles out, leave to dry with excess hanging over edge, trim off excess when dry and give one more coat of thinned wbv. Very light and strong and cheap.

Bought this Parkzone Mosquito 49" last year, built by the previous owner but never flown, joins its stable mate that has seen plenty of action converted to 3 blade props. On the floor is the Parkzone micro mossie bought a couple of weeks ago.

Also just fully rebuilt Robbe Concorde

IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_4205.JPG

IMG_4204.JPG

Edited by Frank Day
missed something
  • Like 6

Debut for this recent swapmeet bargain today - I'm on a bit of a Corsair spree at the moment and prepped for the maiden flight of this 1450mm FMS Corsair with some flights with my trusty EFlight 1200mm Corsair F4-U4.

1454708131_3rdjune2023-5.thumb.jpg.325f77f68dc64a13965be6b9538d1e98.jpg

138992013_3rdjune2023-6.thumb.jpg.0655671ac11c1c10bbcf1c78672487fe.jpg

The FMS flies a lot "heavier" and anything below 3/4 throttle just feels like it's ready to drop out of the sky.  Lost a wheel on landing and tipped up, but no damage beyond a torn foam hinge on the rudder. The Eflite has very effective flaps and I think the FMS would also benefit from them.

Picture credits Derek Robertson.

923540009_3rdjune2023-8.thumb.jpg.cb14103cee5e307d54c0a6c1d2dc3d99.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

D-Day 79th Anniversary Commemorative flight completed first thing this morning with my new wee 400mm Volantex P-51D. I try to make a commemorative flight with an appropriate aeroplane as close to the anniversary as possible. I might not make it to the field this weekend with any Spitfires, Typhoon or Mosquito, but the Mustang is flyable just next to the garden, so got the job of getting the flight in the bag.

The newer Volantex offerings have clear canopies and a profile pilot picture, which I prefer to the painted foam canopy on the earlier models. The noseart on this P-51 is very apposite - "Obsession".

IMG_1708.jpg

• Like 5

Great fun down at the funny farm with Osprey's MAC in Essex.

The maiden of the THING went very well except the cheap hobby king motor I used from my spares box threw a magnet.

The model flew great and not a click of trim was needed despite a couple of aborted launches into the long grass.

A really nice flyer!

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-11 at 13.51.10.jpg

• Like 3

Light winds yesterday gave me the chance to test fly my latest build. the Roamin' Rhombus. I downloaded the plan from Outerzone. https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7996

RR1-80.thumb.jpg.72543b8607bd24168bec7a137d70ea59.jpg

RR2-80.thumb.jpg.58514f23dd73ecf0974271eab272148a.jpg

This is a Ken Willard design which dates back to the early 1980's and was mainly built using Aerolite foamboard, which had a plastic covered foam core.  As I had some sheets of 5mm foamboard from Hobbycraft I used that instead.

The original was for i/c, but as you can see I've gone electric instead.

Slightly to my surprise the first flight proved to be relatively drama free.  I moved the C of G slightly forward of the recommended position for the second flight. which made it more comfortable to fly, and I think I'll add a touch of down and right thrust before I fly it again, but overall it handles quite well.  Orientation could prove to be challenging if you fly it too far away though...

• Like 4

Maiden flight for my Graupner Chilli electric glider yesterday. I wasn't particularly impressed with this swapmeet bargain and it's been waiting ages to get that first flight. It was okay-ish, but not very exciting. I'd been under the impression that it was a warmliner, but nothing could be further from the truth. I didn't have a rice pudden in my cool bag, so couldn't really quantify the available power, but it was modest. At best.

On dissassembly after finishing for the day the nylon wing retaining system was unleashed and in the workshop today I saw that it was loose, and easily sheared off on one side, which now renders the Chilli hos de combat unless I can find a replacement. A bit unlikely given a quick look and it might mean replacing the entire system.

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

• Like 1