Dave Burton (BEB)

I'm sorry to say that Dave Burton, BEB as many of you will know him, passed away yesterday after his long illness. He was 62.

Given 12 months to live some 3 years ago, Dave defied the odds and showed incredible determination over this time, never letting his life be defined by his illness, living life to the full, maintaining his forum involvement, flying often and all with amazing good humour. 

Over the years he became a forum moderator but one of the main contributors here too, helping many people, or injecting a good dose of common sense and calm logic when needed. Either that or, as a professor of engineering, advice based on sound knowledge and experience.

Dave was a clever guy but one of the kindest I've met. Not only did he play a huge role in helping to steer this forum but was always there when technical advice was needed in relation to RCM&E magazine, for which he also wrote many popular articles.

He'll be hugely missed and I know forum members will join me in sending sincerest condolences to Julie, Owen and Laura.

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 31/12/2018 19:06:13

This is really sad news indeed.

I spoke to BEB about this quite recently and he was completely at peace with his situation.
In fact, he was rather chuffed with how much he'd cost the NHS after contibuting for so long.
Always cheerful and always very positive about his condition. He was quite the inspiration.

Our thoughts are with his family at this difficult time.

I'm truly saddened - this was the news I've been dreading. I had many conversations both through the forum and by PM with Dave - always with great respect for his deep knowledge and sensible viewpoints. My biggest regret is never meeting him in person.

Dave, rest in peace and know you will be missed by all your friends on this forum.

Very sorry to hear that. I'd hoped to meet him at the recent Ashbourne Scale day but he messaged me that he was too ill to attend. I'll always be sorry I didn't get the opportunity because I felt we had many things in common.

Condolences to his family and to his many personal friends and club-mates.

Geoff

what a terrible shame, I knew he wasn't well.l met Dave at one of the first off RCME/green acres meetings and what a nice lad he was. He and I kept in touch via the forum after that. What can I say other than it was a pleasure meeting and knowing him and my condolences go out to his family...RIP Dave.....fond memories...a great loss ..

ken anderson...ne..1..Dave Burton dept.

Much to my regret, I only met Dave in person on a couple of occasions, at Greenacres, although we've spent many hours chatting on Skype in the mods' backroom over the past few years. His down-to-earth, plain-speaking Liverpudlian (Cheshire?) background very much belied his brilliance as an academic and engineer. He decided to retire early from his university position to enjoy the remainder of his time and, it would seem that he was a hard, nay almost impossible, act to replace.

To add to that, his attitude once he'd learned the prognosis was to accept it and carry on living through fortnightly chemo sessions with sheer bloody-mindedness, willpower and determination. So much so that he defied all the medical predictions and he seemed to just carry on, way beyond his expected time, much to their amazement. During that time he continued his aeromodelling with an enthusiam which would put many to shame and he took to cycling regularly to maintain his fitness, even partaking in charity rides for the benefit of others.

He wasn't super-human and he would have been the first to agree but his courage during this time has been both daunting and inspiring. His loss will be felt most keenly by his family and close friends, of course, but this evening I am deeply saddened by the loss of a great character and, I hope, good friend.

RIP, Dave

Pete

I could hardly believe it when i saw this thread.

I joined the forum in 2007 and Dave has always been here offering advice and calmly judging over any issues. I don't know what to say,it's such a shock that he won't be here or in the magazine anymore. God bless to Dave and his family. And Dave.....Thanks for all your help over the years.

Andrew