Winter is here....who's been flying?

Bit of a "vintage" day at my club yesterday. 12C and light winds.

One of our members has built a Radio Queen and flew it for the first time yesterday. It was massively overpowered which made it twitchy on the controls so he only flew one circuit before landing it on the runway. It glided well.

I flew my Big Guff but could not get the Guidato's engine to run reliably so that stayed on the ground.

There will be little opportunity to fly over the next few weeks because of a large military excercise taking place in the area.

Maiden Flight 15th Feb 2023 (1).JPG

Maiden Flight 15th Feb 2023 (2).JPG

Maiden Flight 15th Feb 2023 (3).JPG

DSC02123.JPG

Just one short flight today. Field was soaked, car parking area underwater, 100% overcast, wind starting to get up and started raining just after hand launching - can't fly in the rain with my glasses, can't see without them. So an hour having a blether in the club hut, then back home for tea and wads. Roll on spring.

A bit blustery, but mostly down the runway so ok if you had something with a bit of wing loading. A couple of foamboard Versa flights along with the GTC which coped will in the conditions if pushed along at pace.

Quite surprise at how well the P38 flew although it does feel heavy for a foamy and feels like a bigger warbird than it actually is. 

image.thumb.png.5cd3add6149cef53b79c1d12d37fd07f.png 

Only casualty of the day was the wooden prop on the Texan 

• Like 2

Lovely morning. Flat calm at 8:00, increasing by 2mph per hour.  Valiant's hatch refused to stay in place after fitting larger tank 🤥 Something odd happening with Ruckus ailerons _ but engine tuned nicely. Riot and Viper enjoyed the day... as did Andy's leccy fleet and 'new Kevs' super quick SLEC Funfly and little grey delta...

Nice morning.

• Like 1

All flying at my club's site is prohibited until 9th March because the French air force is holding a large exercise involving extremely low level flying, not that I've seen any evidence of this yet. Of all of the model aeroplane clubs in France only two are affected and one of them just had to be mine!

Meanwhile, I've four models to repair: Guidato spun "brutalement" into the ground last Saturday and broke her fuselage; Harvard needs the cowl fixing blocks replacing; ARTF Acrowot's plywood undercarriage plate has de-laminated and my entry for La Coupe Des Barons needs the radio and engine installing.

I'd better get on with it.

Super day today, started off freezing cold with a moderate wind - when I say freezing cold, I mean proper, two pairs of gloves cold. Brrrrrrr.

However by lunchtime the sun had come out, the wind dropped to zero and it was warm enough to lose the gloves, eventually to lose the coats and hats too. Lots of flying, few mishaps. best fun for me was mixing it up with the wee Volantex fighters - happy to give some clubmates a go, they really are brilliant to fly, even in wind, but especially so when it's calm and clear.

19 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Same beach!

Where do you fly?

I fly at Winterton in North Lincs and have a caravan at PV. I also fly at the various cliffs around PV and attend the slope gatherings meets in May and September. Where do you fly?