Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Just finished my new model.  It is based on  my 1984 designed Pee Tee Sportster  Reduced in size and converted to electric power.

I would now say don't reduce the size but built it to the full 54" span.

Now all we want is some rain free days so we can get across the the flying field without being completely bogged down.

Span is 48", Weight 2 lbs 1 oz. CG came out spot on. Same power train as The Ohmen.

DSC02204.thumb.JPG.18fc4f6ad6167906c4ebd6f1a577d3c1.JPGDSC02203.thumb.JPG.9cc471cb74f9064e83141813bf544e5e.JPGDSC02202.thumb.JPG.82c0f455dff730a6caf7bcb465ce08ad.JPG

• Like 7

Just finished sorting this one out, Electric powered on 6s, 10lbs ready to fly, it is set up up on a 15x8 prop which is producing 1220 Watts, the torque off the prop is huge and opened up with me holding it on the ground it is trying to torque roll! It has a reasonable amount of right thrust built in, i may try a 14x10 prop to see if it lessons the torque effect, It is ready to test fly once i have settled on the better of these two props. Bought this as a used model, already set up for electric but have made some mods, installed a removable battery tray, made a shelf under the motor to take the rx battary to get the weight further foward and also take the lead needed to balance it on my 3300mh 6s packs. Any thoughts on these vintage 63" span Sport Scale Reeves Spitfires appreciated.

IMG_20240306_140525_resized_20240306_051707693.jpg

IMG_20240306_140517_resized_20240306_051708987.jpg

IMG_20240306_164505_resized_20240306_051704950.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks, one of the other club members has a nice one with a powerfol O.S 2 stroke in it, flies really nicely and weighs about the same as mine, just concerned about the torque roll effect the 15x8 prop is giving, may go with the 14x10 which may reduce the effect. This is Richards Reeves Spit...............

lakeside2.jpg

Edited by martin collins 1
  • Like 1

Years of reading model mags and huge amounts of balsa dust, Glue fumes and paint fumes have had a negative impact on my resistance levels and ability to think clearly at times. I have just paid for a new airframe that I will only get in a months time when My son is on holiday in Durban. It was built by a very well known and respected South African modeller so I could not help myself as it has been on my must build list for 20 years!

BE1.jpg

BE2.jpg

• Like 16

On 13/02/2024 at 16:13, leccyflyer said:

Getting ready for a fly tomorrow. I'd planned to remaiden my Durafly Spitfire to Seafire XVII transformation and had put a dust coat of satin WBPU on this morning. However when I came to check the controls I found two dodgy Durafly servos, so she's gone back below deck for those to be changed out - too dodgy to risk a flight, so she won't be going to the field tomorrow. Plenty of other aeroplanes will be making the trip though - but no maiden flights.

336167423_seafirefinishedside2.thumb.jpg.a6bd7b6071f647cdba997e69814b429f.jpg

Im not a Spitfire person but I like the look of this one, I had two of these for some reason a while back, V1 with 4 blade and a V2 with the 5 blade, I remember the 5 blade V2, blades from HK International and hub/spinner from USA via family but they nosed over as soon as they saw grass so they got moved on.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

I had that Spitfire in the 1980's, a bit under powered with an OS.61 four stroke.

The Beaufighter is a great flyer ( unlike the Mosquito), mine with twin Saito .45s,,

Beaufighter Finished 2.JPG

I wouldn't like to put a 61 fs in a Durafly Spitfire  Paul.

I had a successfully maiden flight of my Wasp from Cloud Models yesterday. I wanted something cheap, simple, and fast, that I could happily fly in windy weather and the Wasp seemed to be ideal for that with a 39" span veneered foam wing and a basic box fuselage. The airframe is designed to comply with the simple E2K pylon race rules, so I kitted it out with an E2K legal power system - 1500kv motor, 4s 2200 Lipo, 8x8 prop, and a rev limiting (15,000rpm max) ESC. I don't have any plans to race it, but at least I have that option.

After a check over by a clubmate (a second pair of eyes is always a good idea with a new model), a range check, and a fail-safe check, another clubmate volunteered to launch it.

