Local club attendance

I am the membership secretary for a small club in Solihull, we have 37 club members, the clubs facilities are modest being a mown area in the centre of a field we rent from the farmer. The club gets positive comments on the friendly atmosphere from visitors.

So I ask why is it that the attendance on the club meeting days is so poor with only 5 or 6 members turning up to fly?

Do other clubs have a similar experience?

Our membership is about the same as yours. We've got three or four regulars who turn up whenever weather permits, and on a good day we probably get about ten flyers. In summer it's sometimes worse because of holidays and, as many of us get older, we often don't fly in weather that wouldn't have troubled us 10 or 20 years ago!

Its been the same every single year these last 20 years Mel

My club has run about 20% of club total all this time

We have 6 out of 30 on a good day, but usually 4 flyers.

If you discover the secret ingredient that is missing, then please tell me

Like you, we have a great mown strip in an isolated, non noise sensitive area, with a huge sky

Mel, if you are talking about actual meetings then over in Coleshill I think it's a similar situation. I don't know for sure because I don't attend club meetings as a rule, but then I have a sicknote from my mum. Unless your meeting room has the space for indoor flying, swap meets, visiting speakers and the like then I suspect you are only likely to get commitee members and those living close to the meeting site. We've gone down from weekly club nights to once a month.

Now you know why model shops are closing and manufacturers are going bust !

It is the same with our (very) small club.

Although many people have more leisure time these days there seems to be more to fill it. Particularly with interests that require less brain input and dexterity than ours. Creativity seems to have been replaced with instant gratification.

I also think that the changing weather patterns over the last few years are not helping. People try to plan their activities well in advance these days and we just cannot do that, having to make the best of any opportunities as they present themselves.

There is no answer. Just enjoy your hobby as much as possible and encourage anyone else who shows an interest in joining you. That is what I am doing.

The good side is that our hobby has never been so inexpensive and I for one am making the best of it while it lasts !

Posted by Mel Jones on 01/07/2019 09:28:47:

I am the membership secretary for a small club in Solihull, we have 37 club members, the clubs facilities are modest being a mown area in the centre of a field we rent from the farmer. The club gets positive comments on the friendly atmosphere from visitors.

So I ask why is it that the attendance on the club meeting days is so poor with only 5 or 6 members turning up to fly?

Do other clubs have a similar experience?

Don’t get too despondent. Our club is exactly the same. In my view, a club’s main aim is to get on well with its neighbors and have a good working relationship with all nearby clubs. That way the club can stay open due to no noise issues and interact with other local fliers.

I am a Member of a small Club which this year started a 'WhatsApp' Group for Members which enables very quick & easy passing of the 'Who's going flying' type of messages, which have been successful in increasing flying field attendance.

Out of a Membership of 24, sixteen have joined the WhatsApp Group & we typically see a third to half the Membership on our 2 main flying days a week. There has also been a noticeable increase in attendance on other days when if someone posts, eg, 'Lovely day I'm going down the strip at 2pm' invariably they will have company.

On the back of this a local Slope Soaring Club, which I am also a Member of, have also started a WhatsApp Group which has also proved popular.

In each case WhatsApp is a supplement, and not a substitute, for other Club communications.

Try Teamup, it’s a free on line calendar/ events system that can be linked to your own calendars. You put up a day / time when you plan to go flying then all members get notified about the event and also when others add their names as attendees.

I am a member of a kit car club with a couple of hundred registered members but only abouit 20 turn up for AGMs, camping weekends, Christmas d'dos, and shows ( even when the bbq is free) It is not just model clubs that suffer from poor attendance and apathy.

I am one of those nasty non attenders.

I used to fly regularly at my club and very regularly when living in the US, but now I struggle to find time. It doesn’t mean the desire and commitment has gone, quite the contrary. I haven’t flown at the club site since Aug last year, although I have flown a few models at work before we open; I’m an airport manager so have plenty of space and my own authority to fly in the FRZ. I have also built a 1/4 scale Nieuport 17, a Wingbat 48e and assembled lost of ARFs and am a committed builder.

My problem is, that between running an airport, being a full size pilot and normal family commitments (9 yr old), I don’t seem to get time and when I do,the weather is bad, so I potter off and build some more planes or tinker.

I'm hoping this week to get to the field.....

i sense, I’m not alone here and not have the luxury (I look forward to)of having more time retired.

We've got one hundred members and struggle to get people to the field. Not that I can talk, I work abroad so I'm one of the 85 who rarely attend.

We've got a camera that can be accessed via the club website. The idea being that you can see the pits area and car park so you can see who else is there.

We are a medium + club with a cap of 100 members and a waiting list. Sunday, the traditonal flying day can be quite quiet, but with the boom in electric flying and the availablity of the field 7 days a week for electric and gliders ( power Wed.s pm , Saturday all day and Sunday am) many members fly any day so we don't get a large turn out except on special events. We are required by the club to sign in anyone on the field flying or not so we see a good spread of members over the week when we check the logbook.

John

Small club here, 45 ish members. Probably 10 real regular flyers in there, another 10 regular(ish) flyers, and the rest are occasionals.

Wed evening / weekend slots tend to be well attended if the weather is good.

Monthly evening club meetings, I can rarely make them (young family, etc) - same for weekend flying. I usually get to the patch in a "stretched" work lunchtime, which is one of the quietest times at the patch, or for the Wednesday evening slot. To the rest of the club I don't look that regular!

My club has a cap on membership at 160 members at the request of the Farmer who owns the land.It is always full with people on a waiting list to join.

I Have been a member since 2009. In all that time I doubt if I have met more than 50 members! Its always the same 20 or 30 that seem to be the ones who might be there on any given day. Much the same crowd on cleanup days.

We have had discussions about stopping people being members if they never attend, so as to let some in off the waiting list, but its a difficult one.

I used to be a member of a 100 member club. With a waiting list. The bloke who serviced my car was a flyer, and he was teaching his son to fly. He moaned that he passed the gates to the club, locked, no one flying, far more often than not.

I raised the issue, suggesting we increase the membership numbers. Shot down in flames, by a comment of a long term member. "I like it as it is, and what happens if they all turn up"

And I could not decide if I wished to strangle him, or buy him a pint.