Conditions were decidedly breezy and turbulent low down so the launch with plenty of power and a bit of 'up' was "interesting", but sanity recovered once I throttled back. The following 4 minute flight with the odd loop and roll thrown in showed it had promise of being a good model. The throws and trim were about right, but I need to move the CG forward a bit before the next flight and add a fair bit of expo to cope with the large speed range - lots of throw for slowish aerobatics or fast tight pylon turns, but at full throttle it is very twitchy straight and level.

Dick

Wasp upper.jpg

Wasp lower.jpg

Edited by Dickw
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tosh McCaber said:

Hi Dick,

That's very nice.  Apart froom 1500kv, what are the other motor specs?

The rules for E2K are on this page :-  https://pylonracing.co.uk/bmpra-rules/

but the basic motor details are :-

5.3.7.3 Powertrain
(a) Batteries – Any lipo battery may be used with a maximum of 4 cells.
(b) The only motors permitted will be:-
Turnigy SK3-3536-1400kV Aerodrive XP Outrunner,
Overlander Thumper 3536/05 all versions,
NTM Prop drive series 35-36A 1400kV.

I got my power system from Nexus who have a section on E2K approved gear. The Thumper motor is the 1500kv one, but with the ESC limiting to 15,000 rpm kv is not critical.

Dick

the last toy i bought a f22 banana hobby rc jet and it scares there ever living daylights out to me to fly because its just so twitchy and fast 

428355_10200314734058962_90422979_n.jpg

Edited by Martin Harris - Moderator
Edited bad language. @DavyW22 - please refer to the code of conduct regarding acceptable language on this forum.

On 09/03/2024 at 02:15, DavyW22 said:

the last toy i bought a f22 banana hobby rc jet and it scares there ever living daylights out to me to fly because its just so twitchy and fast 

428355_10200314734058962_90422979_n.jpg

Do you use Rates?

Edited by Martin Harris - Moderator
Bad language edited in quote

21 hours ago, Dickw said:

The rules for E2K are on this page :-  https://pylonracing.co.uk/bmpra-rules/

but the basic motor details are :-

5.3.7.3 Powertrain
(a) Batteries – Any lipo battery may be used with a maximum of 4 cells.
(b) The only motors permitted will be:-
Turnigy SK3-3536-1400kV Aerodrive XP Outrunner,
Overlander Thumper 3536/05 all versions,
NTM Prop drive series 35-36A 1400kV.

I got my power system from Nexus who have a section on E2K approved gear. The Thumper motor is the 1500kv one, but with the ESC limiting to 15,000 rpm kv is not critical.

Dick

Thanks for that Dick!  It'll be pretty fast?

Edited by Tosh McCaber

Hi Paul,  Looks good!  I've had a SlowPoke kit sitting in its box since just before HK pulled out of the UK- 3 years back? (too many models!!)  From all reports then, it flies fine, if a little fast rather han slow! Must get going on it!

In light of what I've heard on various forums from other HK users, relating to servo failures, I may pull out the servos, and replace them.  Anyone reading have problems with HK servos- surely they can't all be bad?

Anyway good luck with yours- let us know how it flies!

2 minutes ago, Tosh McCaber said:

Hi Paul,  Looks good!  I've had a SlowPoke kit sitting in its box since just before HK pulled out of the UK- 3 years back? (too many models!!)  From all reports then, it flies fine, if a little fast rather han slow! Must get going on it!

In light of what I've heard on various forums from other HK users, relating to servo failures, I may pull out the servos, and replace them.  Anyone reading have problems with HK servos- surely they can't all be bad?

Anyway good luck with yours- let us know how it flies!

Hi Tosh

It's the "standard" 9g Durafly servos - HK own brand - which have caused problems. Just in our mutual club myself, Jim J, Steve and I believe possibly Mike, have all had issues with the Durafly servos failing. At my local club at least two of us have had Durafly servo failures. At least half a dozen crashes directly attributable to those servo failures - On the Hobbyking site those servos used to be about two quid each - they don't appear to be listed at the moment. I routinely swap them out now and won't take a chance on them.